Did I make my pesky heater hose start leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on changing all my body mounts today. I had the drivers side of the body lifted a few inches in the air while I was swapping mounts.

Now I have a coolant drip drip. Any ideas what I did?

I figure I stretched a hose somewhere and made it leak?

What does the forum think?

20210911_115219.jpg

20210911_115153.jpg

The PHH hard line is bolted to the cylinder head in 2 places so if you raise the engine the PHH goes with it. Check the hoses around the heater valve area. They are attached to the firewall so raising the engine could put stress on them.

The PHH hard line is bolted to the cylinder head in 2 places so if you raise the engine the PHH goes with it. Check the hoses around the heater valve area. They are attached to the firewall so raising the engine could put stress on them.

Yes!!!! That is the kind of answer that makes someone's day lol. I do not want to mess around with that pesky hose until later this winter when I am going to overhaul the cooling system.

I will pressure test it at my buddies shop next week when I got everything back together and hopefully find the leak.

One thing always leads to another on these trucks lol

If it is around the heater valve and you haven't replaced the heater valve (search!!), replace it asap. They can break catastrophically at the hose nipples and it'll dump coolant faster than you can piss after a dozen too many beers.

cheers,
george.

If it is around the heater valve and you haven't replaced the heater valve (search!!), replace it asap. They can break catastrophically at the hose nipples and it'll dump coolant faster than you can piss after a dozen too many beers.

cheers,
george.
Thanks for the advice

The PO says the entire cooling system was replaced including the valve because the radiator sprang a leak on the Rubicon. He was constantly refilling it with creek water to get it back to the trailer lol. So apparently it got a full cooling system overhaul and head gasket after that trip along with the stainless steel headers and exhuast.

But with no paper records I am not convinced that every hose and part was changed. And it is probably going on 8 years now sense it was all overhauled. Plus my temps are up a little this summer compared to last so I am just going to replace all the parts and hoses this winter because they are still available from Mr T.

Out of curiosity.
Besides replacing the heather valve ASAP as George suggest, do you plan keeping the PHH or by-passing it?
A few years back, when overhauling the cooling system, I put the by-pass with Gates green stripe. Replacing it as PM es a breeze....and good piece of mind
Cheers!

Out of curiosity.
Besides replacing the heather valve ASAP as George suggest, do you plan keeping the PHH or by-passing it?
A few years back, when overhauling the cooling system, I put the by-pass with Gates green stripe. Replacing it as PM es a breeze....and good piece of mind
Cheers!
Either approach works perfectly fine for long term performance. It’s simply a matter of preference.

Out of curiosity.
Cheers!

I honestly don't know yet, I need to look into this and make a decision. I also need to decide what else I will do while I am "in there"..... I can't help but wanting to do other stuff if I have the radiator and such out of the way. My rig only has 135,000 miles and no oil leaks but I want to keep it that way.

Does bypassing the phh mean you loose rear heat? If so I will replace it because I want to keep my rear heater because I do a lot of ice fishing and cold weather stuff.

I honestly don't know yet, I need to look into this and make a decision. I also need to decide what else I will do while I am "in there"..... I can't help but wanting to do other stuff if I have the radiator and such out of the way. My rig only has 135,000 miles and no oil leaks but I want to keep it that way.

Does bypassing the phh mean you loose rear heat? If so I will replace it because I want to keep my rear heater because I do a lot of ice fishing and cold weather stuff.
No. “Bypass” is a poor description that was adopted to describe using a length of hose in place of the the factory metal tube that partially connects the phh to the firewall-mounted heater valve. It’s not a phh bypass but rather a “metal tube bypass” intended to make a current/future replacement easier. There’s zero impact on cooling performance or any other system. Either approach, factory or otherwise, functions the same.

At this point the cooling system condition isn't really a milage issue..your truck is 25+ years old and since you only have the PO's word that he swapped everything I would be tempted to just get on with it and draw a line under it..my guess is that $200ish will get you every new hose you need. If you have no leaks i wouldn't get too caught up in WYAIT items.
By the way the PHH gates thing does not bypass your rear heater. But remember there are 4 (i think) hoses at the heater end that also need to be replaced.

Last edited:
The little hoses especially those that are curved a little were hard to find for me, but I did end up getting them in gates parts. Glad I did it, and of course i needed to tighten a few clamps after, but then it was good to go after that.

Last edited:

As mentioned earlier by @MoJ, the so-called by pass is an unfortunate description of what it is-a piece of hose. It will not affect anything. It just makes life easier
I understand the added convenience the rear heater provides in cold weather. No question.
However, these pipes and hoses underneath and exposed to road salt...in a 25 years old truck…seems like a risky proposition (that’s the reason most of us choose removing it-one less thing to worry about)
If you are determined keeping the rear heater, perhaps you want to consider replacing the pipes connecting the heater with the valve at the firewall...my two cents

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom