diesel swap

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by vt78cruiser, Jul 1, 2005.

1. vt78cruiser

vt78cruiser

Has anyone every tride to put a Cummings diesel/nv4500 combo out of a '96 Dodge 2500HD into their Cruiser? I have found a donor that could also provide axles as well. I was wonder if anyone has any tips on how to make this happen and pros and cons. I understand that it would be a pretty big undertaking, but I will have a lot of free time to work when I get back from Iraq this Dec. Thanks for the help guys.

2. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

It's possible; however, that is one HELL of a lot of weight in the front of a 40 or even a 55.

3. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    That sounds really cool, it would be a major transformation(tons of fab work to get everything to fit), but it would be so cool when all was said and done; go for it.

4. REZARF

REZARF

As the saying goes...

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, with enough time, money, or talent... choose two.

I have thought of the same swap you are contemplating, the mpg's and power would be sweet! But like you are realizing it is a huge swap.

It would almost be simpler to bolt the fj body on the dodge frame and running gear, take a chunk from the frame and shorten up the wheel base... it would be a wierd swap, but you might get the same result.

All my ideas sound better in my head than when I read them back to myself. Go for it, and let us know how it goes.

And vt87cruiser, if you are heading over to fight in Iraq let me extend a HUGE THANK YOU BRO! :) Be safe.

Rezarf <><

5. honk

honk

Media:
    About a year ago a couple of FJ40's showed up in ebay with the 5.9 Cummins. I don't know what trans they had or how it worked. As best I can remember both looked like POS patchup jobs that some junkyard owner thought he could sucker someone with.

It'd be a long heavy power package that would leave maybe 6" for a rear driveline behind the transfercase you don't mention.

I think it would suck. The Cummins 4 cyl. 3.9 would be a better fit and give a torque level that'd be controllable in an FJ40

6. ppillard

ppillard

Well, I've gotta 5.9/getrag/dana300 combo in my pig. The power is enormous, and I can put it in 4high and idle over anything. The torque is insane. It was a very tight squeeze, and the intercooler is not an option unless you are willing to extend your grill...

I have a link to my build up in my signature, if you're interested.

Well worth the time, good luck!

7. Toyo FJ40

Toyo FJ40

Media:
    Albums:
    Need at least a 4" lift to fit it over the axle and no room for an intercooler. The 4TB would fit better but I agree the 5.9 is a great engine (have a 96 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins)

http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/6btfj40/

Kevin

8. vt78cruiser

vt78cruiser

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I've been following the other post about the Cummins/drivetrain transplant very closely. Does anyone know the email address of the person who did the swap and took the pictures located at http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/6btfj40/ ? I'd love to talk to him to find out what all he had to do. Can anyone help me out as to what kind of axles are driving the 2500 series gm truck?

9. dubmatic

dubmatic

10. Tigerstripe40

Tigerstripe40

Media:
    Compared to a 2F, an ARBbullbar, and a warn 8274 winch, the Cummins 6BT is pretty close to the same weight.

11. F-junker

F-junker

yes, it's my understanding that my 2F weigh's in a close to 800 elbows with clutch package and bellhousing. I believe it after muscling it around with the tranny and xfer attached probably close to 1000.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.