Did the '76 FJ40 have head rests? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Head rests were a option in 76. The FJ40s that didn't get head rest had plugs in the holes. Head rest may have been a option in the US until 1979. I have never seen any of the post 78 _front seats with plugs installed.

Yep. Mine did. Don't know if it was optional or not.

Interesting, mine did not. Originally it was a factory soft top. That may have been the difference. You can feel the holes where the head rests would go, but they are covered in factory vinyl.

Interesting, mine did not. Originally it was a factory soft top. That may have been the difference. You can feel the holes where the head rests would go, but they are covered in factory vinyl.

Mine are covered in vinyl as well. I am going to see if I can find a set. I guess they are pretty much the same for all years?

I don't believe they will fit, never heard of them fiting anyway. I believe the 73 thru 78 model were the same size. Not even sure if the 73s were the same. The headrest itself was a different design. I also know the seats themself changed some between 73 and 78. Was surprise to find parts from a 76 wouldn't interchange with the seats on my 73.

My 76 has the plugs in the holes for the headrests. My understanding is that all 76 seats are set up for them but get the plugs if the headrest was not ordered.

John

My 76 has the plugs in the holes for the headrests. My understanding is that all 76 seats are set up for them but get the plugs if the headrest was not ordered.

John

I need to look at mine a little closer, but I don't think they have plugs. I like the look of the headrests better and it has to be safer as well.

Does anyone know if the '76 seats have internal headrest guides and trim bezels? Pic attached is from a '78. The guides are off-white plastic and the bezels are black.
016.jpg

John
That is the way they came. Curious how long you have owned your 76? I bought 74 seats to put in my 68 and they had the plugs but that was when the seats were less then ten years old. My 76 just has the holes with no plugs but it was over thirty years old before I bought. Most these plugs disappeared over the years. They simply slip in and out. Now should I try and find the plugs I pulled out of the 74 seats when I put in headrests to put into the 76 or just stick in headrests which much easier to find.:hmm:

I need to look at mine a little closer, but I don't think they have plugs. I like the look of the headrests better and it has to be safer as well.

Never seen a set of 73 to 78 seats that didn't come from the factory ready to except headrest. Some have been recovered over the years and the holes don't show but unless they were remove the sockets they should still be there.

I asked this question a week or two ago because it seems that both configurations exist. My 5/76 has head rests.

Not a great picture, but here's one angle.

topoff.jpg

That is the way they came. Curious how long you have owned your 76? I bought 74 seats to put in my 68 and they had the plugs but that was when the seats were less then ten years old. My 76 just has the holes with no plugs but it was over thirty years old before I bought. Most these plugs disappeared over the years. They simply slip in and out. Now should I try and find the plugs I pulled out of the 74 seats when I put in headrests to put into the 76 or just stick in headrests which much easier to find.:hmm:

I have only owned this FJ40 for a year. I only noticed the headrest holes because this spot was starting to peel. Jacket, mine is also a May 1976 by the way. Here is what I've got:
DSC01652.jpg

I have not had mine long. Drivers seat still has the plugs, passenger ones are gone. Headrests are just another thing to look for, oh well.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom