1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Scout's have Dana 44's and which rigs had them for FJ40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ55partsBoise, Oct 29, 2003.

1. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

I have found several old Scout's in a field of a neighbor. Does anyone know which Scout's had the best drivetrain's for 4 wheeling. I had heard once that some Scout's had Dana 44 setup's.

Which years had the Dana 44's? and how much of these old beasts should I take (tranny, t-case, driveline etc? to convert a cruiser in a few years to a 350 with chevy auto tranny and dana 44's?

2. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

The scout II has narrow 44's. IIRC they are 59" center to center. I think the years are 72-80. If you find an 80 it should have a dana 300 xfer and t-19 tranny. There is some differences between the IH tranny and the Ford, but I don't recall the details.

The engines are sized like the AMC engines (304, 360), but have completely different bolt patterns.

Check out http://www.binderbulletin.org/ they seem to have good information.

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    yep, later years had the 44's, many with stock limited slips. D300 is a good case, others likely not worth the effort to pull.

You will have to switch to a center-output t-case to run a rear D44, and IIRC, the front is drivers drop as well.

The International motors (304 and 345) are beasts for weight and best left in the boneyard.

4. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

Just thought i would drop my .o2. Didn't broncos have front d44s with a passenger side drop on the front?

5. cruiserman

cruiserman

There's a guy on VMP just before you cross the river towards State that has about 10 or more Scouts on his lot in various states of repair. I would ask him about what axles came with a Scout.