Diesel Fj60 Not Starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluehawk

Appalachia Cruisers
Threads
I've got a Fj60 with a 4BD1T diesel engine in it. The cruiser has been running ever since it was finished. Now it doesn't want to do anything. I've put two different batteries in it and the only thing it does is the ignition beeps. Doesn't make any clicking noises and none of the switches or lights work. Anyone have any ideas?

The other day I went to start it and the battery seemed low. Charged the battery and nothing, no noise or anything. Tried to jump it off with my truck and no luck either. Even tried a different battery and still no luck. Checked the fuses and they all look good. The battery connections are good.

I would be looking for a fusible link somewhere near the battery positive terminal.

In this situation, your best friend is a test light.

Just went back out to check a few things. The headlights work along with the horn. When I was checking earlier, I was checking my ARB air compressor which only comes one when the ignition is turned on. So, could it be a bad ignition switch other things work without the ignition on?

You need to know where there is power and where there isn't . Until then you are just guessing.

Check the cables on your starter motor. If all good, try tapping it, maybe the starter solenoid is going bad

Check the cables on your starter motor. If all good, try tapping it, maybe the starter solenoid is going bad
Normally you get the tell-tail 'clicking' if the starter is bad, but the OP mentioned no sound. I agree with Rosco, you need to grab a multimeter out or test light and start checking for where you are getting power.

I pretty much had this same issue on a newer Isuzu npr this past week. We tried to jump one morning, then charged the batteries overnight and still wouldn’t start. It turned out to be the starter.

Given the slow cranking in the earlier post from the OP I would be looking at all the heavier cables including battery to body earth and then engine to body earth.

regards

Dave

So I got her in the garage and on the lift. Test light shows good at battery positive and negative, shows good at all six wires at ignition, cleaned all grounds to neg and positive to starter and frame with no luck. Pulled the starter and alternator and had both checked at parts store. They both check good. The battery is showing 12v but only around 428 cca out of the 650 it should have. All fuses are good as well. Just remember that I was not getting anything with the turn of the key.

12.0V is pretty much dead, way less than 25% charged at 60 degrees F , and a reading of 428cca out of a 650cca battery would indicate a very poor state of battery health. A battery fail at pretty much any electrical shop. You have no viable state of charge in a bad battery. Try replacing it.
it almost sounds like you have a parasitic drain that has permanently damaged both batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom