1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diesel wrangler

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by beaufort-fj60, Aug 15, 2005.

1. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
  2. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

This month's Car and Driver had a review on the Liberty Diesel. They equalled the experience to the diesel domestic cars of the early 80's.

3. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    don't get me wrong, but car and driver also said that the 4runner was not that good offroad because it was ugly, that sounds like something my wife would say.

4. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the idea of a diesel Wrangler, if only Toyota would offer something like that here. Either FourWheeler or Petersens 4wheel & Offroad had an arcticle within the last couple of months on the diesel liberty where they flew to Africa and to test a diesel liberty; the test drivers where not overly impressed.

5. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    i agree, it's a good idea

by the way, the liberty is a chick car about equivalent to a golf convertible. i do not think and self respecting man would admit to liking the jeep liberty

6. tltaylor22

tltaylor22

Don't get me wrong, I drive TDI but diesel prices have gone through the roof more than gas has. I pay 35 cents more than premium here in utah. I just read an article that basically stated that companies are shooting themselves in the foot making diesel cars and trucks right now as there is a huge shortage of fuel for them. Refineries can either make a lot of gas or a lot of diesel out of crude. Most refineries in the world are set up for the gas option. It will be a decade before new refineries are built and online to produce more diesel. as of right now china is buying every drop they can get. guess i need to get my biodiesel still going.

Trent

7. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Well I'll try not to but the article in the link below mentions "ugly climate controls" and other than that rates the 4-runner low on the list based on poor overhood visibility due to a fake hood scoop, an open rear diff, and irritating interference from the decent control. Read the summary at the end for all the info and you'll also notice the departure angle is only average. I do however agree that C&D does not do well at explaining their reasoning behind off road vehicle rankings. Diesel link as well.

4-Runner article
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9264&page_number=1

Heep Liberty Diesel article
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=9834&page_number=1

Cheers.

8. cruiserman

cruiserman

That sucks for a little diesel. The Ram typically gets about 20MPG.

9. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

And the new (next year) Ram petrol should be decent as well with cylinder deactivation.

10. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    you're not that guy from the car and driver show are you?

11. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

LOL, No but I was in Ann Arbor last year on business and decided to drop by their office. Met Csaba Csere, Brock Yates, and others. Yates was one of the original cannonball run guys. Very nice secretary nick named "Maltese Princess" gave me a few free sweatshirts out of the deal.

12. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
  13. Exiled

Exiled

I drive a VW TDI daily and while yes, diesel has gone up even more than gas, I still get a LOT better mileage (averaging about 45 right now) than I would with a petrol one.

Slight comment: More refineries in the world are set up for diesel, as this is a more common fuel across the world than it is in the US. The problem is that it takes more gallons of crude to produce a gallon of diesel than it does to produce a gallon of petrol, so when there's a shortage or there's a price spike, diesel suffers more.

Remember the biodiesel alternative, too.

If they come out with a diesel Wrangler, I'll certainly consider it as a daily driver, I think that would be nice.

14. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

My 2001 TDI Jetta averages around 52mpg. Ive gotten 62 with it before.

I'd buy a CDI Wrangler in a heart beat, but the communists in our Washington state house and senate just passed tougher emision laws than the peoples republic of Kalifornia, so I doubt we'll see it.

DAMN IT!

15. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Yeah, they kept on bitching about the hood scoop getting in their line of sight. Big deal, you can get one without it. And it's only like an inch and a half tall. of course they didn't mention that.