Diesel 60's compared to Gas 60's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oil pressure
compression
history if possible

a decent body in the states is easy enough to secure, a decent diesel engine is harder and more expensive. you need to have a proper budget to do the job right the first time. if you have a good truck then a budget of $12-$18K will get you a very nice, reliable, DRIVEABLE diesel swap.

cheers

The JDM HJ61 was only available with the high roof, other markets such as Australia had the option of both low and high roof models.

It looks as though the General and European markets got both the manual and auto from 10/85. The Japanese on the other hand got the manual from 10/85, but waited until 08/86 for the auto.

Power windows and such would vary between makets, spec levels etc.. im sure the lower spec aussie HJ61's could be purchased with manual windows.

Same applies for swingout vs liftup tailgate - some markets had only one option, others had both.

SilverSixty,

You never did mention the area where you will travel 80% of your time is flat, hilly or mountainous. The 3b will do fine on the flats. Hills, t'hats another issue all together. Mountains, forget it unless you want to be stuck in first or second gear.

What are good compression numbers for 2h? 12ht?

They have different numbers ; 2H is non- turbo IDI usually in the 20.5- 21 to 1 ratio

A 12H-T is turbo and Direct injection around 18.6 to 1 ratio

A factoid * a well drawn up turbocharged 2H has a bit more grunt @idle to 900rpm than a well looked after 12H-t, Due to a higher compression ratio

This is especially noticeable in a well drawn up turbocharged IDI 3B @ idle to about 900rpm compared to a factory set-up 13B-T

I have driven both types ; with a load on a turbocharged 3B @ idle you just have to let go off the clutch pedal and you are moving.
With the factory turbo 13B-T on a similar weighted machine I find that I have to sluff the clutch a bit to get moving. Both idles on turbo 3B and 13B-t @ 600rpm

Note I am a D.I. Factory turbo kind of guy

The 2H and 3Bs are a little better off road for compression breaking down steep trails.

I fixed my 13B-ts ability to be a good off road engine. This is my Aaron spring. It stiffens up the pedal to get a solid non sketchy throttle response.
I have one for my 12H-T also but it has a more complex linkage.
Cruiser-Scooter Jan 2010 044.jpg

Last edited:
How does a 2h with a turbo installed compare to a 12h-t ? Are they about the same or is there a big difference in performance? How does the life of a 2h with turbo compare to the 12ht?

Life span will greatly decreased if installed a turbo.
I'm a guy of factory turbo engine also.:D

untrue statement.
a turbo DOES NOT decrease the life span of an engine ... your right foot does.

Sorry I just gave the ratio numbers. Someone correct me please 520 for 2H IDI
and 420 for DI 12H-T

2H - 398 psi or more (min recommended is 284 psi)
12HT - 427 psi or more (min recommended is 284 psi)
factory service manual 2H/12HT (1985)

2H - 398 psi or more (min recommended is 284 psi)
12HT - 427 psi or more (min recommended is 284 psi)
factory service manual 2H/12HT (1985)

This is not correct, Wayne. The factory service manual is in error. The 2H has 427 psi, 12HT is 398.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom