Did I Poke the Bear (A440 Blues)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '89 62 tranny has been running well since shortly after I bought it in October. Shifted a little hard at first, but drained and refilled it along with a bottle of Lucas tranny treatment. Put off the full filter service until I had enough time. Ran perfect for 10,000. Yesterday I did have time, so I replaced my crappy oil pan (and cleaned the pump), and did the transmission service- new filter, drop and clean the pan, refill. No Lucas this time, just 4 more quarts of clean fluid. Everything inside was amazingly clean! Put everything back together; ran great on the way home.
This morning it started some periodic slipping. Slipped back into first as I tried to pull out across a busy road. :mad:
Runs well except for slipping 4 or 5 times throughout the day. I know refilling a tranny with clean fluid after having nasty old stuff for a while can make it angry. But the fluid's not in bad shape. And it was only an extra four quarts. :confused:
I'm going to pick up some more Lucas treatment in the morning, but any thoughts on why it's slipping? Everyone on here seems to have good luck with doing a filter change. I haven't done the full Rodney flush yet, and now I'm a little nervous about swapping all the fluid at once. Should I be?
And I have plans to do an H42 swap in the future, but with no clutch parts in sight I was going to wait a while. Hopefully it's not on the way out:hmm: ?

My first hopefully guess would be to double and triple check the fluid level. These trannys are pretty sensitive to fluid level. I had the same problem when I did a flush on my last 62. Double checked the level and filled it up and was good to go.

X2 on what tsototh said. I had the same issue and after checking it several times and adding fluid it finally shifted properly. Hopefully that is your issue.

What he said. These trannies decide when to shift completely by pressure. Low pressure (fromm say a little air mixed in) and they shift down thinking the engine is slowing down.

Simply draining the pan and refilling it requires about 6.5 qts of new ATF and removing the pan and replacing the filter screen probably takes closer to 8 qts. of new fluid. As has been noted, recheck the fluid level and remember that the dipstick margin between low and full is only about a pint. Correct ATF level on the A440F is very important and checking the level when the tranny is fully warmed up is a part of the procedure.

I checked it 3 times throughout the day yesterday. :eek:
When I filled it last time I filled it a little too high; this time I was more diligent about not adding too much (which might be a bit of the fluid discrepancy?). But the advice sounds right. It feels like there might be an air pocket sliding around? I'll check it again through the day. Any ideas on how to clear the air other than running it til it clears? Thanks! Let you know if it sorts out!

I've never heard of having to burp air out of an auto tranny. Just drive it and get the level right. Make sure your kickdown cable is adjusted correctly too for best performance.

After getting the level right at temp, some have suggested taking it on the freeway and get going about 70 on a downhill, then throw it in park for a few seconds and back to drive.

No, I'm not messing with you.

The Rodney Flush...or heartstopping fun...as some like to call it, is good for stuck valves. Last year, I had some issues with my tranny slipping and contacted Rodney, regarding his recommendation. Based on my symptoms...slipping into 3rd and reverse...indicated hard seals. This would not be helped by the "flush." So before doing something that exciting check with Rodney that your symptoms require said drastic measures...Good Luck!

After getting the level right at temp, some have suggested taking it on the freeway and get going about 70 on a downhill, then throw it in park for a few seconds and back to drive.

No, I'm not messing with you.

That is not the Rodney Flush. That is called the Party Trick. The flush is just undoing the cooler line and pumping all the old fluid out while dumping new fluid in.

I don't think I'll ever have the guts to try the party trick.

When the auto goes out, at least you have an H42 lined up :grinpimp:

Now if I only knew where to get some tires:hmm:...?
And the clutch parts I need to put your 4speed in my truck:clap:!

As far as the Party Trick goes, not sure I have the testicular fortitude to try that one yet. Gonna let it idle for a while when I'm done with work today and check the level again. I think that's probably the issue. :whoops:

Now if I only knew where to get some tires:hmm:...?
And the clutch parts I need to put your 4speed in my truck:clap:!

I should have bought that HJ60 :bang::bang::bang:

I don't know if idle will get your fluid up to temp. If you can, just drive it 5 miles down the highway and back.

Definitely drive the truck and 10 miles is a good minimum to get the tranny up to temp. slcfj62 is correct with his definitions of Rodney Flush and the Party Trick. The party trick is a piece of cake once you make up your mind to do it. Just do it as Rodney describes it and not how some who say they were going less than 50 mph. 55 mph or higher insures that the parking pawl won't engage which would be a problem.

I should have bought that HJ60 :bang::bang::bang:

Next time, don't pet the horse man:rolleyes:!

Yeah, I checked it when I got home today. It was low. Does it take a little time to fill the filter? I don't know...I checked it before and after driving home Saturday. Maybe there was a glob on the dipstick that lead me astray:whoops:. Added a quart of Lucas and a little more fluid. After dinner I'll take it for a ride and check it again.

More on the party trick: above 55 and the pawl won't engage. But does it still slide smoothly into Park and then back thru reverse into Drive? I know Rodney's the man and I believe it works. But yikes! It still freaks me out.

It slides right into park and you'll hear the pin zinging like a card in your spokes. I only left it in for about a second/second and a half which seem like an hour. Shift quickly back to D and exhale.

It slides right into park and you'll hear the pin zinging like a card in your spokes. I only left it in for about a second/second and a half which seem like an hour. Shift quickly back to D and exhale.

And then do it again!

Next time, don't pet the horse man:rolleyes:!

Yeah, I checked it when I got home today. It was low. Does it take a little time to fill the filter? I don't know...I checked it before and after driving home Saturday. Maybe there was a glob on the dipstick that lead me astray:whoops:. Added a quart of Lucas and a little more fluid. After dinner I'll take it for a ride and check it again.

More on the party trick: above 55 and the pawl won't engage. But does it still slide smoothly into Park and then back thru reverse into Drive? I know Rodney's the man and I believe it works. But yikes! It still freaks me out.

The screen doesn't hold any fluid, persay, and flow is up from the pan through the screen and then on to the innards of the tranny. When the fluid is clean, it is really hard to see on the dipstick and I always have to put on my reading glasses to see the level. It's also really hard to get a good read on the stick if you have just added ATF so check after you have been driving for a while and don't forget that between low and high on the dipstick is only one pint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom