Diesel gas argument (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The best part of this thread is that the title includes the word argument. Not comparison, observation, opinion, hypothesis, etc.... cracks me up every time it pops up.

The beauty of Mud is watching people throw down absolutes (best, worst, only, never, always) on their preferred powertrain, parts, model year.... over and over again. My 94' is the best year, the only one worth buying, has the best engine, will never need a rebuild and will always dominate everyone else. :flipoff2:

True, so true!!

Better than no turbo.:p

Bought my cruiser with a thrown rod.
Spent way too much money rebuilding a 1fz.
Don't regret it as it was an awesome learning experience and i know every inch of the engine bay now -

BUT

Wish I had gone diesel for the fun factor/range. Was looking into toyota diesel swaps but hard to get good motors and parts. Cummins wasn't a great option at the time. The cost difference of a diesel buys a lot of fuel though.

Turbo and an LRA tank ought to fix that. or not.

Good data
FWIW My travel partners 1HDT diesel does do A LOT better on slow speed wheeling than my gas 80.

Yaeger is not a good comparison as he for some unknown reason gets the worst MPG (8-9) of any 80 series I have ever seen. LOL

In the end drive what makes you the most comfortable.

I just got 9 MPG driving from the Bay Area down to Orange County. I figured it was normal? I'm running 315s with stock gears. I think I need to do a search for things to check when you get horrible MPGs!

I just got 9 MPG driving from the Bay Area down to Orange County. I figured it was normal? I'm running 315s with stock gears. I think I need to do a search for things to check when you get horrible MPGs!

MPG was at 62mph if I move up to 75mph I will see a drop of ~4mpg or more.

Interesting. Ronny Dahl just put up a video of a 80-Series on his Modified series.
His 1HD-T took a dump in his 80 at 180k miles due to the common BEB issue.
"Something something Toyota diesels are more reliable than the LS, something something." :p
At this point if someone buys one of these motors and doesn't change the BEB's it's their own fault. The issue is easy/cheap to fix and couldn't be better documented.

At this point if someone buys one of these motors and doesn't change the BEB's it's their own fault. The issue is easy/cheap to fix and couldn't be better documented.

Help me out here guys I have a HDJ80 and have no idea what a BEB is

Bought my cruiser with a thrown rod.
Spent way too much money rebuilding a 1fz.
Don't regret it as it was an awesome learning experience and i know every inch of the engine bay now -

BUT

Wish I had gone diesel for the fun factor/range. Was looking into toyota diesel swaps but hard to get good motors and parts. Cummins wasn't a great option at the time. The cost difference of a diesel buys a lot of fuel though.

Turbo and an LRA tank ought to fix that. or not.

Call me when you are ready to sell the rebuilt 1FZ-FE, I'll keep it on the shelf for when mine wears out someday :)

Connecting rod bearings to us Yanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom