Diesel Fuel Mileage Questions, 70 series vs. 60 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys, This is my first time in the 60 series section. I recently sold my FZJ80 (1994), and am discussing importing either a BJ74 or an HJ61 with a local importer here in Richmond, VA. (under the 25year rule, full customs release, Virginia Titled, Legitimate imports, no gray market stuff).

Anyway, First and Foremost, Im having somewhat of a problem sifting through information. With so many variations, and individual variations specific to only certain countries, it makes it hard to figure out some of the specifics on the internet. I've been searching for a few days, but I figured I would post up to see if I can get some specific answers. I figured I should put up my intended uses. I may double post this over in the 70 series forums to get both opinions if I need to. BUT, I am a family man, I have a 4 year old, a wife, and a 45lb dog. I also Whitewater Kayak and we Travel A LOT. We are also avid campers. So the truck will be loaded down with gear and luggage a lot. I will have racks on it, I will haul boats and such. And I'm hoping to be able to tow my 1998 Lifted Jeep Cherokee with it, and also a BMW 325is (1986 model with a 99 M3 motor) that I am about to purchase) with it. So it will definitely be a multi-use vehicle. I suppose I should have put a better title, but hopefully this one will suffice.

I've been looking at 12H-T powered HJ61's (I believe that is the right designation), Now, these are definitely available with the 5 Speed, Overdriven transmission, correct? I believe so. Also, they make a bit more power than the 13B-T, correct? Obviously, I know they are also heavier, which has me questioning the differences. I'm curious about fuel mileage for these as well, seems to me that most say, again, around 23-24mpg with 12H-T powered Big Bodied rigs. What is the top, comfortable highway speed for these guys? I know the parts availability would obviously be much better here in the states, just do to the platform being sold here; at least in terms of suspension, axle, body panels, electrical items, etc. How well do those do with towing? Would one of these be capable of towing fairly well, say a lifted Jeep Cherokee on a lightweight trailer, or a 1986 BMW 325is on a trailer?

Secondly, I know this the the 60 Series forum, but for comparison purposes, I'll ask this in here also. Im really looking BJ71 and BJ74 variants of the 70 series, I believe, due to them having the 13B-T. This is correct, right? and the 13B-T is the Direct Injected Turbo Diesel 4 Cylinder, correct? My questions concerning those are, Realistically, what are the comfortable highway speeds for these guys? I've read some different opinions on this. Are they available with the 5 Speed, Overdriven manual? Also, Would one of these be capable of towing fairly well, say a lifted Jeep Cherokee on a lightweight trailer, or a 1886 BMW 325is on a trailer? I've read that most people are getting 23mpg or so out of these rigs with the 13B-T, is that accurate? How are parts availability with them mechanically? I know they share some bits with Toyota Pickups, in terms of axle bits and stuff. I'm no stranger to mechanical work, so I'm not worried about someone to work on it, per se, just being able to obtain parts without HUGE waits.

Comparing the 70 Series with the 13B-T, and the 60 series with the 12H-T, in otherwords; which is a more practical rig in terms of towing and fuel efficiency? I LOVE the mid-wheel base 2 Door 70's, but I also want to make sure Im getting a good, tough, durable rig that is at least somewhat multifunctional. So long as I have a Double DIN dash opening, can tow my jeep and my BMW some, and have Air Conditioning , I'm good. I obviously know both the 70's and the later 60's have Double Din openings and AC, so my main concerns are towing and efficiency.

Importing, under the 25 year rule means I can import any model made up until the current month, 1989. SO I have been looking at 70 Series, 60 Series, Hilux 4 doors, and Hilux Surfs. I am correct, they didn't make the 4 door, Long Wheel base 70 until a later date, right? One last important note, Anything I import will be JAPANESE Market Variants ONLY. That is solely due to my importer operating between Virginia, USA, and Japan. He isn't connected in the Venezuelan market or the Australian Market.

Any recommendations as to other Diesel Cruiser desginations would be much appreciated. The Difference between HJ, BJ, PZJ, HZJ, etc... is somewhat confusing, so right now I have only been searching for BJ71 and BJ74 (because they have the 13B-T) trucks and the HJ61 (again, because of the 12H-T). Im absolutely dead set on a Turbo Diesel, Manual transmission. SO Lastly, am I looking in the right places, or do I have some more options?

Im very excited to get on the ball, I spoke with the importer throughout the last week, and he is gathering up some prospects for me too look at. He seems very positive that I should be able to get something nice Well within my price range.

Thanks in advance for any help and discussion :D I'm excited to be chatting with some of you, and to learn a bit more about these rigs. I'll miss the 80 series forums that I used to lurk around in all the time, but I'm sure you guys will be just as fun!!!

Thanks
Brian.

Ok thats a big one. I have a 12ht powered hj61. Live in south Australia so everything is on the right side of the car haha.. personally id go the 61 bigger longer. Power on tap especially if you wind boost and fuel and intercool. The 12ht is a beast and will happily lumber around pulling houses. Just not excessively fast if fully loaded but lets face it your not going to be racing a leaf sprung bus. I can happily sit on 110kph even more all day. But again 110 is enough and will hold that speed up hills no problem. Mine is slightly tweaked but nothing crazy. The bj70's are small. Lift wheels like crazy(which is awesome to watch) but are so much more unstable than a 60. My fuel economy is excellent but its rarely stacked to the gvm. Something around 11 to 12 litres per 100km.

Ive been talking to the 70 guys in the other section, Im definitely leaning towards an HJ61!!! The power, with around the same gas mileage is appealing. I also have been around the block long enough to know that you can never have too much space!!! My Cherokee is little, and has a 3 link long arm setup, so having two small utes might be overkill anyway. I was fairly used to having all the space my 80 series had to offer.

With the 12H-T, what are some of the maintenance items I should intend on stocking up on, since they obviously don't have a huge support market here in the States like you Aussies :D Little things, like hoses, clutch, special filters, etc... Things that could break and leave me stranded?

Also, what kind of overall mileage could I expect to get out of a 12H-T before they typically need an overhaul?

Thanks for the response!

Mine had done 500,000klm before I decided to rebuild. Was still running beautifully but used a bit of oil. I think it would have been fine for another 100,000km but had the money at the time. Iv heard of them doing upwards of 700k. Id say your usual sundries for service would be about it for spares really. Belts, hoses and filters. Honestly iv never heard anyone having issues, they are just that reliable. If you find one with say 300,000km on clock it might be wise to pull the pan and do bearings. Big and small and drop the pistons, the top ring land on the original pistons are known to flog out around this mileage so new pistons with steel ring land insert is a good idea. Wont stop the motor but will use oil. Normal other things, injector service.. bout all I can think of

Sadly, 80's wont be available here for another for years, but I have already contemplated that Ill get the 60/70 this year, and most likely upgrade to a newer model when they become available. In the U.S., customs requires a vehicle to be 25 years old, or older before you can bring it over and get it legal. The plus side of this; I would have no problem reselling a real deal, diesel Land Cruiser in the states. Most likely, I'd be able to drive it for a few years and even turn a profit when I sell it to move on to a newer model. That is of course, If I wasn't totally satisfied with the HF61. Visually, they look way better, and I like the old Spartan interior more also.

In my recent reading, I have read that the 12H-T is a more reliable motor than the newer generation diesels. Do you have any knowledge on this?

12ht is gear driven and the newer generation are belt driven and timing belt snaps are BAD as you would know. IP, crank and cam are all gear driven so timing going out isnt really an issue either. Pump timing if its been removed maybe

Keep in mind, Diesel owners lie about mileage as a rule (there are exceptions to that rule of course). So take every claim with a bit of salt..

28 mpg while pulling a 25K trailer is probably not realistic lol

Last edited:
Keep in mind, Diesel owners lie about mileage as a rule (there are exceptions to that rule of course). So take every clam with a bit of salt..

28 mpg while pulling a 25K trailer is probably not realistic lol

Thats a bit rough... u a gasser by any chance?? If ur too poor to own a diesel don't hate those who aren't haha

Too poor? Interesting choice of words..

I have diesels (non cruiser) and gassers. Diesel owners love to claim mileage that is not true. I'm not jealous or a hater in any way. Just stating an observation.

Read my post, never did I claim to be pulling huge loads while getting fantastic mileage. 11 to 12 litres per 100 unloaded isnt unrealistic. MojoRisin has asked for opinions on a diesel 60 and 70. If u dont own one or plan on inputting a usable opinion of your own why bother posting here

Too poor? Interesting choice of words..

I have diesels (non cruiser) and gassers. Diesel owners love to claim mileage that is not true. I'm not jealous or a hater in any way. Just stating an observation.

this is pretty true, i love my 61 and have driven it in all sorts of different places, terrains, even from auto to manual.. then I see people saying things about there cruiser which I know is complete bull****, the main one being of course the fuel economy. not refering to anyone in this thread niff so all good there mate..

would have to agree with niffa on the 80, if only the build date wasnt an issue!

Read my post, never did I claim to be pulling huge loads while getting fantastic mileage. 11 to 12 litres per 100 unloaded isnt unrealistic. MojoRisin has asked for opinions on a diesel 60 and 70. If u dont own one or plan on inputting a usable opinion of your own why bother posting here

Relax, I was not singling you out specifically. Just making an observation.

Your numbers work out to about 20 mpg when converted unladen I assume. That's not out of the ballpark. Bout what I would think is reality actually.

The 61 is heavier wider and more powerful, so that makes it better for towing than a BJ74.
They can use a fair bit of fuel towing depending on weight, hills, speed etc, fuel is cheap so don't worry about how much it uses.
Brakes are the thing that limits the towing, especially if you have bigger tires, so I recommend good trailer brakes if you are towing a car regularly.

Now at the risk of upsetting people, I will brag about my economy.
10L /100k driving like grandma gentle cruising 80kph
12 - 13L /100k normal driving gentle up to 100kph
14 - 15L /100k gentle towing trailer.

I have 33inch tires and it can happily cruise at 120kph, but at that speed probably uses more than 15L/100km

I'd go for the HJ61, especially if any towing is a possibility. I don't think you'll like towing with a SWB.
If the 12H-T's been well looked after, north of 500,000 kms is realistic.

Thanks Guys!! yes, I sent a message to my importer this morning telling him that im basically set on the HJ61. I did ask him about build dates and the possibility of getting a first year HJ80. But, in the end, I could always own the 60 for a few years and upgrade. Selling a diesel Land Cruiser here in the states that is in good shape is no problem!

Ive already noticed the Brake issues with 60's, and plan on doing the upgrade that so many do!! Even without towing, I like having some good, stout brakes!

I really appreciate the input guys!! Keep it coming :D

One thing to consider when comparing fuel economy is that the U.S. uses a different size gallon than almost every other country. It's easier to compare with liters/100k. Also, driving a RHD vehicle and waiting to make a left turn can suck sometimes.

You should have no problem importing a diesel 80 series up to 1992 - 1993 (due to the 21 year EPA exemption) provided it is left hand drive and you go through a registered importer who can make the necessary safety changes. Having the importer do the modifications will be expensive, but it's the only option if you want something newer than 25 years. If you want to search for LHD diesels, there are quite a few in Europe but the rust will likely be worse than Japan. Shipping to VA from europe should be cheaper though.

I was aware of the 21 year EPA exemption, but the 25 year rule, and the abundance of RHD LC's in japan seems to make it a cheaper alternative in the end. Im looking at being able to get a good, solid HJ61, Titled, Inspected, Full Customs release; you know, the works, for around $12,-$13,000 U.S. Dollars. :D Hell, a clean 60/80 here can cost that much! I sold my 80 for $8000, and kick myself because of how easy it was to do so, Im sure I could have got more out of it. On the other hand, I am glad that it went to a good home.

I'd also go for an HJ61. It's more practical than an early 70 series, with more cargo area and more seats.

Though, by the time the 80 series came around, the rust problem seems to have been solved. That's also a huge plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom