Did I get the wrong Turbo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I purchased from a fellow mud member a garrett turbo.
The seller said it was a ar.48 on both sides.
But when i opened the turbo today i saw the following things.

Is it really a really a turbo inlet with ar.89?
Cause its for my 3b and if it is then i'm really screwed.
IMG_0917.jpg
IMG_0911.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg

It would appear so. The turbo side does look a little large.

Yeah turbo side is too big, if he told you both are .48 then i didn't delivered what he was suppose to.

That turbo is the factory fitment for a late model isuzu 4BD1T.

It's actually a T25 with a T3 inlet flange and no wastegate. I have one in my parts bin which I bought used just to measure but I've never run it so I don't know when the boost will arrive.
The Isuzus are 3.9 litres, so not far off the 3B displacement but with no wastegate you may have more boost than your engine likes at higher rpm.

BTW thanks for the clear photos. Mine is old and corroded enough that I couldn't clearly read the A/R on the exhaust inlet.

Would any of you guys give the turbo a try?
The seller keeps saying that it would run good.?
The no wastegate also got me worried..

Thanks for the info Dougal

Would any of you guys give the turbo a try?

I'd try it, but if the seller will only refund the money even if it's used. If he will not refund your money if the turbo is used I'd send it back as it is not what you asked for.

The seller keeps saying that it would run good.?

It will likely run fine at higher rpms. With the large turbo the engine needs to move more air to get the turbo spinning. Not too many steep hills in Belgium!
The turbo'd 3B, at least mine, like to run at a lower RPM. Mine is most comfortable and economical at about 2000 - 2200rpm on flat ground. At that speed this turbo will not be putting out much boost.

The no wastegate also got me worried..

Make sure you use a boost gauge to keep an eye on the boost. If you find it over boosting you can add a remote wastegate. Make sure you allow for that possibility in your manifold.

My only concern it's about the low rpm boost conditions .. due to a larger turbine AR.

It's not a low boost turbo. They run about 15psi but I've been unable so far to find anyone who runs one with the holy combination of boost, egt and tacho to get a good indication of exactly when it is going to liven up.

The cold side is actually perfect for your engine Wimpie, but since it uses a larger and shorter turbine wheel than your average T25 it's not possible to swap on the common T25 wastegated housings.
Isuzu did spec the same turbo with a wastegated housing on some of their engines (I haven't nailed down the years or models yet).

One consideration that'll make it difficult to run is the exhaust attachment. The stock application has a dump pipe which bolts to the manifold and is held against the turbo. There is no actual attachment.

One consideration that'll make it difficult to run is the exhaust attachment. The stock application has a dump pipe which bolts to the manifold and is held against the turbo. There is no actual attachment.

did you have a pic to show us how it looks in the engine that use it as factory turbo .. ?

thanks .. it looks like is water cooled too ..

Yes it is, but you don't need to hook up the water lines. It has exactly the same bearing housing and compressor as the T25 I'm currently using, but mine has a different turbine wheel and housing. I don't know how many km mine has done but I've never used the water cooling and haven't had a problem yet.

Yes it is, but you don't need to hook up the water lines.

If it has water lines why tempt fate? I'd rather hook it up and not have to than not hook it up and wish I had!

If it has water lines why tempt fate? I'd rather hook it up and not have to than not hook it up and wish I had!

It has water lines because that core is used for many petrol turbos.

Diesel turbos do not require water cooling which is why the turbos designed and manufactured specifically for diesel engines don't have it.
There is no fate to tempt.

Diesel turbos do not require water cooling which is why the turbos designed and manufactured specifically for diesel engines don't have it.

what .. ?

My CT26 it's water cooled .. and I don't see any relation in a water cooled for a gasser and not for a TD .. it's only a matter of temp ..

what .. ?

My CT26 it's water cooled .. and I don't see any relation in a water cooled for a gasser and not for a TD .. it's only a matter of temp ..

Supras, Celicas, MR2's etc all are petrol and have versions with CT26 turbos. That's why the toyota turbos have water cooled housings, they're used on both petrol and diesels.

Yes it's a matter of temperature and the highest diesel EGT's are much cooler than petrol. But water cooling is about shutdown and when it comes to shutdown an idling diesel produces very cool exhaust which cools the turbo, an idling petrol doesn't.

Last edited:
Supras, Celicas, MR2's etc all are petrol and have versions with CT26 turbos. That's why the toyota turbos have water cooled housings, they're used on both petrol and diesels.

Yes it's a matter of temperature and the highest diesel EGT's are much cooler than petrol. But water cooling is about shutdown and when it comes to shutdown an idling diesel produces very cool exhaust which cools the turbo, an idling petrol doesn't.

Totaly agree .. and the same reason that aply to gassers aply to diesels IMOP .. even more cold the turbo befor shutdown .. even better .. that's why I install a turbo timer in my aplication ..

I don't feel comfy when I shut my engine with EGT over 350ºF

As far as I've seen it at a friends HDJ80 with FT engine that turbo obviously is watercooled. And the manual as well as the parts list show waterlines for the turbos.

Having a phone call with AAI the day before yesterday inquiring about parts, they stressed to NOT connect the watercirculation. They said the cooling system of the engine would heat up the turbo !
I have no knowledge of the heat strain in a turbohousing, but my guess is that the turbo at the end will run cooler with waterlines connected to the cooling system of the engine.
According the factory install the turbo is fed from the lower radiator hose (connection on the thermostat housing) being the 'coldest' part in the system.
My feeling (and it's just a feeling) is that under slow-moving conditions (climbing steep hills, sanddunes in the desert) and high ambient temps the turbo will operate at lower temps compared to no cooling circuit connected.

So there you go again.....AAI in my eyes is very experienced in adding aftermarket turbo's and I assume their advise is based on years of experience and knowledge. But what about the Toyo engineers do they install unnecessary parts on their engines ? ;)

Last edited:
They said the cooling system of the engine would heat up the turbo!

I find that VERY hard to believe! The day my cooling system is hotter than my turbo in normal operation is the day that I'm going to be VERY concerned about my engine.

The only time my turbo is at or less than 200F (which is about the maximum for the water temperature) is when the engine has been idling or I'm using engine braking down hill. Normal running and it's at a minimum of 600F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom