Diesel? 80 Series vs 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am new to the forum and looking to get into my first LC. Have heard great things about the 80, but am intrigued by the fuel economy of the 70 series. Would love any insights on what key considerations should be in deciding between an 80 series vs 70 series diesel? Also, how available are 80 series with diesel?

Neither 70 nor 80 diesel was offered in the US. Both can be had, but not easily or cheaply.

The Diesels in the US are really hard to find. If you can deal with a RHD, then that will be your best option. They come from Japan and are not uncommon. They are a really good price too. LHD are unicorns. I spent 6 months getting one from Spain and it wasn't cheap. I just posted a Craigslist find in Atlanta. Should be up now. It is a 70 series LHD Diesel for a great price (Under $18K). I will have an 80 series LHD Diesel for sale sometime in the near future. But it will be in the $25-27K range. (Please, no inquiries on it yet. Not ready.)

Most stock diesel 70 Series you'll find have the 1HZ. Great reputation for reliability ... and low power (for the way we use Cruisers on this continent). Yes, I've driven a brand new 70x with the 1HZ and manual tranny.

I like my 80. Quieter than my gasser 80 and much better performance.

Completely different platforms.

Leaf springs vs coil springs be the #1 difference.

LHD is not hard to find at all, in either 80 or 70. Usually the 70’s are much more used up though. For most of the world, a 70 is a work truck and an 80 would be a family hauler or luxury.

Educate yourself before purchase. Get a 3rd party to inspect if you can’t and don’t k ow what you are looking at. Use a reputable shop for this, preferably one familiar with both models and diesels.

Plenty of people get burned buying these trucks because they are not educated in them. Just because somebody talks a bunch or seems solid doesn’t mean they are. Remember used car salesmen are not to be trusted.

Cheers

^^^^this
Springs v coils. Different all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom