Diesel Priming Pump for 2H - OEM or ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the priming pump on my 84 HJ47 Troopy. The last time (about a year ago) I replaced the fuel filter and 'barely' got it primed - diesel was slowly dripping from the primer as I pumped, but if I pumped it fast, I could get it primed.

This past weekend I replaced the filter again, and when I went to prime, diesel was pouring out of the priming pump and I couldn't get it primed.....So, it's definitely long overdue to replace.

My question - Would you replace the priming pump with OEM ($60USD) or with the Bosch unit ($15USD)? And, why?

I realize OEM is 4 times the cost, but is higher cost the only reason for using the Bosch? BTW, my HJ47 has 497K km's on the clock, and the odometer has been stuck for who knows how many years....It's likely the OEM pump has over 600K km's on it. Do you think the Bosch could last 600K km's?

:cheers:

I realize OEM is 4 times the cost, but is higher cost the only reason for using the Bosch? BTW, my HJ47 has 497K km's on the clock, and the odometer has been stuck for who knows how many years....It's likely the OEM pump has over 600K km's on it. Do you think the Bosch could last 600K km's?

Do you need a $15 part that's easy to replace to last 600km? Save your money and get the Bosch, it works just fine even if it doesn't last that long. Just my 2 cents.

Buy the Bosch pump or even better, buy two.

I have a couple in use on my trucks and they work great. I've got over a 100 thousand klicks on one, no leaks, works great. The other I have 20 thousand on and same experience.

Who cares if it goes 500K, it's cheap and easy to swap, easy to store....

I expect my Bosch replacement to last at least as long as my Toyota/Denso original (which lasted approx 200,000kms/25 years).

And as well as matching or exceeding OEM reliability (IMO), it is also smaller, simpler, easier to use (because you don't need to unscrew the top first) and easier to fit (because of the smaller spanner-size required).

So price certainly isn't the only advantage of the Bosch unit in my opinion.

If you fill the new filter with fuel before replacing you should not have to prime I have done it this way for years with evry diesel I have owned the little bit of air passes through the system quickly with no issues.
As far as your question on the primer I have no preference what ever works and with that mileage I would go with the cheaper option if it was a newly reubuilt I would go with OEM all the way.

I need to replace the priming pump on my 84 HJ47 Troopy.

My question - Would you replace the priming pump with OEM ($60USD) or with the Bosch unit ($15USD)? And, why?

Hey 1tontoy...

Do you have a part number...

This is my first HJ47 and I I broke the primer so now I have fuel pumping out lid of the filters...

I am in the US and Autozone/Pepboys have no clue ...Without a part number...

Pumkin:

primer.jpg

This is the Bosch replacement of your OE primer pump.

They should be able to track it down by that label on the box, I'd think. Any diesel shop likely has a couple of them in stock.

Dan
primer.jpg

i think mercedes dealership sell them for under 10$

whatever you do dont get the ones from 4wheelauto, they have a really bad batch, 2 have failed on me already; but they were exchanged for free.

.... a really bad batch, 2 have failed on me already; but they were exchanged for free.

Bosch or a Bosch-lookalike?

Someone should cut one of these open and show us what the design flaw is!

:beer:

Bosch or a Bosch-lookalike?

Someone should cut one of these open and show us what the design flaw is!

:beer:

its a denso pump

good idea, i still have the last one, though this one the pump itself failed(couldnt even release it), the one before leaked really bad from the start( i returned this one), and the one i put one 2 months ago is leaking mildly already.

Get the Bosch pump that Dan pictured. It's very nice quality and much less than OEM. It seems that most people go this route. I ended going with the Bosch. I searched the web for Bosch Primer Pump to find the cheapest price.

Congrats on the HJ47 Troopy! :cheers:

Hey 1tontoy...

Do you have a part number...

This is my first HJ47 and I I broke the primer so now I have fuel pumping out lid of the filters...

I am in the US and Autozone/Pepboys have no clue ...Without a part number...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom