Did your airbag inflate in an accident? If so, how old was your Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DocuDude

Took me 10 years to find this space
Threads
Pretty self-explanatory.

I like to think my 23 years old airbags will help me in an accident.
Curious if yours did inflate properly.
If yours inflated (or didn't) , put your model year & year of accident.

Last edited:
when my boy flipped my LX the bags didnt go off. thing was hammered pretty bad.

@slow95z
How long ago?

This is a hard thing to determine, if your airbags didn't deploy, you may be dead.

And if the airbags did go of, you still totaled it, and no longer have a Cruiser.

What's an airbag? :oops:

I got into an accident (or rather and accident got into me!) two years ago.

No airbags deployed.

I may be mis-remembering, but don't the ARB front bumpers interfere with the crash sensors? For some reason I think I remember reading somewhere abouth there being some disclaimer that they were not compatible with SRS systems...but I may be wrong.

I may be mis-remembering, but don't the ARB front bumpers interfere with the crash sensors? For some reason I think I remember reading somewhere abouth there being some disclaimer that they were not compatible with SRS systems...but I may be wrong.

Don't see how that could happen, the sensor is in the console. Any frame, bumper, lift, etc, change will effect how the vehicle acts, crumples in in a crash. The system is calibrated for a stock vehicle, changes are likely to affect how, when it works.

Know of a couple of recent wrecks that deployed bags, one of them had a very HD homemade bumper. In compairason to new ones, the '80 system is crude, only deploys in hard frontal impacts, rolls, side, etc, impacts will not deploy.

Thanks for the clarification. Newer Toyotas have the crash/impact sensors in the front on the frame rails, and I was thinking of that probably. I have been curious about the deployment of our airbags too, especially in light of the TAKATA fiasco world-wide. Glad to hear some do deploy.

bought a wrecker recently that was involved in a heavy front impact. air bag went off.
its a 95 iirc.

Maybe my age is showing but if you're worried about a 90's Japanese, automobile's airbag(s) not going off when they're designed to go off you aught not to be driving such a "prehistoric" automobile... I hear the 2019 Toyota Prius has a 5 star safety rating :meh:.

Personal experience = No accidents and no airbag deployment (knocks on wood).

I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if your airbags will deploy on a 20 year old vehicle, regardless of the make or model. And while the Prius may be a 5-star crash rated vehicle, there is just something about the build quality of the "prehistoric Japanese automobiles" that is hard to beat. I'm glad to know that the build quality of the SRS system matches the rest of the vehicle.

22 years old and airbag went off fine likely keeping the stupid piece of s*** driver from not dying 😒

311CF8C6-A79E-45B6-A96E-692E1168D37F.jpeg

I bought this 97 a few months back. It had ran off the road and smashed into a culvert. Both airbags deployed as designed.

8EE15FCC-D8CD-405A-8694-A5008D445134.jpeg

My SRS light is on, and troubleshooting points to the srs module center console, switched this out and light still on so not sure what to check next. Does anyone know that if warning light is on it means for sure they won't deploy. Bit if a thread hijack, but related.

I don't know if/when 80's would have started to get SRS fitted here. My 80 (3/92) build doesn't have SRS. It doesn't have ABS either, or a clutch booster. In fact none of my cars have airbags either and two of them are 1992 build.

I don't know if/when 80's would have started to get SRS fitted here. My 80 (3/92) build doesn't have SRS. It doesn't have ABS either, or a clutch booster. In fact none of my cars have airbags either and two of them are 1992 build.

You can add them to most any vehicle...no matter how old.

AirBag.jpg

Don't see how that could happen, the sensor is in the console. Any frame, bumper, lift, etc, change will effect how the vehicle acts, crumples in in a crash. The system is calibrated for a stock vehicle, changes are likely to affect how, when it works.

Know of a couple of recent wrecks that deployed bags, one of them had a very HD homemade bumper. In compairason to new ones, the '80 system is crude, only deploys in hard frontal impacts, rolls, side, etc, impacts will not deploy.
I thought we had some type of accelerometer / deceleration sensor?

‘95 in US. Became mandatory in ‘96.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom