Diesel vs Gasser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

77 I thought you had sold the motor I am sure you are wanting going market price for it which I would have to decline I am sure I can pull another JDM out of Japan with under 200ks and if real lucky a set of lockers for less than 4k probably have to settle on an auto box seems 5 spd are getting fewer out of auction.

Comment on rebuilding injector pumps and such I have been fortunate to never had to do that in the 25 years of dieseling,I would not consider rebuiding a diesel motor they are disposable in my opinion if they get to a point of needing a complete rebuild by then I would have clocked 400k of enojyment out of it.
As stated we all throw bucket loads of cash to fixup , repair , and make our cruiser nicer so long as we enjoy it and I am having lots of fun and enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:
the motor i was talking about is the H and the 2H. i've had injector pumps fail on both. EDIC motors fail on both. had to do injectors on the H. the H service schedual was every 5k kilometers. the 2f in the 40 lives nicely enough on 10k kilometer service intervals, and when it needs a fuel filter, it's a $2 cheapy, not 2 x expensive filters on the Hj45. oil filter is 10 times cheaper for the 2f than the H.

the 40 has had the same coil/distributer for 10 years. same carb (no rebuild). heck, only one set of plugs and leads in that time.

i was only talking about service items. if you want to throw in vaccum leaks, i'll see them and raise you fuel system leaks (injector seals failing, priming pump seal failing) not to mention the fun ones, multiple cracked heads/head gaskets... all the diesels i experienced were younger than 300 000 kilometers. my 2f in the 40 was well over 300 000 when i got it, and i've put another 200 000 on it since without a fuss.

diesel has it's place. not knocking them outright, but as a DD, they don't usually work out cheaper if you do the sums fully. (and remember, older diesels HATE stop start traffic and sludge/carbon up)

you can buy a HJ61 for $5K with lockers shipped to vancouver, pay the tax etc?
damn, you are WAY better at this than i am. i can not even find a HJ61 for $5K in Japan and with the cost of the yen right now?
lets work backwards, shall we?
$5K landed at your door.
$1200 shipping
$800 for dealer in Japan (auction fees)
$300 for trucking in Japan
-------
$2700 buying cost in Japan in CND
$2700 is 225000 JPY.
so you can purchase a good running HJ61 with lockers for 225,000 JPY??

<and that isn't allowing for $600 at customs>

you are exceptional.

in all seriousness, you should get into importing these trucks for parts. i know a few of us have been watching the auctions for such deals. engines are extremely hard to find these days.

Dont want to get into debate on this one at the time the 61 was 250k for LC, 900 RoRo, 1k taxes ,100 mods for certifacation,600 for agent, vehicle auction was in port no trucking fees just loading fee and cleaning fee,its been 2 years since I have brought in anything so realistically it may cost me over 5k but number crunching after parting out and selling off the extras I could get the swap down to 1k or less.
Yes the Yen is higher now and RORO is about 1200 now but fluctuates depending time of year and demand, prices will probably drop with nothing moving right now,I am cheap I max my bids at 250 and eventually I luck out and get one that goes for max bid or less,I am patient and review auctions daily and agent always searches for me,I am not fussy a little rust or a dent is no issue to me it just adds to my project list luckily I enjoy working on them and this is not a profit thing for me I buy them drive and enjoy them then sell them off and bring in another.
The 44 in the avatar only cost me 4K all said and done but that was over 4yrs ago the ambi door 62 to date has just over 5k invested in it but has cost me about 5k in gas since I brought it in thats why I am thinking hard on the diesel swap.

I have considered on bringing in for part outs but the neighbours might get p_ssed with me I already have 5 in the driveway and a couple at my summer cottage they just shake their heads at me when I switch insurance on a different one every couple of months or another one shows up in the driveway the circus begins when I have to move 4 out of the driveway to get the 5th one out,but seriously I know parts are like gold around these parts if the price is right most guys are priced high but the market seems to accept it so kudos to them.

Last edited:
I have considered on bringing in for part outs but the neighbours might get p_ssed with me I already have 5 in the driveway and a couple at my summer cottage they just shake their heads at me when I insure a different one every couple of months or another one shows up in the driveway the circus begins when I have to move 4 out of the driveway to get the 5th one out,but seriously I know parts are like gold around these parts if the price is right most guys are priced high but the market seems to accept it so qudos to them.

Interesting Dieseler..

So you can import a dead "non running truck " without customs getting upset ?

VT

I can't get a non runner in it has to be driven onto boat so it has to start and drive I have never tried container loading like SOR does and others do for 1/2 cuts that gets sketchy if you dont have someone reliable loading up container,you can bring in any vehicle on a salvage tittle.
If a runner is brought in you do not have to register and drive it,it can sit in your driveway till it rots or you can chop it up there is no follow up that I am aware of customs and the provincial registration agency are not linked to follow up on entries,customs does not pass info to the province you have to produce the customs papers to the registration agency when registering vehicle if you do not have custom papers you hit a road block.
I have a 41 that has been sitting in my driveway for 2 years now and has not been registered provincially no inquires as of yet... customs got their money so they will not do any follow up on it and the province does not know it exists till I start the certifacation process.
Not sure if anyone else has had any different of an experience and it may differ province to province like Quebec who hate RHDs.

WARNING if your I's are not dotted and T's crossed you will be in for a night mare this is not a simple proccess with out brokers which add to cost.

Last edited:
actually a debate is good since suddenly anyone that reads this thread will think they can score a good HJ61 for $5K landed in Vancouver which isn't the case.
it sounds like you bought when the yen was 125 but now it is 85 that is a 40% increase in cost for Canadians buying from Japan. HUGE difference.
i remember when i could buy a REALLY nice Cruiser for $5K to $7K and shipping was $450, rail was $250, auction fees were $600. those days are years gone.
finding a decent HJ61 is not a matter of just glancing at the auctions and going "here is my bid of 300,000 JPY, buy it". now a decent HJ61 high mileage is $6k to $9K. the fees are 80,000 JPY to 100,000 JPY. the JPY is 85 to the canadian dollar, you can't ship anything for under $1000.

it IS important that readers realize you are talking the past purchasing power and not todays purchasing power.

plus now we also have to watch for flood vehicles being shipped to the non-flood areas to be sold for good money.

i am not saying you are lying or deceitful at all, what i am saying it that the past is not the present.

Dont want to get into debate on this one at the time the 61 was 250k for LC, 900 RoRo, 1k taxes ,100 mods for certifacation,600 for agent, vehicle auction was in port no trucking fees just loading fee and cleaning fee,its been 2 years since I have brought in anything so realistically it may cost me over 5k but number crunching after parting out and selling off the extras I could get the swap down to 1k or less.
Yes the Yen is higher now and RORO is about 1200 now but fluctuates depending time of year and demand, prices will probably drop with nothing moving right now,I am cheap I max my bids at 250 and eventually I luck out and get one that goes for max bid or less,I am patient and review auctions daily and agent always searches for me,I am not fussy a little rust or a dent is no issue to me it just adds to my project list luckily I enjoy working on them and this is not a profit thing for me I buy them drive and enjoy them then sell them off and bring in another.
The 44 in the avatar only cost me 4K all said and done but that was over 4yrs ago the ambi door 62 to date has just over 5k invested in it but has cost me about 5k in gas since I brought it in thats why I am thinking hard on the diesel swap.

I have considered on bringing in for part outs but the neighbours might get p_ssed with me I already have 5 in the driveway and a couple at my summer cottage they just shake their heads at me when I switch insurance on a different one every couple of months or another one shows up in the driveway the circus begins when I have to move 4 out of the driveway to get the 5th one out,but seriously I know parts are like gold around these parts if the price is right most guys are priced high but the market seems to accept it so kudos to them.

You are correct in all your points I have also added a warning on the last post because this is not an easy process you have to know all the in and outs and risks on buying overseas ,yes the costs are up from years past but in my case I am still seeing them under 300,ooo yen and I do my research most newbies will not be able to read the auction sheets which are in Japanese and know all the other costs.

There are not alot of hj61 on the market I see alot of hj60 now so it may be harder to snap up a good deal on a 61.

I do know which ones have been on the market for several months I follow the auctions daily and keep records also my agent does follow up reaearch for me when I confirm a bid ,and yes there will be alot of water logged vehicles hit the market as soon as things get sorted out in Japan so evryone BEWARE cause there are alot of companies that will do spruce ups then send to auction Remember you buy ASIs and there is no warranties or gaurantees on what you get.

I guess I take it for granted since I have experience at this and have done it for years and don't think of the reader who has not done this before thinking it is as simple as sending money and a LC shows up ready to drive THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

I know what I can do a swap for if I do a full cost break down and know others will not even come close to do what I think is doable for me.

Just curious how did you make out with the firetruck my son is traininag as a fireman and I keep teasing him that I will bring one in for him

Also I am hoping the yen will take a hit and be at parr with the CDN dollar then it becomes more reasonable for me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom