Diesel Engine Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
In the 80 series, what was the most powerful turbo diesel offered? Are they available as low mileage complete units? In the '93 to '94 range, what auto tranny is behind them? Has anyone ever swapped a gas for a diesel? Just curious as gas prices creep up.

afternoon tucker,
i have never seen a factory spec 1hz-t. ???
or do you mean the 1HD-FT? 170ps/3600rpm. :D
the stock 1HZ was only 135ps/4000 rpm. :-\
wayne

Ooops - my bad, didn't think about what I was typing. I meant the 1HD-FTE.... :doh: Nice catch Crusher - the 1HZ is the same block is it not (at least displacement)?

I'll bet you've got one in that HJ....

Tucker

In the '93 to '94 range, what auto tranny is behind them?

BMT the auto trans should be a A442F.
According to my aussie manual there is 3 t/cases.
The HF1A is fitted to part time 4x4 models
The HF2A and HF2AV is fitted to constant 4x4 models

the 1hz and ihd-t have similar blocks, but the 1hd-t had some better oiling tricks, and apparently weaker big end bearings, but they are closely related

uh, a 12 valve 1HD-T "block" and a 1HZ block are 99 44/100% identical. The HD-T has the two extra ports for turbo oiling (the bosses are on the HZ blocks)- they even share the same crank....

heads are different (HZ indirect injection, HD direct), but most everything is direct crossover

weaker big end bearings? I'd say bad first generation. Replace them (under 100K original miles) and you are good to go. HZ has same problem when one turbos the older units.

BMT, you need to log 150,000 miles easy to offset cost of conversion vs fuel savings. DO a diesel because you want a diesel, not for some myth about short term crude speculation.

24 valves are their own system and know the difference (1995+ engine)

I've owned Diesels in the past and like how they function. The fact that the 80 came with a Diesel in other parts of the world should make it a "bolt on" type swap, if the parts can be had state side.

BMT,
buy a complete truck, cut the frame for importation and then there will be no "issues" to deal with down the road...
nothing worse than trying to find that one elusive (and usually expensive) part when she is just about ready to go... ::)
of course, just a suggestion.
:cheers:
Wayne

HZ and HD-T's (12 valve) share parts like valve cover gaskets, PS pumps, timing belts etc and HZ's are north american items since they have been found in canadian mine trucks since 1995.

using any 24 valve (1HD-FT or FTE) is asking for a long wait on parts.

[quote author=crushers link=board=21;threadid=12949;start=msg121670#msg121670 date=1079399544]
BMT,
buy a complete truck, cut the frame for importation and then there will be no "issues" to deal with down the road...
[/quote]

Ideally this is the way to go.. too bad none of the LCs that came with any variant of the 1HD are currently, and maybe not ever, eligible for import into Canada.
Next best thing.. find one in a HDJ81 and gut all the important stuff.. see pic

Sheldon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom