Diesel B motor - please help me understand my rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bellaire35 got some hair on his balls.

Bellaire35 got some hair on his balls.

you guy want to be alone ????

I mean wtf ?? lol.. some of those canadian boys......got to watch out.....winters are cold and long

The Funny thing about canadian winters, is: Well BC just doesn't have a winter. Some americans think that.... If you cross an imaginary line like... aka "the boarder" all of a sudden you think theres igloos on the north side.

So how about that water ya'll are drinking down there? or lack of?

ok..Update Got the Injection pump back and in...now runs very well although I think I can turn down the fuel...anyone know how and/or where on this style IP ??

ok..Update Got the Injection pump back and in...now runs very well although I think I can turn down the fuel...anyone know how and/or where on this style IP ??
MaxFuelAdj.jpg

Mark the position of the screw as it sits now. Loosen the lock nut. Screw in 1/4 turn and relock. Then see how that goes Chris.

(I assume you're seeing black smoke on heavy acceleration.)

:beer:

Are we having fun yet??
Thanks for answering my post...
looks as thought that would be the screw inline with the shadow of my index finger holding phone for pic.. Any instructions on how? Motor warm I would think...do you turn down till she studders then return a tad?

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

Yes. That's the screw and quoting from my previous post:

Mark the position of the screw as it sits now. Loosen the lock nut. Screw in 1/4 turn and relock. Then see how that goes Chris.

(I assume you're seeing black smoke on heavy acceleration.)

This screw controls only the "maximum fuel delivery".... So when you're foot is not hard-down on the accelerator, the fuel delivery will remain as it was before (and is independent of how this screw is set).

And you should only be making this adjustment if your engine has a problem of "excessive black smoke under heavy acceleration" and/or "excessive exhaust gas temperatures".

I guess before I start messing with anything I have to get her on the road and blow her out a bit..problem now is when running it smells like not all the fuel is being burned...but have really only had it at mid to high idle...don't know how long it had been since it had been running before I put it back together....all the PO said was "long time" which in hindsight is relitive

Last edited:
I guess before I start messing with anything I have to get her on the road and blow her our a bit..problem now is when running it smells like not all the fuel is being burned...but have really only had it at mid to high idle...don't know how long it had been since it had been running before I put it back together....all the PO said was "long time" which in hindsight is relitive

Lots of white smoke on startup tends to be a preheat issue.

If the white smoke continues once the engine is warm then it's most likely retarded injection timing or poor compression on one or more cylinders.

I adjusted my fuel screw as Tom pointed out. I only get black smoke under heavy load like climbing the mountain where I live. Maybe tom can chime in on what he considers "excessive" amount of black smoke. It would be interesting to see opinions on the ideal setting for this adjustment. Is a little black puff ok or should there be none???

Another thing to consider is altitude and temp where you live. My LC will have a fair amount of white smoke (7200' alititude) and if it's a bit cooler. This subsides after a minute or so when she warms up. When I am at the beach I get zero white smoke after glowing 10-15 seconds.

At night I can see "a haze" if I've got my foot flat down on the accelerator and there's a car following with its headlights on me..

Daytime I never see anything, even when climbing hills (ignoring start-up and also ignoring what I'd likely see if were to rev its guts out in neutral).

I don't go much above 3500 feet (1050 metres) here so I've no experience of really high altitudes.

Today people are getting really fussy about diesel emissions but these are old engines that were never designed by engineers with worries along those lines...

I think a brief puff of black when overtaking (easily see-able in the daylight) is OK for old-style diesels like ours .... but I often see diesels here (Land Cruisers, Nissans, Isuzus etc of more recent vintage than our 40-series) that have been adjusted/modified to give more power and spew out clouds of the stuff making you want to close your windows and hold your breath.

That sounds about where mine is adjusted. Maybe a little more black smoke given my load at high altitude and the degree of the climb.
I too see these adjusted so much in Costa Rica that they could be employed by the government to kill not just mosquitos but more revenue for respiratory clinics!
Hope all is well tom, Pura vida!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom