Diesels 101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can any of you cruiserheads give me a list of what diesel models come from which brands of vehicles, weights, pro-cons? I'm trying to locate an affordable engine for my 60, but my brain gets hazed over from all the different types.

Example:
4BT
6BT
Cummings models?

and the many more that are talked about knowledgeably on this forum.

Many thanks.
:confused:

No offence, but there is no "G" in Cummins.

The 4 and 6 Cummins models came in all sorts of trucks.

The 6.2 and 6.5 General Motors engines came in cars and trucks. At least the 6.2 came in cars. The 6.5 came in both. Mostly during the middle 80's.

Stay away, FAR AWAY, from any GM 5.7 liter diesels, if there are any still around. They are the WORST "diesel" engine that was ever manufactured hands down!

cruiser_guy said:
Stay away, FAR AWAY, from any GM 5.7 liter diesels, if there are any still around. They are the WORST "diesel" engine that was ever manufactured hands down!

That's because it wasnt designed as a "diesel" engine. They took the venerable 350 and turned (well they tried) it into a diesel.

Bad news. Really bad news.

My uncle had a 5.7 diesel when they came out, and he said that he replaced everthing in that engine. Before everything broke though, it was great!!

Check out japanese diesels, specifically Toyota diesels that came in later Cruisers. The 1HZ the 1HDT the 1HDFT. There are alot of good engines out there.

I've read that the 4BT is the best for running WVO, but I don't know if that is true or not.

:beer:

Here's which engines I would look for in order.
Toyota 6 cyl diesels. They are smooth, quiet and durable. All are found in Land cruisers
Parts are hard to get in the US. The 2H and 1HZ 6cyl's are the most popular, and at least sold on this continent, and parts are atainable . The 2H and any of the "B" engines (4 cyl) are too slow for US driving conditions in my opinion. The 6cyl turbo diesel (12HT??) rare and pricey. I would look for a 1HZ.
Being in FLorida, we are at the far opposite corner of the country where any diesel land cruisers are.

4BT Cummins. Probably the most durable and economical. I've seen and worked on them in generators, but I've only seen one in an automotive application. It was in a 1 ton bread van at an auction. I should have bought it.. I see that they are used in Frito Lay trucks too. I've never driven one, but from what I've read here and other forums, they are plenty powerful. They are pretty loud. I would imagine you would need good motor mounts to isolate the vibration. You'll probably find these on generators, air compressors, refrigeration units or just about any industrial application. I have yet to see one in a boat though.

6AT cummins. I don't know much about these, There are some Land Cruisers running around people have put these engines in.

6.2/6.5 GM diesel. Cheapest and easiest to find. They don't excel at any one thing, but don't have many drawbacks either. Except the 94 newer are computer controlled would be a pain to wire and the circuit boards go bad in the inj pumps all the time. If you are looking at these, PM me and I'll give you the rundown on the better years and what to look for. You're average decent diesel engine.

6BT Cummins. Kind of big. Would be a tight fit. I've heard of people putting them in FJ55's and FJ60's. Would be too powerful for the stock drive train in my opinion.

On any of these, Lots of research to be done! You need to see if flywheels are available, which transmissions can be used, bell housings, will starters fit in certain bell housings with desired flywheel. Correct transmission input shaft length. trans input shaft splines. Will clutch linkage work with certain bell housings, etc , etc. You can't be in a hurry. That's for sure!

After driving a 12H-T mated to an H55f, I'm ruined for life.

If I were insane enough to do a diesel swap, I'd go 4BT- buy the delivery truck, yank stuff, sell the carcass.

I bought a 1994 1HZ/h55 combo to put into my HJ60.

It isnt all that cheap, but what a great motor.

Correction: Search Fritota not fritola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom