diesel swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone every tride to put a Cummings diesel/nv4500 combo out of a '96 Dodge 2500HD into their Cruiser? I have found a donor that could also provide axles as well. I was wonder if anyone has any tips on how to make this happen and pros and cons. I understand that it would be a pretty big undertaking, but I will have a lot of free time to work when I get back from Iraq this Dec. Thanks for the help guys.

It's possible; however, that is one HELL of a lot of weight in the front of a 40 or even a 55.

That sounds really cool, it would be a major transformation(tons of fab work to get everything to fit), but it would be so cool when all was said and done; go for it.

As the saying goes...

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, with enough time, money, or talent... choose two.

I have thought of the same swap you are contemplating, the mpg's and power would be sweet! But like you are realizing it is a huge swap.

It would almost be simpler to bolt the fj body on the dodge frame and running gear, take a chunk from the frame and shorten up the wheel base... it would be a wierd swap, but you might get the same result.

All my ideas sound better in my head than when I read them back to myself. Go for it, and let us know how it goes.

And vt87cruiser, if you are heading over to fight in Iraq let me extend a HUGE THANK YOU BRO! :) Be safe.

Rezarf <><

vt78cruiser said:
Has anyone every tride to put a Cummings diesel/nv4500 combo out of a '96 Dodge 2500HD into their Cruiser? I have found a donor that could also provide axles as well. I was wonder if anyone has any tips on how to make this happen and pros and cons. I understand that it would be a pretty big undertaking, but I will have a lot of free time to work when I get back from Iraq this Dec. Thanks for the help guys.

About a year ago a couple of FJ40's showed up in ebay with the 5.9 Cummins. I don't know what trans they had or how it worked. As best I can remember both looked like POS patchup jobs that some junkyard owner thought he could sucker someone with.

It'd be a long heavy power package that would leave maybe 6" for a rear driveline behind the transfercase you don't mention.

I think it would suck. The Cummins 4 cyl. 3.9 would be a better fit and give a torque level that'd be controllable in an FJ40

Well, I've gotta 5.9/getrag/dana300 combo in my pig. The power is enormous, and I can put it in 4high and idle over anything. The torque is insane. It was a very tight squeeze, and the intercooler is not an option unless you are willing to extend your grill...

I have a link to my build up in my signature, if you're interested.

Well worth the time, good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I've been following the other post about the Cummins/drivetrain transplant very closely. Does anyone know the email address of the person who did the swap and took the pictures located at http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/6btfj40/ ? I'd love to talk to him to find out what all he had to do. Can anyone help me out as to what kind of axles are driving the 2500 series gm truck?

dieseldog said:
It's possible; however, that is one HELL of a lot of weight in the front of a 40 or even a 55.

Compared to a 2F, an ARBbullbar, and a warn 8274 winch, the Cummins 6BT is pretty close to the same weight.

yes, it's my understanding that my 2F weigh's in a close to 800 elbows with clutch package and bellhousing. I believe it after muscling it around with the tranny and xfer attached probably close to 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom