Diesel Fuel Prefilter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone recognize this diesel prefilter filter? It sits just above my sedimenter. This is an Aussie BJ42 .
(Sorry, couldn’t get the photos to rotate...)

can I just replace the paper insert?
how do I do it so I don’t get air in the system?
(my primer pump is not very good)

259B5A9C-EB17-4DF4-926D-F1F587347E41.jpeg
2AFDEAFA-8671-456D-A81D-F3117847F73D.jpeg
no
7883800B-A1E6-4339-9D63-84CEFD8C9138.jpeg

Its some crap the PO has added. I would ditch it and use the filter in the engine bay. The problem with that filter is all the fuel between the engine and filter will want to run out when you undo it making it harder to get all the air out.
It looks like the hose is long enough to reattach but fuel lines this are old and probably brittle and leak air after you disturb them.
That filter(looks like a sumitomo?) is really for a petrol engine and is possibly restricting the power some what.
If your primer is bad, get a new primer BEFORE you touch the fuel system or filters.

Most owners here replace it with a bosch type primer used on mercedes etc for about $20

Last edited:
Mike here, I did some changes to my 12HT’s fuel system. I took off the sedimenter and water separator and primer pump. I put on a FASS lift pump. PM me or call if your interested in this area of interest.

B33ED53F-70E1-468A-BD6E-881056DA2D0D.jpeg

17DFF5AE-3DF3-4B98-BEEC-2E0BE7B26C5D.jpeg

9FE74D30-6ACB-42C5-9DE9-9E4B17715348.jpeg

Nice work! I am going to KISS (keep it simple) and just replace with a similar crappy little filter.

Roger, I just want no water in my fuel and as close to 1-2 micron filtration. Good luck. Have a great day
That is particles 1-2/1000 of a milimeter. Not necessary and you will be starving the engine of fuel for no real good reason. A 10micron main fliter with a 30micron prefilter works best

Nice work! I am going to KISS (keep it simple) and just replace with a similar crappy little filter.

Do you have filtration in the engine bay?

Yes the stock fuel filter setup that I changed recently... and found that my primer barely works!

That is particles 1-2/1000 of a milimeter. Not necessary and you will be starving the engine of fuel for no real good reason. A 10micron main fliter with a 30micron prefilter works best
I had not thought of that, Ill look into it more. I use the same style fuel lift pump systems on my F350’s and they burn super clean. The lift pump I put on pushes (constantly) fuel to the system.
Y'all have a good one and good luck to all.

Thanks again and stay safe
(It sounds like you were a fellow Navy guy by the So Cal and V Beach addresses.)

Roger, I just want no water in my fuel and as close to 1-2 micron filtration. Good luck. Have a great day
That's a bit overkill, it's not a common rail engine. I run a 30 micron fuel manager and the factory 5 micron filter on my ranger, 115,000 km trouble free so far.
8-10 would be perfectly acceptable for an inline or rotary pump

That's a bit overkill, it's not a common rail engine. I run a 30 micron fuel manager and the factory 5 micron filter on my ranger, 115,000 km trouble free so far.
8-10 would be perfectly acceptable for an inline or rotary pump

Like I said, it works great. Y'all do what you want down there. Ill add some pics of my 87 60 and some video. This is a good system.
Y'all all have a great day.
MT

Thanks again and stay safe
(It sounds like you were a fellow Navy guy by the So Cal and V Beach addresses.)
Yes I was. I have a few great techs at my finger tips here in Virginia Beach. If you need any help with the fuel system let me know.
Appreciate your service.
MT

Thanks! And appreciate yours as well!

Does anyone know what the inside of the sedimenter looks like? Would love to see one cut in half to see how it works!

Its an empty canister and works with the water settling at the lowest point. Diesel or any oil based fuel always floats on top of water

They work ok but the glass type where you can see the water are better IMO.

Glass bottom ones don't rust either. That inline pre filter is tiny and in a bad spot that could easily be forgotten. Having one in the engine bay would better serve you. If you do go with such fine filtration make sure it's a decient size or it might restrict the fuel. X2 on the priming pump. The Bosch style haven't let me down so far.

That small fuel filter is most likely off a petrol engine and would have to be a fairly large micron filter to get enough fuel through. Diesel is thicker than petrol and flows slower when pushed through a filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom