Diesel engine swap in an 80?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

don't forget the rear disc brakes on the '97 and abs.

Strictly cosmetic but the 97 has a rigid headliner which is much easier and less expensive to re-cover. May have better sound deadening?

Also the later models add the PS power lock switch. My 91 only has it on the DS side.

Edit: 97 has adjustable seat belt height. I major in minor things. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
For simplicity sake, I would think that the 91 would make more sense, and likely be less expensive to pick up. That said, I do like my airbags, ABS, bigger brakes, and the fact that you can get lockers. Akella may have hit it on the head...get a 93 or 94 with lockers, best of both worlds, less the airbags.

:cheers:

Steve

Uncle Grumpy said:
Strictly cosmetic but the 97 has a rigid headliner which is much easier and less expensive to re-cover. May have better sound deadening?

Also the later models add the PS power lock switch. My 91 only has it on the DS side.

Edit: 97 has adjustable seat belt height. I major in minor things. :grinpimp:

My 91 has the PS power door lock/unlock switch, 97 power seats, all leather, FFrear axle & led 3rd brake light. All installed from my rolled 94. Plug and play.

Just a thought: If you install a 1HDT, you might want to get a 93-94 because the motor is a direct bolt on. No mods and you can use the same trans that come with those years.

Last edited:
my friend runs a 4bt in a 91 with full float axle and arbs and 40s good combo, i would go with the 91 for it would be a cheaper truck in the long run i think, bodys look the same u can always switch the grill s make it look like 97, if you do go 91 i would buy a full float rea r to swap in

dont forget prob have to swap trannys also depending on what your doing, he went 700r4, been told the early bus tranny s would work but i do not no this for sure, he is running the stock 80 case put into part time

If I were to swap in a diesel, I would probably put an NV4500 behind it (depending on whether its an american diesel). The 700r4 is decent but I wouldn't trust it behind a 4bt, well behind a 4bt I would build ;). I would also probably ditch the 80 axles for a D60/D70 combo. The rear is plenty strong, but that front 8'' would be a little iffy IMHO. Plus you would probably have to rework the suspension, strengthen the frame............. I like my 1FZ :grinpimp:

Some isuzu and mitsubishi diesels will bolt right up to the a440 or a442 transmissions so I would say the 91 is better that the 97. 95-97 had the a343 which is a different animal. So from a simplicity standpoint.... The 91 is the better choice.

If you plan to do a complete overhaul with the tranny and all... Then why even question it. Both trucks would be the same so go with the newer one.

I drive a 91, a 97 has better interior, as mentioned FF rear & disk brakes. I would like to do a diesel swap on my 91.

X2 on the dash. so much better.

X2 on the trans, A440 will bolt right up to 12 valve 1HD-T

I would go with a '97 based on the dash alone (in addition to all the other cited reasons). It sounds like a petty reason, but you will spend all your time behind the wheel and the '97 dash almost feels current, but the '91 dash is prehistoric.

[No offense to our '91 owner brethren. All of these vehicles are fantastic and have their quirks and charms. However, if someone has the ability to choose...]

Last edited:
It maybe silly .. but try to fit any double din unit behind the old dash ... huge PITA ..!!!

Other reasons count too .. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom