Did my AC Blower go out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday in the 105 degree Houston heat I started my cruiser (daily driver) went to turn on the AC and got nothing. I can hear the compressor engage, the lines get ice cold but nothing blows out of the vents. I tried every setting and nothing.....

Is this something that typically need an entire new blower (where is the blower??) or is there something I'm missing? Where is the best place for replacement? SOR, Cruiser Outfitters? and what do I need to get this job done?

I'm also a complete rookie when it comes to repair. Thanks guys!

There's a circuit breaker for the A/C inside the fuse panel - Driver side below the steering wheel. Open the cover and see if the breaker blew. you'll need a small screw driver to put in the hole of the C/B and push to reset.

Or it could be that the blower motor died. Easy fix - it's located under the dash, passenger side near the kick panel - held in with 3 screws (it mounts vertically). Unplug the connector and check to see if you get voltage wheh you turn the fan on. If yes then then time to replace the motor. If no you need to keep checking the electircal. Did you try all three fan speeds? It's possible that one of the motor speed control resistors crapped out. You'll see them in the air plenum when you remove the blower.

You can disassemble the motor and remove some of the crud that builds up inside. Be patient compressing the brushes on the motor when you reassemble. I was able to get mine running after a cleaning then had to replace it about a year later.

I just rebuilt my blower motor. I took it apart, soldered on new brushes I found at an alt rebuilding shop and sanded them down to fit. Cleaned all the gunk and re oiled the bushings and felt with air tool oil. Works better than ever and only cost $2 for the brushes and some time.

Is this right? No blower power on any of the ac speeds.

Photoon2011-06-13at2037.jpg

Photoon2011-06-13at2036.jpg

Also what are the "brushings," and the resistors your talking about. Sorry for dumb questions. I know I now need to test to make sure electrical is running to the blower (need to get buy a tester tomorrow). If electricity is running to the unit can I safely assume that I just need to replace the blower, also assuming this is the right part I just pulled out :)

Yep - you've got it. Get a test light or VOM meter and see if you get power to the female plug. If you have voltage the problem is the motor. If you look into the plenum that the blower came out of you'll see three wound wires that are the the resistors that vary the voltage to the blower providing the 3 speeds.

To disassemble the motor start with the screws on the black and go from there - you might have to remove the plastic impeller to break the motor down fully. just be careful. Taking photo after every step will help with the re-assembly

If you need a new one I found them on RockAuto(on-line)..motor and the shield it rights on for around 30$ if I remember right, if you have never rebuilt a electric motor might be the best way to go.

I have a perfectly functional one you can have for the cost of shipping. It is a year or so old, replaced it chasing another problem. just PM Me.

Marco,

Thanks so much for your generosity. However after pulling the blower out and cleaning everything I plugged it back in and now it WORKS! Thank God! Thanks for the help everyone. Learning lots.

Good deal, the best fixes are priceless...as in free!

As a side note, pulling the AC fan is good prev. maint. occasionally because the squirrel cage can fill with leaves and all kinda stuff and seriously deplete air volume thru the vents.

Forgotten Ways, there are a few of us here in H-town, one right there in Tomball if you ever need help, etc...
You are correct...it's stupid hot and dry here right now, glad your AC works...I desperately need to get my windows tinted again.

The a/c blower (that blows air in the heating and cooling ducts) is the same motor as the carb cooling fan in the engine. You can swap them temporarily if needed. My carb fan was working intermittently and I took the motor apart and cleaned it with electric motor cleaner.

I used this:

CRC Industries Automotive

Sweet! glad you got it working!! Good info on the carb cooling fan too!!

I have a follow up question to this thread- Is there supposed to be a gasket between the blower housing and the assembly that bolts to it?

If not, what else goes in place to hold the blower up- 3 screws with gold washers on them, right?

I'm missing something, because I am bolting the metal plate the motor is attached to to the housing assembly and holding it in place with the 3 screws and washers, and my fan is hitting something and the the motor assembly is rattling.

I think I left something out when I assembled it last time.

If I remember correctly there is a thin rubber gasket. No more than 1/8" thick.

If I remember correctly there is a thin rubber gasket. No more than 1/8" thick.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't figure out what I did with it, and I didn't see one on SOR.com or anwhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom