diesel swap options that are in production (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

, I would prefer the 4bd2t, but have read issues about cracking heads.
I have ran them for quite a few years. One I run the hell out of, no issues, no cracks. They have been trouble free engines. The MPG's aren't all that great.
I will say I found since buying a 7500 lb DI Cummins truck that it gets the same MPG's as the Isuzu's and almost as good as 2H and 3B Landcruisers I've had with LOTS more power.

It typically fills the intake with crud, just like on a petrol, but often worse when it mixes with a bit of oily blow-by. I would say that unless you absolutely need to have it to pass emissions testing, lose it. You'll get improvements in power and fuel economy. Or, install a non-emissions diesel engine like most Toyota mechanical diesels are.

Thanks for the info. Is the 1hz a non-emissions diesel?

FLcruiser, thanks for sharing your experiences with the Isuzu. Next time you're in the Gainesville-Ocala area, I'd love to check out your setup. Thanks, Taro

It seems like you can buy Cummins parts at Walmart, Sunday morning at 2am.........Toyota stuff, not so much. :)

I like the charm of the Japanese diesels as much as the next guy (I have one afterall) but parts support is a real drag.

Just one extra bit of info..

the 1KZ and its cousin the 1HZ don't have a traditional timing belt setup with everything driven by the belt. The injection, PS, and vacuum pumps are driven by gears off of the crank, then the timing belt runs from the injection pump gear to the camshaft and only runs the cam. MUCH less stress on this timing belt than many other vehicles.. in large part because it isn't running the injection pump.

The timing belts on 1HZ are near fool proof. I have never heard of one failing as long as its been maintained , and even then, they will go a long way past a 100000klms.

Thanks for the continued education! It's reassuring to hear about the timing belt.

But the best thing about the 1HZ ,is the ease of maintenance. The hardest thing to work on the outside of the engine is probably the alternator bolts if the aircon compressor is in place. Otherwise it appears it was made to be fixed under a tree.

Sounds good. I like the 3rd world nature of the 1hz.

Sounds good. I like the 3rd world nature of the 1hz.

I know I've already discussed this.. but if you're looking for 3rd world stuff.. its the 2H.. inline pump, no belt, no chain.. well maintained and fed with well filtered diesel and air and given regular oil changes they are utterly dependable for 1million+ kilometres.

I know I've already discussed this.. but if you're looking for 3rd world stuff.. its the 2H.. inline pump, no belt, no chain.. well maintained and fed with well filtered diesel and air and given regular oil changes they are utterly dependable for 1million+ kilometres.

While I agree with you in terms of simplicity, I do think the following:

1. 2H is like the 2F of the diesel world. Been around for ages, simple to work on and dependable.

Problem is: You need parts for it in Zimbabwe you are not getting them. Possibly for months. Unless you have stupid amount of money.

2. 1HZ has now been the longest running manufactured Toyota diesel world wide.

Every bush mechanic knows a 1HZ; As do NGO personnel, MSF, UN folks etc.

3. The belt is not a design flaw. It is a built in fuse.

I tell every one shoe gets a 1HZ, first thing to do is change the belt.

Proceed from there. If the belt is new there is pretty much nothing that can stop an NA 1HZ.

3. The belt is not a design flaw. It is a built in fuse.

You've made some good points.. thanks!

Not sure about the fuse analogy though :)

Here's another option that may scare some of you. BMW M57 diesel. This is the 3 litre 6 cylinder commonrail. ~140kw and 400Nm up to around 180kw in other stock tunes or 220kW with factory compound turbos.

I appreciate the continued discussion about the pros and cons between the 2h and the 1hz. The parts supply is the main reason I wanted to look at engines that are still in production.

As for the BMW, you're right :) Any modern BMW scares me in terms of reliability--cars or motorcycles. Also I associate commonrail with electronics, leaky high pressure injectors (maybe a generalization based on reading about Fords?), and overall complication. One of the things that I love about my 40 is its simplicity. No power steering, no power brakes (at least right now), and it's tendency to keep running even if its not in top shape. The things that have stranded me are the electronics--alt belt snapping, alternator failing, hall sensor giving up in the distributor. I'm hoping by eliminating the need to require electricity to keep the engine running (after it's started of course) will simplify things even more :) Thanks, Taro

I just finished my om617 swap in my 84 Bj 42 . To me it is the perfect match . It is like driving a little freight train or something . Really a blast ! I can get any part ,any time, any where in the world thanks to Mercedes parts program .or I can just go to the junk yard I was at pick and pull and they had three wrecks with good motors. The entire donor car I bought was 800$ and it already has a nice little factory turbo. Just my opinion .

image.jpeg

Wow, that is a beautiful install. Their parts program is pretty cool. Ideally, I'd like to stay near the power levels of the 2f, but if I can get a donor car for $800, that'd be sweet!

Okay, so step one is getting an engine stand and hoist. I'm more of a harbor freight or just above hf kind of guy, unless the cheapness poses a safety concern. So that being said, any recommendations? Thanks, Taro

Okay, so step one is getting an engine stand and hoist. I'm more of a harbor freight or just above hf kind of guy, unless the cheapness poses a safety concern. So that being said, any recommendations? Thanks, Taro

I wouldn't let a HF engine stand or lift in the shop.

We did once. It failed at less than half it's rated load and left us with a huge mess. Then we bought an Omega Engine Hoist--works great. We also bought an Omega floor jack--works great, and is rebuildable. We also bought an Omega Geared Head Rotating Engine stand--it's awesome. If you want to rotate an engine (especially a big, heavy Toyota or diesel) the geared head is a lifesaver.

I can't say enough good about the Omega stuff, and it's not terribly expensive either.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom