Diesel Swapping FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 3B being rebuilt as we speak, turbo in box ready to be installed and new H55 on pallet in shop waiting to be attached. Living at 7,000 feet does make the 3B a little less enthusiastic but turbo will solve that. I doubt I’d be very happy with a B up here in the mountains.

Cannot wait to put it in my BJ45 then keep old reliable 3b for parts,

if you go this route you may not need parts very often cause they are so reliable but when you do they can be little difficult to find and it’s only getting more difficult to find them

I would be looking at 13BT, 14BT or a 15BT.

Will fit good and are far superior engines to the really old archaic B/3B.

I would suggest a 1HDT/FT/FTE but they are a lot more expensive.

Cheers

I suggest driving a vehicle with a B engine before heading that direction. I personally could never deal with the lack of output. It's like a joke honestly. Really dangerously anemic.

Mike

If you want ease- do a Toyota diesel like B variants. If you want something a little easier to source p for and such, but have a harder time fitting it into the cruiser, a Cummins or later model Toyota diesel is a good move.

I’ve driven a lot of Toyota diesel 40s, and they are definitely a drag to drive on roads, but they are definitely cool and excellent on gas. Just don’t anticipate going anywhere quickly. They are just fine at anything under 45 mph. Above 45, the engine starts not accelerating as nicely and it feels like it strains the car to go any faster

most people are forgetting that Toyota diesels were sold in Canada, and this guy is Canadian. Parts are still difficult to find, but it’s still a lot easier than in the USA

Last edited:
I would be looking at 13BT, 14BT or a 15BT.

Will fit good and are far superior engines to the really old archaic B/3B.

I would suggest a 1HDT/FT/FTE but they are a lot more expensive.

Cheers
This!!!!
Also I did call a few places in Canada for some parts to rebuild and no luck. Even struck out with Engines Australia.

This!!!!
Also I did call a few places in Canada for some parts to rebuild and no luck. Even struck out with Engines Australia.
I was able to score a Toyota B rebuild kit from some company in Canada a few months ago

this comes in clutch

E2DF34D7-FF1F-4267-BB25-FEEB6C1FA980.jpeg

OM617 is still pretty cool!

actually drove this engine in the mercedes car and was amazing for a little diesel. great mileage and good power in a car that was 700 lbs heavier that my 40 so i decided to use it myself. this time i put a super pump on it and intercooler it with a holset hx30. should be pretty powerful. i also have a 1hdt in my 62 and love it. i’m pretty sure i’ve about broke even by now in about 7 years with the swap vs paying for gas. the driveability alone though is worth it. i haven t driven a vw diesel but hear they are awesome. the new cummins is really nice and being new it’ll be supported for a long time. it has lots of support and parts for the swap so it’s be easy to get the parts to do it but more money. diesel is super awesome though as far as i’m concerned

View attachment 2745321

OM617 is still pretty cool!

actually drove this engine in the mercedes car and was amazing for a little diesel. great mileage and good power in a car that was 700 lbs heavier that my 40 so i decided to use it myself. this time i put a super pump on it and intercooler it with a holset hx30. should be pretty powerful. i also have a 1hdt in my 62 and love it. i’m pretty sure i’ve about broke even by now in about 7 years with the swap vs paying for gas. the driveability alone though is worth it. i haven t driven a vw diesel but hear they are awesome. the new cummins is really nice and being new it’ll be supported for a long time. it has lots of support and parts for the swap so it’s be easy to get the parts to do it but more money. diesel is super awesome though as far as i’m concerned
Aren’t those the ones in the Bandis in Brazil

turbo a 3B from a rusted out bj60 and you’ll be smiling for years

the 3B comes alive with a turbo

take your time
find a good compression engine in a rotten body/frame
it’ll be fun, rewarding, low investment, high return, and you already have an eye for finding rusted out land cruisers...

Have to agree, I’ve owned 3 vehicles with 3Bs one of which had a turbo. @Onur and I had good drive bringing home from east coast, well Onur drove her from Atlanta to Tulsa where I joined the party!!

We made respectable time and speed on the interstate all the way back to Steamboat. Turbo definitely transforms the 3B.

The BJ45 cruises all day at 60 without any issue and gets low 20’s in mileage. After new engine, Turbo and H55 I’ll probably drive a whopping 65!!!

my td300 did 32mpg with 5 adults at 105 km/hr through the mountains. if i get mid to low 20s in my fj40 i’ll be stoked! ill be running 35s though. only troubles with this motor is you might need a good lift or spring over to clear the front oil sump.

here’s another photo from the shop
E0EFC291-85F2-4BE1-805B-B613BCB834A9.jpeg

Damn! I’m amazed at how many good things are being said about the 3b and h55 pairing. I think it’s in the realm of possibility. Great to know I can always add power with a turbo later on. I’d definitely consider adding one once I get the truck up and running. As far as it looks, the 3b is exactly the right fit. I like things somewhat period correct and the simplicity of the motor makes it easier to work on for my level of skill. A low to mid 20s would be really good mileage to get and a higher top speed is always nice. I’ve already put into motion arranging buying this donor bj60 I mentioned earlier. Looks like I might become a parting-out expert on the bj60 soon! I will post here with any updates. Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts!

turbo a 3B from a rusted out bj60 and you’ll be smiling for years

the 3B comes alive with a turbo

take your time
find a good compression engine in a rotten body/frame
it’ll be fun, rewarding, low investment, high return, and you already have an eye for finding rusted out land cruisers...
Good to know. I’ll make sure to run a compression test before buying. Thanks!

Whether the 3B will have enough power for you is pretty subjective. Personally, I have never driven an LC that was not powered by a 3B - 42, 60 and 70 series. I put over 300k on the 60, probably 200 on the 70, including cross-country trips in both. I used the 60 to tow a trailer from Halifax to Toronto and back. More power on the hills would have been nice, but it was not a deal-breaker for me.

Your plan sounds reasonable to me - try the 3B, and add the turbo later if you think you need it.

Bringing this up again since I’ve been figuring out what 3b to buy. I talked with a friend and he told me that adapting a bj60 3b to an fj40 chassis can be difficult. I would have to get motor mounts, driveshafts and a fan shroud to fit. The motor also has almost 300 000 kms on it.. I know it’s a Toyota but they still don’t last forever :(
This friend did suggest that he’s got a 3b and h55 pairing for sale though. The motor and transfer case have been rebuilt 5000kms ago before a customer decided they didn’t like it. Kit comes with motor mount arms (with frame mounts), driveshafts, radiator & stainless exhaust. He’s asking $6000 for the motor and another $1500 for a ct26 turbo setup that was on the engine when it was pulled. What do you guys think? Is this steep? I know these engines ain’t cheap and even the cost of rebuilding is very expensive. I like to think this is an okay deal but I just don’t have a clue if this is in the range of what this setup is worth.

79427477-FB3B-433F-BF33-AFAB8CD03A58.jpeg

D54F4DA8-C033-42DF-8F18-62905514696F.jpeg

FA796AA5-0449-49E0-AB13-A19554241B15.jpeg

A19575FB-B888-4B6E-9AE5-0278F8C51CBB.jpeg

E8DC0EC4-64BD-4F96-8FEF-C9C2000F366B.jpeg

I have a 3B being rebuilt as we speak, turbo in box ready to be installed and new H55 on pallet in shop waiting to be attached. Living at 7,000 feet does make the 3B a little less enthusiastic but turbo will solve that. I doubt I’d be very happy with a B up here in the mountains.

Cannot wait to put it in my BJ45 then keep old reliable 3b for parts,

if you go this route you may not need parts very often cause they are so reliable but when you do they can be little difficult to find and it’s only getting more difficult to find them
I have lived in Wyoming at 5-6K elevation most of my life and my 2F was great off road, but on I-80 with a head wind it was not very good and sometimes could get to the speed limit until a truck blocked the wind the it would speed up until the truck was no longer blocking the wind. But with a tail wind on the way to work at the Jim Bridger power plant it would do 80 but would have a puddle of oil under it after my shift. It had a bad rear main seal from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom