Diesel options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, I know, there are a lot of threads about diesel conversions and I've been reading up on the subject. What I'm finding as I research the motor options is the choice isn't quite as clear-cut as I'd thought. For example, the 4BTA would be a significant upgrade in torque, but a downgrade in horsepower. What I also didn't realize is that it weighs 800 lbs dry, compared to the 2UZ-FE's ~600 lbs. That's not too far off, but if I wanted more HP and torque, I thought the next place I'd look would be the 6BT.. until I realized the motor weighs 1100 lbs dry.

For something like a 60 series, the choice is pretty clear (I now have a daydream about getting a 62 and putting in a 4BT), but it seems Toyota did a good job matching engine to vehicle when they chose the 2UZ-FE for the 100 series.

So, in the unlikely event that my 2UZ dies before I do an electric conversion (probably 5-10 years out), what diesel motors would be good substitutes for it? (Considering this through the lens of what is available in the US...)

Last edited:
Get whatever Benz motor they put in the G Wagons. This dude did something like 600,000km in one. Gunther, Christine and Otto
<sarcasm>
Because it's not like the original 2UZ-FE could go a million miles or anything like that:

(and that is the "inferior" US made 2UZ-FE)
</sarcasm>

:)

If I was going to spend the money on a diesel conversion, even though they're hard to come by here in the states, a 1HD-FTE would seem like the way to go, but it's probably not cost effective in the US.

Last edited:
What I also didn't realize is that it weighs 800 lbs dry, compared to the 2UZ-FE's ~600 lbs. That's not too far off, but if I wanted more HP and torque, I thought the next place I'd look would be the 6BT.. until I realized the motor weighs 1100 lbs dry.

Diesels are heavy. HDJ100 vs UZJ100 the difference is about 400kg (~880lb), most of which around the engine.

Wouldn't it just make the most sense to pay the cash to get someone to import a LHD diesel 80 out of South America or Europe? There are some decent examples that are now older than 25 years.

Get whatever Benz motor they put in the G Wagons. This dude did something like 600,000km in one. Gunther, Christine and Otto
In a video in the article you linked to the odometer is showing 870,000 km. Not too shabby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom