Did I Mess Up My Rear Wiper Motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi gang, in one of my moments of stupidity I left my tailgate in the up position where it just slightly slightly touches my garage door opening and, you guessed it, drove forward. I heard a slight scraping sound and stopped suddenly. The wiper arm was pushed "down" slightly as in over the paint part of the tailgate and other than that no apparent damage. I notice now that when I work the wiper it sorta overlaps the rubber seal sometimes and sometimes slightly moves over the paint portion of the tailgate. Before I tear the thing apart to investigate, what do you fine folks think that i did to the innards??? Is it a plastic gear of some sort or perhaps some simple large locknut that I can tighten to? If its the worst case conclusion, what's the price for parts approximately? Thanks. Crap. Gotta go get some rum! :cheers:

If the pivot is not bent you may be able to reposition the arm. As produced, the arm does not have any internal splines. The pivot shaft creates splines when the arm nut is tightened. As long as there is enough material left in the arm you can shift it and re-cut the splines.

I suggest removing the arm and turning the wiper on and observing the shaft to make sure it is turning true. If so, switch it off and allow it to park then reposition and reinstall the arm so that is lies in the correct parked position.

If the shaft is bent you will need a new link assembly. If the arm slips on the shaft during operation you will need a new arm.

Before re-installing the arm it would be a good idea to clean the shaft splines since some of the arm material is likely to be sheared off in the splines.

D-

Thanks so much as always Dan! I think the shaft is straight; this was a super small force on it, but I also think that the arm is slipping somewhat, in fact, I can make it shift with minimal force so I'll either cut the splines in again or I'll call and order a new arm. Thanks again. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Come help me move some dirt around the house to fix all my wash-outs from the heavy rains......:D

cruiserdan said:
Come help me move some dirt around the house to fix all my wash-outs from the heavy rains......:D

Sure, you're in luck; just installed the ARB PTO device for front bucket fixtures! You won't just have a loader, you'll have a turbo loader!!! :D :flipoff2: :D

Well, looks like I'm gonna need a new wiper arm; I removed the wiper arm, cleaned the splines on the shaft, verified that the shaft was straight, and retightened the wiper arm in the proper parked position. It still shifts position! Ohh well, one more lesson learned! Thanks again Dan, I'll call ya soon for the wiper arm and some of that oil for the fan clutch! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom