"Diesel Fuel Only" Stock Fuel Cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The reason that the cap (77310-35061) didn't fit was that it's internal locking mechanism was a different shape than the one on my 47 -it wouldn't even go into the fuel filler neck.

From my digging around, the 2-seat long wheelbase trucks in the 40 series, like FJ/BJ/HJ45 and the HJ47, have the end of the fuel filler exposed on the body (and not behind a fuel filler door), so there are some two main cap options, a locking fuel cap, or a non-locking. I imagine that the 40 series non-locking fuel caps would interchange with one another, if from comparable years at least, but I can't be certain. There are different part numbers for the different models. I don't know if the fuel filler neck on an FJ45 is any different than one on an BJ or HJ45. I could imagine there being differences to the fuel filler necks for the 1979 earlier/later dividing line, as that is when the tank was relocated under the cab.

I just did a parts number search on ToyotaDIY for 77310-35061 and see that it is supposed to fit Toyota Landcruisers of various designations (FJ,FZJ,GRJ,HDJ,HJ,HZJ,KZJ,LJ,PZJ,RJ,VDJ7*) from 1990 onward. It is also supposed to fit 08/1980-09/1984 BJ42,FJ40 - now how can that part number be correct for an FJ40, given that 'diesel' is written on it?! Finally, it is listed as fitting 11/1984-06/1987 BJ70 and 08/1980-07/1987 BJ60,HJ60,FJ6* - again, by listing it for FJ6*, something is clearly awry there in the database. :hmm:

The other cap, 77310‑12100, i also cross referenced, and that seems like a very generic cap, listed as fitting such models as Starlet, Tercel, Corolla, Celica, Corona, Cressida, along with various Landcruisers, both gas and diesel models. So, if that cap is supposed to have 'diesel' stamped into it as well, I'm having trouble reconciling that with the models listed on that site. Anyone ever seen a diesel Celica? ;)

Last edited:
And here is me spewin that my fuel cap says diesel on it when I have a gasser :D

Here are some pics of the 12100. It does not have any Japanese writing nor any indication of petrol or diesel usage. It merely has the "TEQ" stamping.

-onur
0606010736.jpg
0606010739.jpg

The "Japanese writing" and the "TEQ", BTW, are both exactly the same alphabet, called katakana. It is used for representing words of a foreign origin in Japanese, and sometimes it is used for native Japanese words for emphasis, much in the way we use italics in English.

'TEQ' is actually the characters トヨタ = ''To-yo-ta' That's an example of using katakana like we use italics, since 'Toyota' is a native Japanese term

ヂーゼル is read 'di--ze-ru', which is a Japanese pronunciation of 'diesel'. That's an example of using katakana for words of a foreign origin in Japanese.

I lived in Japan for 5 years which is how I come to read and write Japanese.

Seeing the other cap doesn't have any diesel specific stamping on it makes better sense in terms of the parts reference on ToyotaDIY - thanks for posting that.

So glad to find out my BJ42 LX has the original gas cap as shown in the pics. Just got my Diesel and after reading this, I held my breath when opening my gas locker. Score.

This is the original fuel cap for my 1979 BJ40:

FuelCap.jpg

(Part number: 77310-55080 according to the EPC)

:beer:
FuelCap.jpg

attachment.php

Hmmmm....I didnt know they opened from left to right AND right to left.. Good catch.

I've got the same cap as Tom, but why does your fuel door open on a different side to mine Tom?? :hmm:

Are you saying that yours is still on the right-hand side but opens like a suicide door Dan?

Or are you saying your fuel door is on the opposite side of your cruiser entirely?

Either way, I won't believe it without photographic proof ;)

:beer: .... Intriguing..

Or perhaps yours opens downwards (like I think earlier models do).

Are you saying that yours is still on the right-hand side but opens like a suicide door Dan?

Or are you saying your fuel door is on the opposite side of your cruiser entirely?

Either way, I won't believe it without photographic proof ;)

:beer: .... Intriguing..

Or perhaps yours opens downwards (like I think earlier models do).

Haha, yep Tom it looks like ours are opposite? I assumed all 40's where like mine until I saw yours. I wonder why Toyota made a change and when?

Photographic evidence...
FuelDoor1.jpg
FuelDoor1.jpg

DieselLover said:
Yup, picture above *looks* like it! (Although mine was nicely "weathered" and authentic-looking!) :) For some reason I remember it saying "Diesel Fuel" or "Diesel Fuel Only"....more than just "Diesel", but I do recall mine had the "Teq" symbol as above. :
. Here is mine- not cleaned up and weathered like you said. This is off my BJ42 LX (1983).

image-3631802404.jpg
image-3631802404.jpg

Haha, yep Tom it looks like ours are opposite? I assumed all 40's where like mine until I saw yours. I wonder why Toyota made a change and when?

Photographic evidence...
View attachment 576163

All late-model forties like yours Dan? Hell no! I've been assuming all along that all late-model forties are like mine!!!

I'm not sure I even believe this situation after the photographic evidence has been presented either :lol:.

So let's get this straight:
  • We both have Australia-new landcruisers
  • We both have 1979 models
  • We both have BJ40 models
  • The sheetmetal that forms the "fuel cap recess" can accept the door-hinges on only one side and CANNOT be reversed or turned upside-down during assembly.
Yet our fuel doors clearly open from different sides.

FuelDoorCompare.jpg

Hey. .... You've been messing around with "photoshop" or something similar Dan. Haven't you?

I don't believe that I've owned my BJ40 in excess of 30 years and never discovered anyone opening their fuel door in "suicide-door fashion" like you have to do.

:cheers:

And by the way .... You're missing the little rubber "bump stop" on YOUR door. :D
FuelDoorCompare.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been there too....

:lol:

Beno,

This must have been like a pilgrimage!

The fuel cap on my '90 disappeared about a year ago. Now this thread has me wondering what mine looked like. I am pretty sure it was original.

Might need to get a new OEM now....

Last edited:
You're missing the rubber stop too Theo! (Just like Dan)

Huge thanks Tom ! just found them on TOYODIY

77308A CUSHION(FOR FUEL INLET BOX COVER)90541-03078 1 $2.33

:hmm: I wonder if it is the same as the cushion for the pedals ? Will check it out ...

Edit: the numbers don't match but I bet they will work ..

DSC_0497_325.JPG

I wonder if I still have one somewhere .. :hmm:

Last edited:
tmarx said:

That has to be the cleanest Diesel Fuel port out there. Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom