Did I just kill my G Turbo? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok Graeme that is my likely option. I'm guessing you don't want me testing it down to inspect. It's totally shot and not even worth the trouble?

Hi Rusty, ok first this is built by me but not a GTurbo, second the turbo is toast.

My guess is, since it's one I built probably 4-5 years ago, it's not ok at more than 20psi and went out of balance on overspeed or it's a lube issue and the clearances of the bearing increased to the point that the turbine or comp wheel contacted the housings - then it's game over.

A rebuilt kit won't be sufficient, it will need a new shaft and comp wheel. I would send you a core but too many things have changed since "back in the day". And I can't be sure it will fit.

I tell you what though, since you sound like you got zero miles from it, if you pay the freight both ways (send dead turbo to GTurbo on cheapest slow mail), for $500 I will supply you the latest Grunter Extreme.

In addition, as a show of gratitude I extend an offer of "50% discount" to any customers who believed in me enough back then to send me their hard earned $ and buy one of my first series Grunters or Bad Boys. In return you will get the latest version. You will need to slow mail back the old one and pay the freight of the new one.

I have been wanting to do this for a while, it's because of you guys that I have been able to build Gturbo into a "real company" designing the best turbos we can and source the best equipment - like our vsr balancing equipment. Things have changed a lot. A new website will be up soon that will have pics of our facility, equipment and people.

This is truly an awesome offer. I'll be in contact. This was a case if me thinking I had something I didn't which isn't really anyone's fault. I'm so so so stoked to try the latest offering that will better support my 20psi goal or rather a maxed hz pump with great afr goal.

I'll drop the turbo in the next day or so and will leave it as is for you to do with as you like!

Really appreciate the way you've "shown up" for me.

Last edited:
<snip>

Just seems to be the way things go for me. Tinker tinker boom. Tinker tinker boom.

<snip>

I miss driving this thing already...

<snip>
QUOTE]

hug.png

What a offer Graeme ..

For a clear sight.. what it's consider 1st gen G Turbo .. I guess I have one of the firsts, and I would like to have another one :D

I was already in contact with him and wired the funds. Can't wait for the grunter extreme to arrive.

that's true after sales customer service. awesome to see! :clap:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421806257.871243.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421806268.953767.jpg

I ate dinner with this babe tonight. Sexy little thing.

So excited.

Last edited:
A smoking gun:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421899275.582266.jpg

So over Christmas I was wrenching a lot and was getting tons done. One thing I did was install this turbo with the help of some visiting friends. While installing the turbo oil supply and drain with my pal Ivan we double checked the orientation of the gasket on the supply/return fitting. It
Matched perfectly. What we failed to assure was that the oil supply/return was oriented correctly
To the turbo. I must have assumed it only fit one way and just failed to see it.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421899508.440539.jpg

Above is what ended up happening. The oil supply was open to the low pressure side of the turbo bearing and the return was also partially exposed. This little to no lubrication of the bearing and shaft.

You know the rest of the story. This was completely my fault and had nothing to do with GTurbo.

Graeme knowing what I know now. Let me know what I owe you for the rest of the replacement. There is no way your responsible for my mistake. Again I appreciate all you've done and your dramatic show of good faith.

I'll be in touch!

In other news.... The grunter extreme is on and is great! Just as everyone expected.

Tyler (that guy who wrecked his gturbo)

If anything I had a good laugh at this hahahaha

Glad its all sorted out now

apparently the turbo I bought before Tapage's is "2nd Generation" and its exempt. (chuckle)
Glad you dig the thing Tyler.

Whoops!

As an engineer, however, I would never have made that gasket so close to symmetrical for exactly this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom