Diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this may be a common forum question,but I am new in this whole landcruiser thing,so here it goes. I want to convert my petro powered FJ60 into a diesel powered FJ60. Does the existing fuel tank that feeds the 2F engine the same? Does that need to be removed,or can it stay in place. I imagine the lines plumbed to the engine have to be modified in some way ?

Fuel tank is fine. Just need to modify the filler neck opening to accomodate larger diesel filler nozzles at gas (fuel) stations.
The FJ60's fuel system even has a return line from the engine compartment back to the tank for diesel engines that require a return line.

Fuel tank is fine. Just need to modify the filler neck opening to accomodate larger diesel filler nozzles at gas (fuel) stations.
The FJ60's fuel system even has a return line from the engine compartment back to the tank for diesel engines that require a return line.

Did you flush the tank or did you simply drain the remaining gasoline?

I drained mine and filled it with diesel. They can haandle up to %5-10 petrol mixed in with the diesel.

The only mods I had to do was block off 1 of 3 the fuel lines between tank and engine.The one I blocked off is for the charcoal canister to vent petrol fumes from the tank.

The other one was to install a diesel filler tube as my old one had a restriction in there for unleaded fuel only

I haven't done any conversions yet I am gather information for a future conversion,I want to be prepared and to know what I need. I also know that there is no vacuum in a Diesel engine. Do you need to find some kind of vacuum pump to activate the vacuum booster in the brake's master cylinder?

I haven't done any conversions yet I am gather information for a future conversion,I want to be prepared and to know what I need. I also know that there is no vacuum in a Diesel engine. Do you need to find some kind of vacuum pump to activate the vacuum booster in the brake's master cylinder?

You have some options ..

Electric vaccum pump .. or mechanical

Electrics are expensive ( all that I dound in Summit ) but my chioce was new alternator with vac pump attached .. around 200 USD brand new charging 110 amps .. perfect !

My next question is Transmission. I have the original 4 speed tranny and 2F configuration in my landcruiser currently. What transmission do I need to use if I am prospecting for the H model engine?

You have some options ..

Electric vaccum pump .. or mechanical

Electrics are expensive ( all that I dound in Summit ) but my chioce was new alternator with vac pump attached .. around 200 USD brand new charging 110 amps .. perfect !

do you have link to that alt with the vac for 200 usd? its not Toyota I imagine. I thought I heard hyundia galloper or something??

My next question is Transmission. I have the original 4 speed tranny and 2F configuration in my landcruiser currently. What transmission do I need to use if I am prospecting for the H model engine?

The 4 speed combo will work fine, but you won't get great highway speeds with it. With 3.7 diffs, you'll probably be looking at 65 mph at 2250 rpm's or so, which is kinda high, but it's livable.

You also should change the rubber fuel lines to diesel rated ones. It will eat the rubber if not.

One thing about diesels, is they operate at lower rpms and therefore red line at lower rpms. Make sure you run your planned driveline through a rpm calculator to make sure your highway speed works with your rpms. For a 4bt, 1800 rpms is a good rpm for cruise'n speed. If you have more questions about some 4bt conversions go to http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

Hope this helps,

The newer 1HZs and 1HD Ts have the pump built into the block so it uns off the crank gearing ,a big improvement over the old alternatordriven type

Do you mean the H,2H or 1HZ?
The H is a bit old and underpowered

You also should change the rubber fuel lines to diesel rated ones. It will eat the rubber if not.

What is the difference between the 2 fuel line rubbers? As far as I can tell there is only one rubber and it has a fluorine coating or has a fluoroelastimer mixed in with it.
My parts shop just sells fuel line rubber that meets local standards for all fuels.

The newer 1HZs and 1HD Ts have the pump built into the block so it uns off the crank gearing ,a big improvement over the old alternatordriven type

Do you mean the H,2H or 1HZ?
The H is a bit old and underpowered
I believe the engine I am looking at is the 2H engine. I am looking for something relatively reasonably priced,and will have great performance. I am concerned about renewing yearly registration. Parts of Arizona have stringent emissions standards,and having a internal combustion engined landcruiser registered in the state may have to stay that way. I am concerned I may not be allowed to convert to a diesel. I will have to get more information from the ADOT about the conversion and to see if that is what I can do. I am very impressed at how well a diesel engine works ,and would ultimately enjoy having such a great vehicle with one.

I believe the engine I am looking at is the 2H engine. I am looking for something relatively reasonably priced,and will have great performance. I am concerned about renewing yearly registration. Parts of Arizona have stringent emissions standards,and having a internal combustion engined landcruiser registered in the state may have to stay that way. I am concerned I may not be allowed to convert to a diesel. I will have to get more information from the ADOT about the conversion and to see if that is what I can do. I am very impressed at how well a diesel engine works ,and would ultimately enjoy having such a great vehicle with one.

Stick around ,Im sure someone will have local knowledge regarding the legality of diesel swaps in Arizona.

I think we are all impressed about how a diesel works. No more depressing distributors,crazy coils or shameful spark plugs;)
No surprise that over %50 of all passenger vehicles in Europe are now diesel.
Unfortunately in oz we can only get med/larger 4wd vehicles in diesel.
In Europe,every manufacurer supplies a small clean 3-4 cyl diesel with turbo.

What is the difference between the 2 fuel line rubbers? As far as I can tell there is only one rubber and it has a fluorine coating or has a fluoroelastimer mixed in with it.
My parts shop just sells fuel line rubber that meets local standards for all fuels.

I do not really know. I have been have been told to make sure that diesel rated fuel lines are a must. I would double check with the parts shop to see. It may already be rated for diesel.

you can also run power brakes off a hydrovac which is run by your power steering pump

I don't think a 2H will give great performance. In fact it will be slower than the gasser. Diesel lovers like slow and noisy. Only the big v8 diesel or turbocharged version tend to be powerful.

If you want economy and better power get a Small block chevy adapter for your Toyota trans and run a 6.2L chev diesel.

The 2H is better engine for the long run IMOP though. Anything Toyota is better.

But if a 2H is only slightly better than a 3B it isn't that great for power.

Oh and a diesel and gasser are both "internal combustion engines". Diesel being compression ignition and gasser spark ignition. An external combustion engine( is there such?) might be a bonfire or steam engine with an external fire you feed.

Anyhow thats my theory..... LOL :)

I do not really know. I have been have been told to make sure that diesel rated fuel lines are a must. I would double check with the parts shop to see. It may already be rated for diesel.

The Goss rubber fuel line I bought is labelled "fuel line" and has the AS (aussie standards) number next to it.Im sure if it was for one fuel only it would have WARNINGS all over it.They are anal about things like that
Im also using some of the 20 yo OEM rubber fuel lines and after 18 months on diesel,no problems and no chunks in the fuel filters.

When I have a problem I will investigate further;)

The diesel fuel will dislodge whatever particles and deposits are inside the tank. I changed out a few plugged filters after the conversion. I finally pulled the tank out , cleaned and flushed it, but it was a waste of time. Still plugged filters. After a few months, I finally quit clogging filters and everything is fine.

I believe the engine I am looking at is the 2H engine. I am looking for something relatively reasonably priced,and will have great performance.

I suggest driving a vehicle with an engine like you want first. Even if it means going to a foreign land to do it. It may not have the performance you desire.
I have an HJ60 with a 2H in Costa Rica. It is my most favorite vehicle. But I wouldn't bring it to the US, because it's too slow for my driving conditions here.

do you have link to that alt with the vac for 200 usd? its not Toyota I imagine. I thought I heard hyundia galloper or something??

Sorry no link .. I found those alt ( yap hyunday galloper ) localy in a pretty small shop but cheap !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom