Diesel Fuel additive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've use Power Services Diesel Kleen, Howes, 2 stroke, and a number of others. For the last 4-5 years I've been using Diesel Services 4 + in all the diesels. Also every year or two a can of Diesel Purge is run through at 100% til the can is done. Had the injectors done (new tips) in the 13BT least year as well, which made a huge change in the acridness of the exhaust. Biggest change in smoke from the exhaust for the 1HD-T and 13BT thus far was changing from Coop diesel to Petro-Canada diesel.

There are a number of us testing the XP3, though a few will not have much data till a long trip in May. Too soon to report back and it is entirely unscientific, other then fuel mileage as I am tracking my trucks with Fuelly. I want to get a bottle of LubeCorp Premium Diesel Plus at some point and try that as well.

A discussion was going on a while back in the Smoke Thread about cetane and diesel fuel quality in different areas. There are a couple links to interesting discussions on the same topic in TDI forums.

hth's
gb

EDIT: Here is a study from 2007 on a number of additives. It is dated, however still interesting. If there are any new reports on line it would be interesting to see them.

Last edited:
I don't add anything. Diesel sold where I live contains up to 5% biodiesel, with 2% being the required threshold for lubricity from my research.

I don't add anything. Diesel sold where I live contains up to 5% biodiesel, with 2% being the required threshold for lubricity from my research.

Agreed about bio and lubricity and I believe it’s a Cdn federal requirement for biodiesel. What I have never seen a clear answer on is this year round, or reduced in the winter. I also got more interested in additives for the cetane aspect after reading how s***ty our North American diesel can be, compared to many world markets.

hth’s
gb

I'm happy to find this thread. I think the LIQUI MOLY or Diesel Kleen could help the smoke and smell issues of my HDJ81V 1HD-FT engine.

My 80 got a bit smoke all the time, and sometime it would engine stall after changing the fuel filter and added 5-10% SVO. :(

Could anyone provide me any advice? Thanks.

I have been using PRI-D ( PRI Products | Advanced Fuel Treatment ) for years in my diesels (as well as using it to stabilize and store both diesel and gasoline for very extended periods), with great success and no problems whatsoever. It is a commercial and industrial (marine, refinery, etc.) product, but they do market consumer sizes of their products. I use a small Stabil bottle to accurately dispense the small amount (1:2000) needed for each tank fill, just before I fill the tank. It also works surprisingly well for treating and recovering aged fuel (diesel and gasoline).

Would this stuff be okay to use? I have the 1HDT 1993 80 series. Was hoping to go camping this winter. Expected temps will be in the 20s F.

Unknown.jpeg

Would this stuff be okay to use? I have the 1HDT 1993 80 series. Was hoping to go camping this winter. Expected temps will be in the 20s F.

View attachment 2450388
I've used that with good success in the past and have been happy with the brand in general. Power Service is the approved additive for Cummins engines. I also like Hot Shot Secret products.

I've used that with good success in the past and have been happy with the brand in general. Power Service is the approved additive for Cummins engines. I also like Hot Shot Secret products.

Good to know. Thank you. I was hoping to find some Hot Shot Secret but two auto parts stores in town didn't have it. Maybe Amazon. Thank you for the reply.

I have been using PRI-D ( PRI Products | Advanced Fuel Treatment ) for years in my diesels (as well as using it to stabilize and store both diesel and gasoline for very extended periods), with great success and no problems whatsoever. It is a commercial and industrial (marine, refinery, etc.) product, but they do market consumer sizes of their products. I use a small Stabil bottle to accurately dispense the small amount (1:2000) needed for each tank fill, just before I fill the tank. It also works surprisingly well for treating and recovering aged fuel (diesel and gasoline).
I use the PRI-D and PRI-G products all the time. In my fuel drums, I ad "KILLEM" as an algaecide/biocide. When I dispense fuel into my vehicles, I first pour some of the PRI-D or PRI-G into the tank.

The diesel in the drums at my home gets polished before being dispensed by passing through a water-block filter and a separate particulate filter, which filters down to 10microns.

Good to know. Thank you. I was hoping to find some Hot Shot Secret but two auto parts stores in town didn't have it. Maybe Amazon. Thank you for the reply.
No problem. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two from the drivers seat... both provide a noticeable inprovement over not having additive. The only reason I went with Hot shot secret was that a container gave me more doses. I'd be happy with either.

I understand from the PRI maker that PRI-D (for diesel) works just as well to treat gasoline, but not to treat diesel with PRI-G (for gasoline. So I use PRI-D for both fuels. (And of course stay away from any gas containing ethanol.)
I also use the “Mr. Funnel” (goofy name, but they work brilliantly) Separator/filter units for ensuring nice clean dry fuel.
I use the PRI-D and PRI-G products all the time. In my fuel drums, I ad "KILLEM" as an algaecide/biocide. When I dispense fuel into my vehicles, I first pour some of the PRI-D or PRI-G into the tank.

The diesel in the drums at my home gets polished before being dispensed by passing through a water-block filter and a separate particulate filter, which filters down to 10microns.

Stanadyne Lubricity formula

Some follow up on the XP3 additive a few of us tried a while back. No noticeable difference reported back to me from the 5-6 people who participated and I did not see any difference in either anecdotal tailpipe smoke or gps verified fuel mileage with my BJ74.

I watched this video from Project Farm and while it is dealing with anti-gel features I keyed onto the bearing score test. So I ordered some Hot Shot Secret products. Been using the EDT for the summer and waiting for winter fuel to show up so I can compare to last winters fuel stats, but my experience with an Extreme treatment in the 2003 Dodge and EDT in the BJ74 seems positive at this point.

Stanadyne did well in the above video as well.

hth's
gb

Ive never seen any improvement on any fuel additive I ve used on probably a dozen engines. The "old ultra low sulpher diesel is killing your pump" is BS.
Do you think the Kenworth owners with injection pumps worth $30000 would be putting up with it. The oil companies added lubricants to the diesel when they saw the problems with removing the sulpher.
The sulpher wasnt a lubricant, it was an impurity, but the process to remove it took the natural lubricants with it and they corrected it years ago.

The seals in injection pumps were changed to Viton in the mid nineties.

Ive never seen any improvement on any fuel additive I ve used on probably a dozen engines. The "old ultra low sulpher diesel is killing your pump" is BS.
Do you think the Kenworth owners with injection pumps worth $30000 would be putting up with it. The oil companies added lubricants to the diesel when they saw the problems with removing the sulpher.
The sulpher wasnt a lubricant, it was an impurity, but the process to remove it took the natural lubricants with it and they corrected it years ago.

The seals in injection pumps were changed to Viton in the mid nineties.
This all sounds plausible but I’m not convinced you’re right that the oil companies have added lubricity to compensate. The big 3 American brands and some German car brands recently recalled vehicles equipped with Bosch diesel injection pumps because in places with low sulfur diesel they were seeing very high rates of catastrophic high pressure fuel pump failure. These same vehicles are not having problems in areas where low sulfur diesel is not being used. Explain that.

This all sounds plausible but I’m not convinced you’re right that the oil companies have added lubricity to compensate. The big 3 American brands and some German car brands recently recalled vehicles equipped with Bosch diesel injection pumps because in places with low sulfur diesel they were seeing very high rates of catastrophic high pressure fuel pump failure. These same vehicles are not having problems in areas where low sulfur diesel is not being used. Explain that.

Well why dont you do your own research and prove they are not adding a lubricant? I know without even looking, big oil companies publish that data on their web sites. I find it hard to believe in the US (or anywhere else) they would falsify that information. The legal problems for the oil companies would be horrendous if caught out.
And one model of Bosch pump failing is not proof that there is a problem. Australia has one of the highest diesel owning populations in the world, but we are not seeing problems here and our diesel is ultra low sulpher. This is the only diesel you can buy, so large trucks , marine and agricultural applications are all using it as well as standard cars and 4wds.
The facts are that HP fuel injection pumps have had all sorts of wear problems since their inception. At least they are cheap compared to the old style pumps.

Opti Lube is my go-to. They have a thorough selection to meet your goals.

Rosco is vehemently anti-additive. Not many others so very much against you adding what you want to protect you rig, if you feel that way. Canola oil, 2stroke, hydraulic fluid. It doesnt take much of whatever. Fancy stuff has cleaners, cetane, anti gel, etc. Too much or extreme cleaner can cause old o-rings in old IPs to start leaking.

"If there's any doubt, there's no doubt."

Lubrication is a good thing, and inexpensive.

Last edited:
Well why dont you do your own research and prove they are not adding a lubricant? I know without even looking, big oil companies publish that data on their web sites. I find it hard to believe in the US (or anywhere else) they would falsify that information. The legal problems for the oil companies would be horrendous if caught out.
And one model of Bosch pump failing is not proof that there is a problem. Australia has one of the highest diesel owning populations in the world, but we are not seeing problems here and our diesel is ultra low sulpher. This is the only diesel you can buy, so large trucks , marine and agricultural applications are all using it as well as standard cars and 4wds.
The facts are that HP fuel injection pumps have had all sorts of wear problems since their inception. At least they are cheap compared to the old style pumps.
But none of that explains why modern HP pumps AREN’T failing in the euro market where they are running on the type of diesel fuel they were designed to run on, yet they are failing big time in the US market where ultra low sulfur diesel is mandated. I speak from direct experience, both the HP pump on our 2014 BMW 328d X-drive and the IP on our ‘93 HZJ75 failed after running on California diesel without additives. I can’t speak to the diesel fuel you get down under but I can very much speak for what we get here and I can tell you that I will not be running any of our vehicles without cetane booster. When the BMW failed, it resulted in a total loss due to the 15k repair bill. I will run b20 if available or 76 “renewable” diesel but those are harder to find so I carry cetane booster with me at all times. As others have said, it cannot hurt and all signs point to it offering a big benefit in the long run. I also see ever so slightly better MPG and can feel the truck idling smoother and quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom