Did Toyota ever make the "Holy Grail" 80 ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, I HATE SUNROOFS !!! :mad:
Ok, now having vented, did Toyota ever make an 80 series WITHOUT a sunroof, roof rack and rear deflector ??
To me, that would be the holy grail of 80s.
In all my years around Toyotas I don't recall ever seeing one.

Yep. Tough to get in the States though. Some even came with manual windows.

I've seen them in Japan when I lived over there, and a few of the UAE spec 80s that are still rolling here in the 'Stan with the "poverty package" have no sunroof either:meh: I do dig the barn doors on the overseas cruisers vice the tailgate on US spec trucks:grinpimp:

Ditto on hating the sunroof. Completely useless. Check the threads, you can remove the roof rack, and rear deflector.

Think I even remember seeing a post on removing the sunroof - that's got to be a job!

Is mine it?!?

I have a '91. No sunroof, no factory roof rack, no rear deflector, sliding rear windows and my fender flares were not drilled into the body, at all! And cloth seats. Do i win?

Here's the closest you'll come here in the States.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/483148-first-lc.html

Still has the sunroof though but to me that's not as offensive as the roof rack and wind deflector. This one had cloth, lockers and no port installed crap. I think it did have power windows though. Def would have bought this one myself if I had found it first. So jealous.

I've seen them in Japan when I lived over there, and a few of the UAE spec 80s that are still rolling here in the 'Stan with the "poverty package" have no sunroof either:meh: I do dig the barn doors on the overseas cruisers vice the tailgate on US spec trucks:grinpimp:

Do you really LIKE the "barn doors", or do you just admire them since they weren't part of the USA package 80's?

I may be in a minority - but I prefer the lift upper & tailgate of the USA 80's - they serve a real purpose of giving you a countertop. a hooch with a roof, - or whatever you need - it's a lot more flexible configuration than the ambulance/barn doors, or even the drop glass tailgate of 4runners.

Just my opinion, but I also like the moonroof for the added venting & the general "fun" of it as well - given a choice, I'd have ordered a LC brand new just as we got 'em here in the States.

:::EDIT::: - OK, I did just say "just as we got" the 80's - I do understand & agree the luggage rack is flawed, and I don't have the rear wing, so I never think of it - both of those are items I don't see a need for. :::EDIT:::

I get the added rigidity & lack of problems a slicktopped 80 would have, but since we're just talking a great road trip, dirt rig, whatever your use - it's not like we're out autocrossing these things, or are worried about the weight savings of a slicktop, since we are driving real porkers for curb weight.

Last edited:
If any of you have ever shot something out of the sunroof, you'd understand their value.

Here's the closest you'll come here in the States.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/483148-first-lc.html

Still has the sunroof though but to me that's not as offensive as the roof rack and wind deflector. This one had cloth, lockers and no port installed crap. I think it did have power windows though. Def would have bought this one myself if I had found it first. So jealous.

The guy is selling it already in the classifieds.

I like the tailgate.... perfect for sitting on
I like my sunroof, almost always drive with it open
I like my power windows, my arms aren't long enough to open the rear when i'm driving
Don't have or like the wind deflector
Don't care about the factory roof rack either way, it is useless but I think it looks better than with out it.
Don't care if my seats are cloth or leather, leather looks nicer and is easier to clean but cloth just feels nicer to me

Only other sea options I car about is a diesel engine, center console fridge and manual transmission.

There were also some whose rear windows didn't slide open if memory serves.

I would never trade for barn doors, tailgate/hatch is the ultimate combination for utility/usefulness. While the power windows are weak, I would not give up the ability to open both front windows from my drivers door. The roof rack I don't care much about, if it weren't there, I would be forced to get my own, because I use it for carrying a few pieces of lumber occasionally, I would use a better rack, more frequently though. The sunroof is of little value to me, but I don't mind it, it doesn't cause any problems that can't be fixed with a few minutes work every 5-10 years.

I guess I will post something if we are all posting our likes and dislikes:

Sunroof - can live without it, but it does allow for VENTING. :D
Roof rack - Absolute must, but it needs to be capable of holding a heck of a lot more weight than 150lbs!
Power windows - love them, when they work. Same goes with locks.
Back spoiler thingy - If it keeps the dust down on my rear window - GREAT. If not, I could live without it too.
Leather / Cloth - I have now had both in various vehicles and i like cloth better. Less maintenance and less expensive to repair. Not burning your butt is a big plus too!
Tail gate / barn doors - Love my tail gate. I use it everywhere as a seat when it is time to break out lunch!

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I love my sunroof. I have loved it even more since I figured out that I need to close it before rain- or snow-storms.:rolleyes:

Also a fan of the liftgate/tailgate combination. Roof racks suck, as well as the rusty holes they leave behind. I still wish I could get a diesel version.

have a roof, love it, but no rack or deflector...

be37f57f.jpg

The tail gate rules, barn doors are useless, if you have ever had a vehicle with barn doors you would know this
Love my sunroof
Rack sucks, do aftermarket
Spoiler does nothing but I like how it looks kind of

No, the ultimate combo would actually be a tailgate similar to what the Honda pickup thing had. If I could have a tailgate when I wanted it, or a swing away, it would be best. I like the tailgate for a shelf, but sometimes I load really heavy things in the back, I like to be able to walk all the way up to it. I put a safe in the back of the 40 and all I had to do was set it down....no sliding/scraping necessary.

So, the liftgate would stay, but the lower half could drop or swing. Perfect!

http://trucks.about.com/od/2006truckintrosspecs/ss/honda_ridgeline_5.htm

No, the ultimate combo would actually be a tailgate similar to what the Honda pickup thing had. If I could have a tailgate when I wanted it, or a swing away, it would be best. I like the tailgate for a shelf, but sometimes I load really heavy things in the back, I like to be able to walk all the way up to it. I put a safe in the back of the 40 and all I had to do was set it down....no sliding/scraping necessary.

So, the liftgate would stay, but the lower half could drop or swing. Perfect!

Honda Ridgeline Truck - 2006 Honda Ridgeline

Something tells me that kind of design wouldn't stand up to the type wheeling that many of us do.... the vibrations and banging would kill that thing.

But still a cool concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom