08-15 Brake Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NKP Garage

Forever Learning
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Did the brakes on our 2009 LX570 over the weekend. I went with PowerStop Z36 heavy duty towing brakes. But the procedure is the same no matter which brakes you use.

Very easy truck to work on and the brake job from start to finish was around 1 hour. That's with using a normal floor jack and no air tools. I'm not a professional by any means, but here's the walkthrough video I did incase anyone else is doing their Land Cruiser/LX570 200 series brakes for the first time.

This is the kit I ordered, comes with everything you need for Front + Rear: Power Stop K4117-36 Truck and Tow Z36 Brake Upgrade Kit | eBay - http://ebay.us/kJGUcg

Last edited:
Going with unpainted/coated rotors is something I will never do again. The PowerStop stuff I ran on the 4Runner was unimpressive.

Going with unpainted/coated rotors is something I will never do again. The PowerStop stuff I ran on the 4Runner was unimpressive.
Which powerstop setup did you go with on the 4runner? I'm using the Z36 setup. So far after a few days it has been noticeably better than my factory brakes which still had around 60% remaining on them before I swapped out for these Powerstop Z36 brakes/rotors. Looking at the specs it looks like this Z36 setup has plated rotors that come with it.

Last edited:
Just a quick update. I have put around 1000 miles on the new brakes between city driving, highway driving, and towing our boat. The Powerstop brakes grab noticeably stronger than the stock Lexus/Toyota brakes. To my surprise, much stronger. I thought it would be a little difference or no difference at all, but they truly do perform way better than the factory brakes. I especially notice it when towing our boat, it is night and day difference from the stock brakes.

Also, the coating on the Powerstop brakes has held up well so far. We have had snow, and lots of rain since I installed them and there's no visible rust on the rotors yet.

Time will tell how they do long term. I'll try to post an update in a few months again.

What do you prefer?

Thank you very much for sharing your video. I plan to do the brakes on our 2008 LX 570 this weekend, and your video filled in some extra detail that was missing from the Project 200 video I had already watched. For those that may read this at some point down the road and are about to do their brakes, I think it is worth watching @baktasht 's video and the Project 200 one below:

Did the brakes on our 2009 LX570 over the weekend. I went with PowerStop Z36 heavy duty towing brakes. But the procedure is the same no matter which brakes you use.

Very easy truck to work on and the brake job from start to finish was around 1 hour. That's with using a normal floor jack and no air tools. I'm not a professional by any means, but here's the walkthrough video I did incase anyone else is doing their Land Cruiser/LX570 200 series brakes for the first time.

This is the kit I ordered, comes with everything you need for Front + Rear: Power Stop K4117-36 Truck and Tow Z36 Brake Upgrade Kit | eBay - http://ebay.us/kJGUcg

Cool video, maybe throttle back a bit on the "Like, Share. Subscribe" graphic. It gets very distracting.

5 month update. I've put about 8500 miles on the new brakes. Mix of highway driving. ,it's driving, and towing our boat on some weekends. They still stop great with no brake fade, and the coating has held up really well.

Took the truck in today to rotate and balance the tires. Here's a photo of the brakes and how they have held up so far.

PXL_20210529_183730365.jpg

Been a full year now and I'm at 203k miles. I've towed at least once a week on these and they're still going strong. No vibration or fading at all under heavy load braking yet. I'm a believer! Definitely going to install the same set again once I'm ready to do brakes again.

Been a full year now and I'm at 203k miles. I've towed at least once a week on these and they're still going strong. No vibration or fading at all under heavy load braking yet. I'm a believer! Definitely going to install the same set again once I'm ready to do brakes again.
Thanks for the constant update. I've been looking for a bit, found them under 500. And decided to bite after reading your reviews. Thanks

This post is very helpful. Thank you. I just picked up a 2009 LX570 and my first upgrade will be the brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom