Did I just find out my drive shaft yoke is broken? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was changing all the fluids under my new truck today and decided to grease everything as well. When I added grease to the zerk on the drive shaft it pushed out old and new grease out the yoke. I have never seen that before, did I just find a cracked yoke?

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_7997.jpg

There is a core plug there, they can pop out from time to time. You need to disassemble and tap in a new plug, Toyota doesn't offer separately from the Yoke.

My memory is vague on the size, I believe it is 35mm. The fit should be tight and hammered into place to seal.

There is a core plug there, they can pop out from time to time. You need to disassemble and tap in a new plug, Toyota doesn't offer separately from the Yoke.

My memory is vague on the size, I believe it is 35mm. The fit should be tight and hammered into place to seal.
thanks a lot. ill pull it off and have a look.

Check this out:

Check this out:

I just got the shaft out, the plug is still there, I am just going to press it back unless there is a reason not to. thanks a lot

If you have too much grease when the two pieces of the driveshaft compress it forces grease out the plug. Would mark how the two piece mate together. Take it apart and clean our all the grease and start over. Just like the tie rods keep adding grease it's going to come out somewhere. Zerks have a spring loaded ball that acts like a check valve. Can tell by the red color of the grease that is been added lately. It's the same principle of using grease to remove a stuck pilot bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom