Diesel gas argument (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why hasn’t this compilation of opinions been banished to chat?????? :flipoff2:

:lol:
My pipe dream is actually an SRT 6.1 and a NAG1 trans. The 6.1 Mopar is a mix of old and new. Two valve Hemi pushrod motor that makes an easy 425 horses. I have had one in a Challenger for 9 completely trouble free years. The exhaust note is intoxicating.

My 6.1 Hemi has a Denso alternator, starter and A/C compressor. :)

So would the argument change if we included the GEN II 1FZFE?

The 5.3L LS that is commonly swapped is 270hp and 315ft/lbs, the 2nd Gen 1FZFE is 240hp and 300ft/lbs. Yes I know there are 6.2 even a 7.0L but for low cost the 5.3L is king.

Looking like the best motor trans set up for a 80 series has gone all american :wtf:
Diesel 6bt NV5600
Gas LS3 6L80

Diesel could face increased price pressure once the new rules for container ships kick in next year. It'll be interesting to see if the 25% price premium holds or increases.

Shipping Industry Stares Down New Fuel Restrictions
Should decrease as supply of automobile diesel would increase. Refinery production is pretty fixed given that no new refineries have been built in quite a while. And rember diesel doesn't take as much refining as gasoline...in the PNW diesel is less than premium right now.

Gteat thread BTW

What gen of the 5.3 makes 270hp?
What's the cost of rebuilding a 1FZ?
Quite a few of the older 5.3 motors make less than 300hp with the factory gm ecu flash. A typical reflash from a company that does decent LS reflashes will bring that to over 300hp and can get better MPG at the same time over the stock ecu program. Since a reflash has to be done to eliminate vats, it makes sense to get a good tune flashed into the ecu at the same time.
Looking like the best motor trans set up for a 80 series has gone all american :wtf:
Diesel 6bt NV5600
Gas LS3 6L80
For the diesel guys marks 4wd sells 3.54 differential gears if I recall. Would help get the cruising rpms of a diesel really low. It will be interesting what happens with diesel technology in the next few years, it could really explode. Supposedly some scientists in Japan or China have developed a new diesel catalytic converter that makes diesels extremely clean running out the tail pipe.

Ask some of the guys running Cummins in front of them. Doubt they’re 400hp, but they sure outlast a 700r4 or 4l60 in front of them.

And no, I haven’t. Usually they get a new motor or a rebuild before then.

Not a 400HP Cummins, but HP doesn't kill transmissions torque does. 600+lb/ft at 1500rpm is something that no gas engine will dish out ever. I agree the A4XX is on par with a 700R4 strength when in stock form. With the huge aftermarket the 700r4 can be built to be stronger and better performance wise, but may lack in longevity vs an A4XX 'bus tranny'. I did my swap 10 years ago and I would never build a 700R4 again for my application! :bang:

With that said, my setup doesn't need 3.54 diff gears or to keep it below 65mph...I get 17-20mpg highway cruising 75mph or so. Anyone on 42" tires doing that??

Has anyone done a 6bt swap with 80 transmission?

I believe there are a few people out there making it work without upgrades.

"If Jesus owned a diesel it would be the 7.3" ;)
My 97' F350 4x4 with 158K on the ticker gets a solid 21mpg on HWY but it has 3.55 gears which keeps the rpm at around 1700-1800 at freeway speeds...

Ok, back to your regular program, I would luv to have a toyota diesel with a 5speed in my LX-450 which to me would by the ultimate expedition rig....... but it would just be to much money and my gasser does everything I throw at it, yes a bit slow but its been super reliable and Im hoping for 300K miles till a rebuild....

Tech photo ;)

View attachment 1926663

Man, I had so many fits with 7.3L in my Excursion with 96K on it(and the ford it was in) I got stranded MANY times before I sold it. Once on New Years Day in Steamboat, CO -20F. wiring harness that goes into valve cover and falls apart. The tow bill to try and get that home was insane, finally got my father in law to tow it home.
Another time was transmission crapped out in California, although to it's credit we did limp it home...quit moving in front of our house. $5K later for a BTS transmission. (not the 7.3L fault)
Stranded for weather...
If it was 34 degrees or colder, it wouldn't start unless it was plugged in for hours. Ridiculous. New glow plugs didn't fix it.
Ate alternators like M&Ms. Learned my lesson after 2 sets of batteries and bought lifetime warranty alternators from auto parts store so I could replace it no questions asked anywhere in the US. Not to mention carrying a spare alternator and tools to change it. It was about a 5 min process IF you caught it before it killed your batteries.
Water separator always had issues, even with Viton seals.
already stated MPG, best ever 17, normal 14~15
Everything was just way more expensive on it.
Until I chipped it at the end, I wasn't overly impressed with the power. It was OK, but after the chip much much better. Sold it really soon after that as I couldn't trust it.
About the only issue I didn't have was the CPS...go figure.

I specifically went for a 7.3 with all the good tales of super reliable, great mpg and etc. Maybe we got a lemon, I don't know but it soured me completely after MANY trouble free Land Cruiser years.

I have a whole other host of complaints on the Excursion in general. It was a bad move to go from a 100 series to that POS.

The 1FZ's have always been reliable to me with no major issues. They are slow and thirsty, and living at altitude in the mountains is a bit brutal, even when I had 4.88's.
I would have no issues with a decent LS swap in an 80. If I had to rebuild my 1FZ, I would definitely look at the LS swap.
If money were no issue...diesel :)

:lol:
My pipe dream is actually an SRT 6.1 and a NAG1 trans. The 6.1 Mopar is a mix of old and new. Two valve Hemi pushrod motor that makes an easy 425 horses. I have had one in a Challenger for 9 completely trouble free years. The exhaust note is intoxicating.

I have a forged 6.1 with a YSi force feeding it in my Charger SRT8, love it but I don't think I'd bother with swapping one into an 80 series (especially since they don't make them anymore). If the 1HDT in my HDJ81 ever dies I'll throw another Diesel into it, I'll keep the LS swaps for mini trucks and my girlfriend's 03 Taco.

Man, I had so many fits with 7.3L in my Excursion with 96K on it(and the ford it was in) I got stranded MANY times before I sold it. Once on New Years Day in Steamboat, CO -20F. wiring harness that goes into valve cover and falls apart. The tow bill to try and get that home was insane, finally got my father in law to tow it home.
Another time was transmission crapped out in California, although to it's credit we did limp it home...quit moving in front of our house. $5K later for a BTS transmission. (not the 7.3L fault)
Stranded for weather...
If it was 34 degrees or colder, it wouldn't start unless it was plugged in for hours. Ridiculous. New glow plugs didn't fix it.
Ate alternators like M&Ms. Learned my lesson after 2 sets of batteries and bought lifetime warranty alternators from auto parts store so I could replace it no questions asked anywhere in the US. Not to mention carrying a spare alternator and tools to change it. It was about a 5 min process IF you caught it before it killed your batteries.
Water separator always had issues, even with Viton seals.
already stated MPG, best ever 17, normal 14~15
Everything was just way more expensive on it.
Until I chipped it at the end, I wasn't overly impressed with the power. It was OK, but after the chip much much better. Sold it really soon after that as I couldn't trust it.
About the only issue I didn't have was the CPS...go figure.

I specifically went for a 7.3 with all the good tales of super reliable, great mpg and etc. Maybe we got a lemon, I don't know but it soured me completely after MANY trouble free Land Cruiser years.

I have a whole other host of complaints on the Excursion in general. It was a bad move to go from a 100 series to that POS.

The 1FZ's have always been reliable to me with no major issues. They are slow and thirsty, and living at altitude in the mountains is a bit brutal, even when I had 4.88's.
I would have no issues with a decent LS swap in an 80. If I had to rebuild my 1FZ, I would definitely look at the LS swap.
If money were no issue...diesel :)

You had bought a turd, glad you flushed it!...7.3's have a good track record but theres some lemons out there like any motor.

I would have never down graded from a 100 series to a Ford, toyota make a WAY better ride by far....

You had bought a turd, glad you flushed it!...7.3's have a good track record but theres some lemons out there like any motor.

I would have never down graded from a 100 series to a Ford, toyota make a WAY better ride by far....

yeah I was thinking more room by far, and not to mention largely upgraded towing capacity. Yeah I won't make that mistake again.

It seems to be a pretty tough trans. Handling diesel torque and close to 20psi turbo 1FZ. For it's size and weight it is impressive.

Yes I have the A343F and it works fine, and I have tried to beat it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom