Did my first Knuckle Job, now the questions.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
Hey Guys,

Did my first knuckle job finally, thought it was going to be hard not easy. Working in the hot sun was no picnic, but that's where cold drinks come in. Just like everyone on here says it would take a whole weekend and it did. I was already done by 1pm Sunday, but had to wait for some brand new brake rotors on Monday. The Birf DVD by elmariachi was definitely a big help. The FSM is also a must if anyone is going to do this. After watching the DVD about 5 times you really learn it. Also having the proper tools is a must. Now for a question. You didn't think I would ask a question did you? Afterall this is a tech forum.

After looking at my front calipers I have decided to rebuild them. Looking in my FSM it looks like have to apply some special grease to rebuild them. So my question is what the heck is "LITHIUM SOAP BASE GLYCOL GREASE?" Where do I find this stuff? Is it known by a simpler name? Is it available at my local parts store or is this a dealer thing?

Thanks again for the quick help.

Where you find the stuff is in the package of the caliper rebuild kit you are going to buy from Toyota. What could be easier?

Need to do this task the coming weekend. Even if I order from cdan tomorrow it still would get here on time. In short, I need it now, now , now.

Glad to hear that all went well. Look at your "flex lines" for each caliper as well. Now might be good time to change them if they're cracked or bulging.

My Cruiser gets a front axle service tomorrow...(my turn to get dirty.)

You can buy cans of the disk brake grease at auto parts stores. I know that the local Autozone here carries it. The little package that comes with the rebuild kit is never enough for my liking. I end up getting most of it on my fingers and shirt and that doesn't leave enough for the caliper... ;p

Autozone, Okay I was trying to get it from Kragen, but they only carry 5 oz. packages.

What is a flex line? Is it same as brake line?

A 5 oz pkg ought to last you a good long time. You won't be using it that often and you don't use that much (just more than a quarter teaspoon that they give you in the rebuild kit). Unless you're in a shop that does this, you won't need more.

Yes, the flex line is the flexible brake line that is attached to the caliper.

got it. thanks dudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom