Diesel inspection for private sale? (Vancouver) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE! Diesel inspection for private sale? (Vancouver)

Guys, you were super helpful when I was looking at LJ78s before I found out about the self-destructing heads, so I'll give it a shot :D .
I'm close to buying a Mitsu Pajero privately which is already registered in BC with a BC VIN etc. Is there anyone in the Vancouver area that can give me some peace of mind regarding the engine? I know nothing at all about diesels, so I'm useless in this regard. I was going to go to ATEB in Burnaby, but they wanted $250 for the inspection and I'm not sure what it entails exactly, or what's a must-do for an inspection. The Mitsu has the 2.5 Intercooled TD in it, and runs like a top at 180,000 km. I know it's a lot of clicks for a JDM, but it's been here for a year or so, and it's a smokin' deal from the right kind of seller: the kind looking to make room in his garage and not make a pile of $$ on his sale.:grinpimp:
TDI-Pajero.jpg

Thanks,
Duncan

p.s. Can I bring it out to a Cruiser Day to meet some of you guys even if it's got the wrong brand on the fender? :D

Last edited:
I have used Ateb extensively, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They do not do halfway jobs; all their work is top quality. If as you say you know nothing about diesels and in particular the truck you have chosen, from my experience, $250 is dirt cheap to have true experts go over your truck from one end to the other and give you an opinion as to what $urpri$es you may be in for. Because they can add up, in a hurry, to the extent that $250 will seem very, very cheap. So I would strongly recommend you go ahead and do it.

the drivetrain in a pajero is very close to the one in a Delica. the engine is a good one but still install a pyro to keep an eye on the temps.
the Delicas i have sold have been quite nice to drive.
that is a good looking rig, congrates...
BTW, the oil filter for that engine shoudl be Fram PH6355. you will pay about $30 vs $60 for factory. the only down side of the Mitsubishi products is the lack of dealer support for the parts. the guys in town here quoted me $100 for a oil filter and then laughed when they didn't have one in stock.
the fule filter, although it looks like a Toyota unit are not the same, the bottom is exactly the same, the shape is almost the same but the threaded part at the top is 1mm to small. those you will need to get from Japan...

HTHs
cheers

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks guys. Cross your fingers for me that there's nothing major wrong! I have about $1500 left for repairs over my offer on the vehicle. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks,
Duncan

Fingers crosses, nice looking truck.

Thanks for the kind wishes:D . Obviously ATEB is the right guy to take it to, because he's booked well into next week! Durnit, I was hoping to have an extra cargo vehicle for the Mother-in-law's move this weekend. Our poor little Subaru Legacy wagon is gonna take a beating. LOL. I look forward to meeting some of you guys, even if I don't belong in your club :cheers:.

Just from your post, you might think Ateb is a one man operation (don't know if you've been there) but it's much bigger. They have 4-5 employees at a minimum and a shop big enough to hold 6 or more vehicles at a time.

Thanks for the info guys. I went to their website, and see that they are indeed bigger than I expected. I guess I'll find exactly how big when I go for the report on the Pajero tomorrow night. Fingers crossed!;)

Damn, looks like the seller is gonna have to come down quite a bit if he ever wants to sell this vehicle. It needs almost 100% of the wearing suspension and brake parts replaced. The only parts that are servicable are the control arms, front rotors and rear calipers. Shocks, TR ends, brake pads, front calipers, balljoints, steering linkage are all pooched. Ken at ATEB figures it's all original parts under there!:eek: On top of that it needs a timing belt/water pump/idler assembly and 4 new tires (Japanese non-DOTs on there now). Total estimate approximately $4000. Considering the seller's asking price is $7000, either the seller or the buyer is gonna get hosed one way or another. It's a nice unit, but I could do a lot better with a lot less mileage for $10K. LOL, the one area I was worried about was one of the better mechanical parts of the vehicle: the engine itself!:rolleyes:
I'll keep you posted, and thanks for sending me to ATEB.:cheers:

the drivetrain in a pajero is very close to the one in a Delica. the engine is a good one but still install a pyro to keep an eye on the temps.
the Delicas i have sold have been quite nice to drive.
that is a good looking rig, congrates...
BTW, the oil filter for that engine shoudl be Fram PH6355. you will pay about $30 vs $60 for factory. the only down side of the Mitsubishi products is the lack of dealer support for the parts. the guys in town here quoted me $100 for a oil filter and then laughed when they didn't have one in stock.
the fule filter, although it looks like a Toyota unit are not the same, the bottom is exactly the same, the shape is almost the same but the threaded part at the top is 1mm to small. those you will need to get from Japan...

HTHs
cheers

i dont know for sure but if you were to look for parts for those in europe instead of going strait to japan it might be quicker, cheaper and easier cause iv seen alot of those around (im in finland)

:censor: it! I've got a B.C. importer watching the auctions for me. I'll bring in exactly what I want, ( newest one I can get, second gen), and I should be able to do it for just over half what the dealers are charging for landed stock of the same quality. :D About $8K in the driveway for a full load Grade 4 model with under a 100k on the clock.
Wish me luck, and I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your help.
Duncan

what is the warranty that he is offering or is he just finding the rig for you and having it shipped over? if it is the later then go to my link below and get one from Rizubi, he will get it deleivered right to Vancouver for you...
if he is offering a warranty for $8000 then i seriously hope nothing goes wrong with it or one of you will be left holding the bag...
cheers and good luck

Hmmm.. the guys at Terra2 are not offering any warranty, but they do have a guy on the floor at the biggest auctions, double-checking auction sheet vs. actual condition, and sending over some pics ASAP of inside and out before your bid is placed. Obviously it's a money-maker for them, but they appear to provide a genuine service with their guy over there starting your prospective vehicle, and making sure it's a genuine 3.5 or 4. There's no way I'd be comfortable bidding on a vehicle based on those crappy little auction photos. LOL. I haven't made any deposit commitments yet, so I'm still open to using the best method.
Thanks Wayne,
Duncan

just contact Rizubi and you will get the same service with out the extra fee that these guys are charging...
or get a written guarrantee that the unit will meet the description given on the interior, body and drivetrain...
it is your money...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom