Diesel glow plug question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1983 RHD BJ42 from Australia. I've had it about 14 years, and every few years when it becomes difficult to start when it's getting down into the 30 degree range, the rest of the time no problem. I pull the blow plug and usually 3 out of four have the tips burned off and the wire glow element is showing. In warmer weather I guess the one working glow plug is enough to get it started and the other cylinders kick in when the engine is starting. I was told by one of the techs at Specter Off Road when I was buying a new set of glow plugs, and he saw that I'd bought a set before, that this isn't normal. If that's true, what is causing it, and most importantly, what can I do to fix the issue?

IMG_2494.jpeg

Your glow timer (if equipped) is running too long or you are manually glowing too long. If you have a glow timer, match the plugs' resistance and voltage to cold weather setup, not your OE setup intended for warm weather countries (ie try finding a spec for cold weather climates).

If manual glow and in very cold weather, give it an initial glow, let it cool a little and then glow again before starting.

Your glow timer (if equipped) is running too long or you are manually glowing too long. If you have a glow timer, match the plugs' resistance and voltage to cold weather setup, not your OE setup intended for warm weather countries (ie try finding a spec for cold weather climates).

If manual glow and in very cold weather, give it an initial glow, let it cool a little and then glow again before starting.
I believe it has a glow timer. When I turn the key a light for the glow plug goes on, then goes out quickly, like 3-4 seconds. IDK if that is the brief time the plug is actually heating up. Often times in cold temps I turn the key on and off a few times before it will start, meaning it needs more heat.

Your second point, matching the plugs resistance to the voltage to cold weather start up makes sense, but I have no idea how I'd do that. Maybe a Youtube video about it.

Thanks for your response.

Rye

I believe it has a glow timer. When I turn the key a light for the glow plug goes on, then goes out quickly, like 3-4 seconds. IDK if that is the brief time the plug is actually heating up. Often times in cold temps I turn the key on and off a few times before it will start, meaning it needs more heat.

Your second point, matching the plugs resistance to the voltage to cold weather start up makes sense, but I have no idea how I'd do that. Maybe a Youtube video about it.

Thanks for your response.

Rye
You're welcome Rye. My experience is on the 6 cylinder H and 2H diesels with manual glow, so I am guessing to a degree. 3-4 seconds seems awfully short, so the resistance should be very high in the plugs.

You can manually test a new one to see how long it takes to glow red (ground the body of the plug and a wire to positive, then count the seconds).

Being electronic controlled, you likely have afterglow function also, which may be where the issue lies.

As for the right glow plugs. Usually the higher the voltage rating the slower it is to heat up. As such, if the current ones are 9V, try an 11V set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom