Diesel 80 or diesel 60, for our second vehicle? We have a gas 80. (1 Viewer)

Diesel 80 vs diesel 60 - for overlanding, longevity, durability, and road trips?

• Diesel 80

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Diesel 60

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're getting to the point where diesel 80's are going to be 25 years old (and thus legal for import). We have a gas 80 which is the absolute bomb. It's been very good to us. We're not getting rid of it. But we've moved to a place where my previous DD just isn't going to cut it anymore, and I absolutely have to have 4x4 on a daily basis. My Prius can barely make it out of the driveway and after a little incident with a snowdrift, I've decided that after 250,000 trouble free miles, I've gotten my money's worth out of it. So I want to replace it with a Land Cruiser, because my experience with our FZJ80 has been so positive.

My question is this - for overlanding and use in heavy snow, would you prefer a diesel 80 or a diesel 60? I've always coveted a diesel, so it's gotta be diesel. I also sort of want a RHD vehicle, just to be fun and different. I am concerned about the 60's propensity for rust, but I also like their cavernous interior (and good looks!). On the other hand, we already own an 80 and know how to give it the love and care the 80 needs. I don't know how similar the drivetrains are between gas and diesel 80's, but it'd be nice to do both front axles at once, for example. I also know I can get the diesel 80 with lockers, and I am not sure I can find a 60 with lockers. Parts availability in the USA for diesels might be an issue, but since it's a second car, I can wait on parts. I'm sure we'd be pleased as pie with either of them, but perhaps someone can point out something we haven't thought of?

For snow look for full time VX with 1HD-FT. Part time 80s are not as good as full timers.

RHD - I would not go for RHD, just personally me thinks it is not safe.

Why not go all out and just get a 70 series?

You should ask this in the 60 subforum.
In all seriousness though, I personally prefer the more basic and better looking 60 but for snow driving full time 4 is really nice.

My daily driver is RHD. I don't think it affects safety at all, but it is kind of annoying for drive-thoughs, atms, etc. Totally worth it though when you give someone a ride and they instinctively walk around to the drivers door.

Go with the 80. Better HVAC, more comfortable, more rust resistant, more capable.

70's are cool, there are a lot of them where I live (Canada), but they are objectively inferior to an 80 in a few ways. Leaf spring suspension and underpowered engines (especially in the years available to you) being the main issues.

I don't think it affects safety at all, but it is kind of annoying for drive-thoughs,
Not only, we have a lot of RHDs - most of them crush head on. Mostly in attempts to overtake in narrow roads. Mostly killing the front passenger instantly.

Not only, we have a lot of RHDs - most of them crush head on. Mostly in attempts to overtake in narrow roads. Mostly killing the front passenger instantly.
The key is to not go when you can't see. I've driven a RHD for four years without so much as a close call.

The key is to not go when you can't see. I've driven a RHD for four years without so much as a close call.
Exactly. There are situations where RHD might prevent you from passing someone*, but unless you're being deliberately reckless it should never put you in danger.

*Probably not very often in a diesel cruiser though.

On pavement/black ice/snow/pavement/ice/snow etc, etc....

The 80s AWD is superior to the 60s (or any part time) 4Wd. In those conditions AWD rules.
Part time 4wd (aka 60) really binds up the drivetrain.

I personally do not like RHDs as they keep trying to stay in the middle of the road, as the driver needs to keep his eyes on the road and he desperately needs to peek the vehicle out to see the road situation.

I've owned both a diesel 60 (with the 2H), and my current 80 has the 1HD-T. I've done long expeditions in both. I loved my 60 and didn't really want to part with it, but for long trips there's no question in my mind that the 80 is superior. The 60 is aesthetically beautiful, and its simplicity makes it easy to work on even with my limited mechanical skills. But the 80 doesn't leave me as tired after a long day on the road, and the AC blows air that's actually cold.

I have been a front passenger of a LHD vehicle in a RHD country. When the driver moved out to take look, as in passing a truck, my pulse went up considerably. :)

Is there a true, real need? Or is this a "want b/c we never got" type thing?

Not knocking what we didn't get - I am the same about Euro spec BMW's. Many got superior motors/configs that never made it here. But I won't go RHD over it, they have LHD Euro rigs so I can scratch the itch without looking like a postal delivery rig.

Parts aren't as readily available for glowplug 80's here in the States, same with servicing the motor - and you're putting up with RHD.

I really don't see the attraction - even the guys who want to wave the "zombie apocalypse" flag would probably say the money is better spent on beans, band-aids & bullets.

I just don't get the glowplug infatuation since we never got any form of one here - and the parts won't get easier to find the longer these go beyond that 25 yr import rule either.

I'd rather a princess perfect (or my ~75% still awesome sig 1FZ-FE 80) low-miles & locked 1FZ over bothering to go to glowplugs.
We get the freshest, cleanest gasoline in the world here, so varnished gasoline is even a non-issue if you were to keep some Stabil in a few cans, zombie apocalypse or whatever.

Besides, the forklift motor prob will run fine on varnished gas you collect from punching gas tanks in that "zombie world".

Is there a true, real need? Or is this a "want b/c we never got" type thing?

Not knocking what we didn't get - I am the same about Euro spec BMW's. Many got superior motors/configs that never made it here. But I won't go RHD over it, they have LHD Euro rigs so I can scratch the itch without looking like a postal delivery rig.

Parts aren't as readily available for glowplug 80's here in the States, same with servicing the motor - and you're putting up with RHD.

I really don't see the attraction - even the guys who want to wave the "zombie apocalypse" flag would probably say the money is better spent on beans, band-aids & bullets.

I just don't get the glowplug infatuation since we never got any form of one here - and the parts won't get easier to find the longer these go beyond that 25 yr import rule either.

I'd rather a princess perfect (or my ~75% still awesome sig 1FZ-FE 80) low-miles & locked 1FZ over bothering to go to glowplugs.
We get the freshest, cleanest gasoline in the world here, so varnished gasoline is even a non-issue if you were to keep some Stabil in a few cans, zombie apocalypse or whatever.

Besides, the forklift motor prob will run fine on varnished gas you collect from punching gas tanks in that "zombie world".

Part of it is "Want what you can't have", definitely. A real Aussie/African Land Cruiser, RHD and spartan interior and the weird PTO winch, etc. It'll be our second vehicle, so I am probably not going to be bothered waiting on parts. As for passing on RHD, I'll wire up a small camera somewhere on the left side of the truck for safety if I really deem it necessary. I agree with your "fresh perfect gas 80" idea for a first car, and in fact, that is indeed our first car. But we want something similar, but different!

Now we need only find the perfect diesel 80...

Put a 2.5" lift on the RHD 80, and you'll find you can see over or around most stuff on the road you need to pass. It's VERY different than driving a RHD, low to the ground car in a LHD world, that's something I'm not interested in, and I'm on my 3rd RHD. For everything else, rely on your navigator, lol.

Honestly, driving a RHD 80 in a LHD world isn't bad at all, you get used to it very quickly.

I never saw the attraction of a RHD diesel until I owned one. You get used to it very fast. I find the only people that have a hard time adjusting are the passengers... I wonder why!

Everyone on this forum seems to state "parts availability" as an automatic response to these things. You can get parts for these easily and cost effectively if you know where to look and who to ask. Discontinued parts are the biggest issue, but that's something that effects all regions.

I never saw the attraction of a RHD diesel until I owned one. You get used to it very fast. I find the only people that have a hard time adjusting are the passengers... I wonder why!

Everyone on this forum seems to state "parts availability" as an automatic response to these things. You can get parts for these easily and cost effectively if you know where to look and who to ask. Discontinued parts are the biggest issue, but that's something that effects all regions.
Where should I be looking for parts? Thanks.

Where should I be looking for parts? Thanks.

@beno and @Akella to name a few forum members. I've sourced parts from my local dealer, the UK, Australia, Japan(I need a translator for this), etc.

My new favourite place for parts is Partsouq. I usually get my order in a couple of days, brokerage can be pricey though.

They have some of the lowest prices I've seen. For example a rear locker actuator is $450USD from them, seems to be closer to $700 even from some of the better US part sources.

I owned HiAce RHD, and there you have driver's seat mounted higher than in Land Cruiser, still. You constantly move closer to the center of the road. As you need to keep the situation under control. It bothers others, especially fast movers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom