Dieselcruiserhead's sweet buildup - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That damn dirty hippy Andre has me drooling over a 4BT. Andre is the MAN, and his 55 rides/drives/works really well; it's one of my inspirations for when I build my other 55. :cool:

:beer: Andre (unless it involves spinning floors and puke covered stop signs).

I too have dreamed of a 4bt in my 55 but havent had the means. It looks like a really sweet setup. Great post with lots of tech pics and a very cool rig.

E

Sweet sweet pig project. Someday I will get my dieselpig project out of the way. Sooner or later that 2F has gotta go.

4bt engines

One of the most popular applications for the 4bt was in Frito-lay deliver vans they were coupled with turbo 400 transmissions. It actually makes a pretty complete swap.

Ryan.

lingo said:
What did the 4bt come in originally?

The 4BT/TH400 combo would be pretty sluggish in a Cruiser unless you had larger tires and fast axles. To maintain highway speeds and have better fuel economy, the 4BT needs an overdrive tranny. Some 4Bt's are also governed. While driving my Frito Lay van from Northern Cali back to Colorado, it would top out at about 58mph.

Like Andre, I chose a NV4500 to go behind my 4BT in my FJ60. Also, many of the TH400's in the Frito Lay vans are from a Cadillac. It is a different casing compared to the regular GM models. As far as I know, no adaptor available to mate to LC transfer case.

Andre,
Great write up and pics on the conversion. Unfortunately, I did not get many pics when I did mine. Again, thanks for all the info and advice that you gave me. I love my 4BT60 and I owe it all to you. I'll buy the next round when I see ya again.
Later,
John

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments... You too John, we'll defeinely have a beer together next Moab or if I ever make it out there :)

do you have any ball park idea of what it cost to set it up?? like mentioned, the 2F has to go sometime.... but when?? i have kinda been beatin around the idea of a SBC400, nv4500 and undecided on the t-case....

the 2F/4spd and 35" tires SUCK for gearing...

the 465 is ok for wheelin, but driving around isnt the best, i live 300 miles from home, so i will be drivin the pigly wigly back and fourth for holidays, so i want a good tranny if its manual i want a nv4500 or if auto 700r4... i am gonna take my time and save some money and do a really good tranny

really the only thing that makes me not want a 400 is the gas milage.. terrible... the 4BT seems pretty cool, but i have read minimal info on it..

Setup really depends on what you get it for, but word for the wise they are not cheap. $2500 seems aobut going rate these days! There is a Vortec 350 complete for $900 in the classifieds and the mileage is almost as good. That is honestly the route I would take, the big reason I went for the 4BT was because the one I got was cheap. Honestly the diesels are very cool but not $2500 versus $900 for a Vortec 350 cool. IMO.. You will spend just as much on conversion parts like radiator, exhaist etc if not more.. Then factor in the 4500 or a built 700R4 or 4L60E or 4L80E and adapters, etc. It adds up very quick... It seems normal to all of us but is very expensive, very real world expensive when there and much better things you could do with the thousands you'll end up spending.. Food for thought I suppose from someone who's been down the road...

thats kinda what i was thinkin.. i saw the vortec.. that would be a sweet setup, like you said *relativly* cheap.... i could spend the 2 or 3 grand i saved on the diesel and do a seriously kick ass tranny and still have some money left over... i think thats what i will do, plus it seems to me that vertec parts would be easier to come by in moab/mom and pop towns than it would be for a 4BT,

imagine that conversation..

i need XXX for a cummins 4bt...

"ok, what did it come in?"

me, "typically a frito lay truck or XXX"

them giving me a blank look like WTF???

Well probably not my money cause I don't have too much, I'm just young and luckily no kids or wife yet (27 now, jeez)... And at the time I did have a lot of time. Not too much any more unfortubately. But not giving up... yet... Andre

Great read Andre, really dig hippy chicks as I lived in the great white north of BC and met my share of tree planting gals.

Your axle problem with the thin housing was something I fixed for a suzuki guy who pulled his puerches right off the housing. We took tube roughy the same size, tack heats bent to for the housing then welded into place.

Working great to this day.

dieselcruiserhead said:
Finished up the thread for anyone interested...

I am:D

great rite-up dre, enjoyed it thourghly(sp?). i have the same problem with the rust comming up under the sliders(yours exactly same as mine) i have just put up with it but it has noticeably been spreading and a small chunk of lower fender sheet fell off a coupe weeks ago, so i need to do something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom