Diesel 60 Series info wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red Fox Ranch

SILVER Star
Threads
I've done a little research, but not a lot on the diesel engines that came in 60 series Cruisers. However what I am looking for is a TOYOTA turbo diesel 6 cylinder with or without a H55F five speed transmission. Wanting it all mechanical if possible (NOT ELEC.), but like I said I'm not totally sure what's available or what they came with. I want it compatable with the offset stock Toyota axles under my FJ60.

Does anyone recommend buying from some of the importers or have one laying around they would like to sell?

Does anyone know how difficult parts are to come by when needed?

Any info or knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

There is a lot of info on both this and the International forum. Do a search...also try G&S Cruiserparts in Vancouver. Lots of info on their site.

The Toyota deisels are hard to come by. You will have to sit on a waiting list for a while (maybe a long while). Parts not so readily available. That's why I think a lot of people are swapping to USA diesel engines like the Cummins.

PS If you want a Toyota diesel get ready to pay big bucks.

The only thing I would add to nikos8's reply is that the advantage of the Toyota engines listed above is that they were designed to fit into a 60. I've looked into this pretty extensively, and kind of fell in love with the Cummins engines. But bear in mind the exhaust is on the passenger's side rather than the driver's side, they are taller engines and require at least 4" of lift. The Dodge Cummins engine is a couple of inches longer than a 2F as well. Finally, the 4 cylinder Cummins turbo is 120 hp vs the 135 for a 2F, but with a lot more torque.
The thing I wonder is if the Toyota diesel is cheaper in the long run because of the easier (in theory) installation. Guess you have to chech threads of people that have done both.

I have looked at this quite a bit, but not actually done the swap.

The Toyota factory turbodiesels were not designed to go into a 60 series. They were built for later cruisers, buses, trucks, etc. Many (all?) of them are not a bolt up to the H55F transmission. The manuals that they work with are the 15X series, which are compatible with fulltime 4WD tcases made for the 80 and 100 series cruisers.

You CAN adapt them to work. Get out your checkbook, a Toyota 6 cylinder factory turbodiesel, adapted to an H55F and installed in a 60 is going to cost about $15,000 - maybe more depending on accesories.

Personally, I would love the combination, but the dollars are just too high to justify the expense.

M

Mike S said:
IYou CAN adapt them to work. Get out your checkbook, a Toyota 6 cylinder factory turbodiesel, adapted to an H55F and installed in a 60 is going to cost about $15,000 - maybe more depending on accesories.M

You mean like this one? This particular one has a new head gasket, new injectors, rebuilt turbo, 300mm clutch disc, new rear main and pilot bearing, rebuilt H55F with 1HZ shaft, rebuilt t-case with fully splined gearset including PTO gear, hi temp coated exhaust manifold, ACL BEB's, valve set done, and some other stuff I am sure I am forgetting. In the $10,500 to $10,600 USD range we will not be building another to this extent any time soon.

Mike, the 12HT is a factory 6cyl direct injected turbo charged engine that was built and installed at the factory in the 60 series. Comes with the H55F or A440.

hth's

gb
1HD-T-H55F.jpg

Last edited:
theMule said:
Any info or knowledge will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

There is lots of information in the international section. Just type in 12HT, 1HZ, 1HD-T etc.

hth's

gb

Greg_B said:
You mean like this one? This particular one has a new head gasket, new injectors, rebuilt turbo, 300mm clutch disc, new rear main and pilot bearing, rebuilt H55F with 1HZ shaft, rebuilt t-case with fully splined gearset including PTO gear, hi temp coated exhaust manifold, ACL BEB's, valve set done, and some other stuff I am sure I am forgetting. In the $10,500 to $10,600 USD range we will not be building another to this extent any time soon.

Mike, the 12HT is a factory 6cyl direct injected turbo charged engine that was built and installed at the factory in the 60 series. Comes with the H55F or A440.

hth's

gb

Greg - You're right, of course. I been looking at that 1HD-T for so long I have forgotten the 12HT, which ahs about the same power output as the 2F. Still on the fence on your engine...

M

paulj said:
and kind of fell in love with the Cummins engines.

The thing I wonder is if the Toyota diesel is cheaper in the long run because of the easier (in theory) installation.

I really love the Cummins engines, I own a 02 Ram with the Cummins, I have new injectors, Edge chip, 4" mandrel bent T304 stainless piping... oh it runs and I can't say there's a better engine. I've done a lot of research about the 4BT and think it to be the best motor for a Cruiser, but I just think of the pain in the ass of changing motor mounts, cost of a NV4500, trans case, centered rear axle... on and on, and then when you're done how TOYOTA is that??? It's basically a hacked up Land Cruiser running too much non-TOYOTA stuff. Do I think the Cummins would be a better set-up, hell yes. Cost-wise after you round up all the parts, and add all your time for the conversion, I dunno I think it's almost 6's. I guess that's just the purist coming out in me, I think opening the hood and seeing that TOYOTA diesel purring under there would just bring a tear to the eye!

I guess I'll have to ponder the pros / cons a little longer.

Thanks for all the great feedback, it's good stuff!

Don't really have to get a centered rear axle. Advance adapters has an adapter to mate the NV4500 to the stock Toyota transfer case.

Then it would still be mostly cruiser.

VTCruiser said:
indeed, however he specified mechanical injection, the 1HD-FTE is electronic ;)

Upss .. ! sorry .. :confused:

If you buy and 1HD-T with tranny and you put this H151 input shaft in your H55F to keep my 2H clutch assembly .. thatś I thought is good shot . off course if you found that .. ! :D

Tapage said:
If you buy and 1HD-T with tranny and you put this H151 input shaft in your H55F to keep my 2H clutch assembly .. thatś I thought is good shot . off course if you found that .. ! :D
Yeah, whatever he said....???

FWIW if I had the choice I would have definetely gone with a Toyota diesel engine over the 4BT, possibly even the 12HT but a 1HD-T without a doubt. 1HD-FT and I would be a very very happy camper. The 4BT is sweet but is a rugged loud industrial engine and the Cruiser engines are much more comfort / daily driver oriented especially with their higher horsepower numbers. Kaleb I'm sure you've seen my site but it runs through all the Toy diesel options... Greg & Sheldon are an excellent source as well. Hope it helps, you can always pick my brains any time. Honestly the motor mounts etc were super easy, not that hard at all. Honestly probably harder to relocate and/or cut off old Toy mounts & keep them clean then fab up good 4BT/6BT mounts. Especially for a guy with your fab skills. Cost is about the same otherwise...

CTiger said:
hahaha... yo tambien no se que dio pero probabmente no fue estupido:flipoff2:

Tapage, puedes repetir? :cheers:

Ok parece que en ocaciones mi ingles me traiciona ..

Again,

I try to explain, maybe if you found an 1HD-T engine with tranny ( H151 ) you can do the swap, input shart are interchangeable and you can keep you H55F clutch assembly ..

My idea ( in my own case ) is keep my H55F and my split case with already Marks underdrive gears instaled.

dieselcruiserhead said:
FWIW if I had the choice I would have definetely gone with a Toyota diesel engine over the 4BT, possibly even the 12HT but a 1HD-T without a doubt. 1HD-FT and I would be a very very happy camper. The 4BT is sweet but is a rugged loud industrial engine and the Cruiser engines are much more comfort / daily driver oriented especially with their higher horsepower numbers. Kaleb I'm sure you've seen my site but it runs through all the Toy diesel options... Greg & Sheldon are an excellent source as well. Hope it helps, you can always pick my brains any time. Honestly the motor mounts etc were super easy, not that hard at all. Honestly probably harder to relocate and/or cut off old Toy mounts & keep them clean then fab up good 4BT/6BT mounts. Especially for a guy with your fab skills. Cost is about the same otherwise...
Thanks for the input, I have been reading through your site a little and will be reading more in-depth it in the future for info, good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom