diesel sucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just payed $116.9L at the mowhawk in poco. Man Am i pissed. Plus its the ONLY gas station in poco with diesel

Yes, it sucks that it is supposed to be cheaper to make then gasoline. It sucks that every winter they up the price saying home heating fuel demands up the price. It sucks that some people actually believe low sulpher fuel is the reason it is more expensive. It sucks that diesel is more expensive then gasoline, when in Europe, where fuel taxes and costs are high, diesel is cheaper then gasoline, and they have been running cleaner diesel for years.

I think because the economy is good, and people will not bitch too much about increased prices of goods (remember, everything is shipped via tractor trailer, boat and train...all which use diesel)...the supply companies are picking on diesel instead of gasoline. The vast majority of people run gassers, and I think it has something to do with that too.

No matter the true reason, it would be very interesting to be a fly on the wall when choices are made at the upper levels about which fuel to have at a higher price point.

Console yourself that by running a diesel you are not bound to buying fluids from the pump, as you are with gasoline.

Console yourself with the fact that your diesel is also in the neighbourhood of 10% more effiecent then a gasser, liter for liter of fuel and energy output compared.

Console yourself also that inflation adjusted, fuel is still cheaper now over then. There was comment on this in the chat section, but I am too lazy to find the figures.

Console yourself with the thought if you had a 2F in that 60 you would be getting around 12mpg instead of the 20mpg...or better...you are getting.

Console yourself with the idea that all you need is air and fuel. Pretty simple to figure out, as opposed to a gasser engine.

Was there not talk at one point of doing a club visit with Deny's dad at some point to watch the brew process?

How much is vegetable oil right now per liter in bulk?

gb

Last edited:
gas 92.4
bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
ha
ha!

My theory is that the price of diesel is not prominently posted, as is gas. Consumers feel relieved when they read the price of gas is below 1.00L. It's seldom you see a price sign for diesel posted at your local station. So, with most consumers using gas vs diesel, there is no pressure on the system to find out what is going on. No noise from consumers = happy government. Happy governments don't ask questions of the oil companies = lots of profits for the oil barons.

I'm not convinced about the heating oil price issue. Heating oil prices are always speculated by the forecast for a cold / warm winter. By most accounts, this winter should be mild. However, short supply might be a problem in the U.S. because of the damage to refineries. Canada should have no shortage.

My friend is a truck driver who owns his own truck. I talked to him this morning about the price of diesel. He is paying about .90L (give or take). It's not a big issue for him because the company charges fuel surcharges so it's not the company or him paying for the increase but you and I when we buy our goods. He says the fuel surcharge is something like 26 or 27% right now. A huge blow to anyone moving freight.

As has been mentioned before, diesel costs significantly less than gas to refine. So. . . what is going on?

I remember living on our farm and all machinery and some of our vehicles were run on diesel.... very inexpensive back in those days, which really was not to far back. We used to have a huge barrel with a pump in the back 40...

So exactly - what is going on? Our mighty higher ups have decided to get more money out of us working stiff, and it seems that because diesel was so cheap it left plenty of room to jack the prices sky high.

My brother is here from Germany and he says that the prices that we pay are nothing compared to Europe. The prices there can be as high as $2.00L or more.

Have we as Canadians been spoiled? mmmmm????

A couple of reasons why I am for the diesel engine are; cleaner burning fuel, and the longevity of the engines. Since owning my Landcruiser I have always paid the higher prices.
Now if Bio Diesel was not so time consuming to produce, I would certainly consider the switch over.

I'm glad I'm down here in Central America instead of home in B.C. Here we pay about $2.80/US gallon for diesel but gas is pushing $4/US gallon!! That's the sort of spread everywhere in the world EXCEPT Canada/USA where it's all backwards.

cruiser_guy said:
I'm glad I'm down here in Central America instead of home in B.C. Here we pay about $2.80/US gallon for diesel but gas is pushing $4/US gallon!! That's the sort of spread everywhere in the world EXCEPT Canada/USA where it's all backwards.

So why in your opinion this difference with the North American pricing Charles?

Right now gasoline is in the mid 80's per liter, and diesel is still over $1.00 a liter. Of course home heating fuel demand is the buzzword and will continue to be till the spring to keep the price inflated.

gb

Greg_B said:
So why in your opinion this difference with the North American pricing Charles?

Right now gasoline is in the mid 80's per liter, and diesel is still over $1.00 a liter. Of course home heating fuel demand is the buzzword and will continue to be till the spring to keep the price inflated.

gb

Unfair taxation on diesel (it makes black smoke so it must pollute more right? Not!)! The price difference between the US and Canada is possibly Kyoto taxes though that's not a politically correct thought!

My prediction is that Canadian fuel prices will continue to increase and will increase at a faster rate than those in the states because of Kyoto (it is impossible for Canada to meet the demands of Kyoto without some serious work and sacrifice due to our size and transportation needs).

btw If folks think we pollute they need to take a look at the third world, then you'll see pollution!! Here in Guatemala sometimes I literally can't see the truck/bus in front of me because of the exhaust!

ya its definately frustrating. It has always been cheaper. so it makes us upset that we are almost on par with running a gasser.

I think it could be two things, either they are doing this to make no advantage to owing a diesel....EPA/oil companies/auto makers............someone is

other, in 2006 ultra low sulfer diesel is going to madatory, the infastucture for this is being paid in advance, or they are getting us used to the higher cost now, before they go really high.

I say @&@&@&@&em, we need to get either our own Bio made, or start running veg.

Luckily I have a source of a few gallons here and there off of a plane, so I am not concerned at the moment. Generally I have to do sump drains every so offten, its wasted fuel othewise.........ya.

I duuno if I buy the 2006 regs. In europe havn't they had cleaner diesel for years, and it still is cheaper then gasoline. Many options for B5 through 20 at the pump too I thought, but do not know for sure...

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom