diesel swap exhaust question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've got an 88 FJ62 that I'm planning to swap out the original 3FE for a 1HDT next spring after some major home improvement projects are behind me.

my wife asked a question: will the diesel swap make the truck smelly. (fair question)

my guess is yes? these are not catalyzed modern clean diesels yes/no?
what becomes of the cat converters that are in the exhaust path on the current stock exhaust?
do we leave them?
do they do anything?
entirely new exhaust without cats?

untreated diesel exhaust does have a pretty pungent note that gives me a headache if i'm following a big truck on the highway.

do our cruisers with a diesel engine smell like you're following a dump truck?

I'd do a full 3" from the turbo back and scrap the gas engine exhaust altogether. They can be a bit stinky at idle for sure, you don't notice it when the truck is moving though. I fill my new diesel filters with seafoam which seems to help with the smoke issue a bit.

You don't want the gasoline cats in the exhaust for a diesel - the soot will just clog them up. You're going to notice the smell at times but it isn't likely to be as heavy as following a loaded dump truck.

I just got my diesel and it was pretty smelly, turns out I had a small exhaust leak that was trying to slowly kill me. Picked up a couple Vibrant mufflers and getting a custom 3 inch exhaust now, will report back

I just got my diesel and it was pretty smelly, turns out I had a small exhaust leak that was trying to slowly kill me. Picked up a couple Vibrant mufflers and getting a custom 3 inch exhaust now, will report back
yeah - post some pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom