Diesel alternatives? Black Diesel? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Hey everyone, I'm close to a 2,500+ mile trip in my 1980 HJ45. I was told my engine is the H. Below are a couple of pictures in case this can be verified or disproven.

Anyone know if I would be able to use oil from restaurants on the way? Maybe filtered? Mixed 50/50 or other ratio with diesel or kerosene? Used motor oil?

Since I'm traveling, all I would be able to do is filter, I think, but still not sure if that would be fast enough.

Thanks.

IMG_5035.jpg
IMG_5033.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg
ID_TAG_INVERT.jpg

The diesel forum might be able to help better than here.

These engines are pretty robust and simple and will run on almost anything... at least for a while anyway. A friend of mine used to run his on used cooking oil from a fried chicken shop with no problems. You need to build yourself a multi stage filter to remove all the chicken and breadcrumbs obviously and you might need a preheater to thin it down depending on where you are.
There are plenty of websites around on how to do it properly including the transesterification stage.
Be warned though.. People following behind you might start to feel hungry in the wake of your chicken smoke.
On the other hand, it looks like you live in the US where you enjoy cheaper fuel than most of the world so meh.

There is far more to using vegetable oil than filtering out the chicken chunks. You can do anything, but should you?

On a cross-country trip, I would stick with that stuff called 'Diesel' sold at fuel stations. Maybe add a pint of 2 cycle oil to every tank to be nice to your injection pump. The most dedicated fryer-oil guy I knew never ran more than a 20% concentration of his homemade fuel and said that by the time you make it correctly, you don't really save any money.

Yeah I was told by someone that a vehicle on a long trip tried the chicken oil stuff and screwed up the engine.
I'm gonna post in the diesel section to get more input, but so far it seems not to be a good idea.

Thanks!

These trucks were designed to cope with awful fuel quality in developing countries, so will last a lot longer on chicken fat than my diesel Jaguar would. Having said that I won't be rushing out to fuel up either at KFC.
If you're still not happy with your cheap US fuel and the better mileage than all the other guys around you running gasoline, then you must be racking up some miles - maybe enough to justify an LPG conversion? ;)

These trucks were designed to cope with awful fuel quality in developing countries, so will last a lot longer on chicken fat than my diesel Jaguar would. Having said that I won't be rushing out to fuel up either at KFC.
If you're still not happy with your cheap US fuel and the better mileage than all the other guys around you running gasoline, then you must be racking up some miles - maybe enough to justify an LPG conversion? ;)

Makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom