Diesel Bitch

I live on the west coast of Canada, and I have a gripe. The price of diesel here is about the same as gas, and never fluctuates with price wars, which often leaves it much more expensive than gas. Really burns my bacon. I was recently in Alberta, and diesel was 10 cents a liter cheaper than gas... the way it SHOULD be.... WHAT GIVES????? Why is diesel at a premium here... anyone?

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
I just found a station in the Tacoma Washington area that is selling diesel for 2.10 a gallon.

I filled up yesterday.

Diesel has not gone down much here at all. For a while gas dropped and diesel was still 10c more. It's dropped a tad to what premium is. My wife has a TDI and I asked her how often she fills up. Once every 5 weeks :) she works close to home.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star

I used to work on small refineries. You know you can make 2/3rds more diesel for the same amount of gas. Isn't that f'ed up.

Here in Longmont, CO the price of diesle is the same as primium gas. good thing I am cheap and buy the regluar for the Corolla.

I just sold my TDI. But when we did have it we were getting about 40mpg city and 55mpg hwy. Diesel seems to always be higher then petrol. And it always seems to be much higher then premium octane. If I remember right it doesnt cost as much to refine diesel as it does gas. Here the diesel tax is a lot higher then the gas tax.

in the near future I will be making my own biodiesel.

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale

Red Herring said:
I live on the west coast of Canada, and I have a gripe. The price of diesel here is about the same as gas, and never fluctuates with price wars, which often leaves it much more expensive than gas. Really burns my bacon. I was recently in Alberta, and diesel was 10 cents a liter cheaper than gas... the way it SHOULD be.... WHAT GIVES????? Why is diesel at a premium here... anyone?
Diesel costs more in Australia, too. :flamingo: Same amount of Tax on Petrol and Diesel.

AlaskanWheeler said:
I used to work on small refineries. You know you can make 2/3rds more diesel for the same amount of gas. Isn't that f'ed up.

Bingo! Its a freakin gouge! Diesel used to be A LOT less than gas. Best I can figure it... its part of the petrol companies scheme to keep people dependant on gasoline... making diesel expensive, and less attractive to buy, thus less appealing fro people to buy super efficient diesel burning vehicles like the VW tdi.

We are being ripped off!!!

It is because lots of people are buying diesels now not to tow with, but for cheap commuting. The oil companies have caught on now and have raised the price. Now it will drive truckers over the bend most likely and put a lot of the private owners out also driving up other costs because large trucking companies will raise there prices and not have to worry about compition. It is just a big circle of getting screwed in the ass.

I was driving my Father's F350 last week, diesel here is as much as premium or about 2.30-2.40 a gallon. OUCH!

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

Red Herring said:
...was 10 cents a liter cheaper than gas... the way it SHOULD be....

expand on this....I am curious as to your thoughts on why you think like this.

thanks.

-Steve

Diesel is cheaper to produce then gas and requires less refining. You also get more of it in ratio per crude oil. But now that really doesn't matter because we are dependant on one or the other to have fun in our cruisers.

dieseldog

She idles just fine . . .
GOLD Star

Some feedstocks are referred to as "distillate" and can be burned "as is" by diesel motors. Other feedstocks require catalytic cracking to produce the naptha, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, etc. In ALL cases--regardless of feedstock--it takes less energy, less time in the catalytic cracking tower, and less expense to produce diesel fuel than it does to produce gasoline.

In most jurisdictions, diesel is taxed extensively and to a MUCH higher degree than gasoline. Diesel is an absolutely vital lynchpin of interstate and international commerce and transportation. As a percentage, much more of the price you pay at the pump for your diesel fuel goes to tax coffers. It is NOT the petro companies, it is the government that is causing the price to be so high. This also explains why in some provinces or states the diesel prices are so much higher relative to different grades of gasoline. Here in the States, each state individually determines how much its gas tax will be. My guess is that the same is true for each of the provinces in Canada. I would surmise that B.C. has a higher tax rate on diesel fuel than does Alberta. Also, you must take into account that some areas have no refining capability and are thus dependant upon transporting the fuel greater distances to the point of distribution.

Currently here in Houston, I am paying about U.S.$2.04 for a gallon of diesel fuel--that's U.S. gallon not imperial. It has recently come down from the absolute highest I have ever seen it where I was having to shell out U.S.$2.19 a gallon. I have also started adding biodiesel to my tank and am attempting to run somewhere in the neighborhood of B5 to B10 blend. As I get more and more biodiesel, I'll try to work on hitting B20 blends with consistency.

Gumby

Supamod
Staff member
s-Moderator

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp

There are a lot of articles in the diesel link at the bottom of the page. I would suspect, without going through the reports, that the increase has something to do with the ramp up to low sulpher fuels. It is still lower in agricultural areas by a significant amount. I noticed driving thoguh rural IN last week that diesel was about 2.05. I filled up yesterday for 2.24.

18 mpg in a 60. 100% city driving.

Top Bottom