Did I buy a lemon 97lx 450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 94 is triple locked and came with cdl button my buddies 94 no lockers came with cdl button my 95 had lockers no cdl button and yes the wiring is there for that. Eas just saying op said triple locked so that would mean lockers and button....
They all have the CDL just not the button. My 94 doesn’t have the button. So axle lockers are triple locked regardless of button or not. I’ve seen some of your tech posts, so I’m sure you know that but…

@vipergrhd and @leonard_nemoy you guys are out to lunch. I’ll do $2,500. You’re trying to steal it. 😂

They all have the CDL just not the button. My 94 doesn’t have the button. So axle lockers are triple locked regardless of button or not. I’ve seen some of your tech posts, so I’m sure you know that but…

@vipergrhd and @leonard_nemoy you guys are out to lunch. I’ll do $2,500. You’re trying to steal it. 😂
So your saying my 95 is triple locked ha ... low lock brings the cdl can do the pin mod

My 94 is triple locked and came with cdl button my buddies 94 no lockers came with cdl button my 95 had lockers no cdl button and yes the wiring is there for that. Eas just saying op said triple locked so that would mean lockers and button....

91 & 92 models came fitted from the factory with the CDL dash switch. In 93 to 97 models if there is a dash switch that was added by a previous owner.

I bought yesterday a 97 lx450 triple locked and it would notstart when pulling away and on the 45 minute drive home 10 minutes in the oil pressure dropped below the bottom line no light. I freaked out and pulled over and couldn’t shut off because didn’t have a jump box and didn’t want to get stranded so just added oil while running worried it was very low on oil. Got home it wasn’t low and drove 40 minutes with an extra two quarts.
Needs a starter for sure.
Lockers and diff lock not engaging.
Oil gauge reading very low.

Guy “rebuilt” the motor during Covid looks super clean doesn’t leak oil.

View attachment 3361842

View attachment 3361843

View attachment 3361844
OK Florida Man,
It’s clearly not only a lemon, it’s a rotten lemon. It’s going to be a bottomless money pit. Save yourself a lot of time and heartache. Sell it now. I’ll give you $2550 AND a beautiful black ‘08 BMW X5.

Lots of great advice, just make sure you establish the proper expectations, ones where you spend money!

It’s a Land Cruiser, with a different name, it is definitely not a lemon. Whether you overpaid is the question, but even then, with time and years of enjoyment it is difficult to do if you have the right expectations.

There are many threads where people buy an 80 series after seeing the prices on Bring A Trailer etc. and read these are the greatest truck ever built (they are, just not the cheapest) and go buy one for what they think is a great deal and are shocked when they find themselves spending $1000’s afterwards on a 30 year old truck.

It is an Cool old truck, Enjoy, welcome to Mud and 80 series ownership!

No word from the guy. He probably shoved it over a cliff. K code or pic of diff housing is clutch!

So your saying my 95 is triple locked ha ... low lock brings the cdl can do the pin mod
If your 95 has axle lockers (which you said it did), then yes it is triple locked. All USDM 80’s have a locking center diff. Some have the button, some don’t. But all are either center locking only, or triple locked.

If your 95 has axle lockers (which you said it did), then yes it is triple locked. All USDM 80’s have a locking center diff. Some have the button, some don’t. But all are either center locking only, or triple locked.
Good description. The button is added on the later trucks, never owned an early one so don’t recall their stock configuration, to allow you to lock the center differential in high range.

As stock, the later trucks lock the center differential automatically when shifted to low range, all 80’s have the ability to lock the center differential.

Last edited:
The pin 7 mod is not required when you add the CDL dash switch. The switch allows for locking in high range. The pin 7 mod is done to eliminate the automatic locking in low range.
Ha! Learned something new, I went to alot of trouble 15-20 years ago to remove that pin for a feature I don’t think I have used!

Having high range center locked is pretty handy!!!

Edit: I edited the original for accuracy!

Reactions: ppc
How quickly we can take a purchase thread to tech in the 80’s forum, good work!

You should check out the 200 forum, there every tech thread ends up a purchase thread or what is the best cell phone holder!

Last edited:
Ha! Learned something new, I went to alot of trouble 15-20 years ago to remove that pin for a feature I don’t think I have used!

Having high range center locked is pretty handy!!!

Edit: I edited the original for accuracy!
I have found that center locked in light snow on asphalt works surprising well however full locked in the same situation is asking for trouble.

@thunderturd : focus on these questions first:

"it would not start when pulling away"
Can you be more specific what that means??

"10 minutes in the oil pressure dropped below the bottom line---"
Did the needle come back up or is it still below the bottom line?

Does the needle move at all when you start the engine, or is it completely dead?

Where was the needle before; above the 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line ??

As already mentioned, the Oil pressure gauge (needle) is not very accurate and can vary between vehicles, but if it was somewhere above the first (bottom) line then dropped to well below the bottom line, then either the connection is bad (wiring), the gauge is bad, or you've lost all oil pressure.

To be clear; the vehicle has two oil gauges or sensors with independent functions: one is for the engine OIL LEVEL only (not related to pressure) that is the orange light on the dash. The needle gauge (left upper instrument cluster) is for OIL PRESSURE only (not related to oil level).
I didn’t bring any tools because it was after work on my way home. Wasn’t sure if it was a dead battery, bad terminal or starter. That’s why I didn’t want to turn it off on the way home.

The needle only came up with rpm’s but only slightly above the bottom line.

The needle dose move slightly when I start it. Just concerned it Low pressure. I bought a manual gauge to check it. Hoping it’s bad wires/sending unit/ gauge. And not a piece of RTV stuck in a oil galley from the “rebuild”

I wonder what he means by “rebuilt?”

OP, don’t take this the wrong way but this is not the car for you.
The guy that I bought it from didn’t speak English so google translate was our only friend. The engine looked great and he said he did gaskets and seals but who knows what he actually did. My main concern and reason for the post was about oil pressure or lack there of.

Lots of great advice, just make sure you establish the proper expectations, ones where you spend money!

It’s a Land Cruiser, with a different name, it is definitely not a lemon. Whether you overpaid is the question, but even then, with time and years of enjoyment it is difficult to do if you have the right expectations.

There are many threads where people buy an 80 series after seeing the prices on Bring A Trailer etc. and read these are the greatest truck ever built (they are, just not the cheapest) and go buy one for what they think is a great deal and are shocked when they find themselves spending $1000’s afterwards on a 30 year old truck.

It is an Cool old truck, Enjoy, welcome to Mud and 80 series ownership!

To be honest I paid $8500. It is definitely triple locked. I crawled under the completely rust free underside and clearly had front and rear elockers. I’m happy with the vehicle I just freaked out because “no oil” pressure and no start in 10 minutes I was worried. But after reading some other posts I’m assuming the lack of locker engament is do to the CDL sensor not reading. So got one today so we will see.

Does it start now?
What does the dipstick show?
Starter is definitely the culprit. Oil was half way up the dip stick. Now I feel like a dip stick for adding it. I was just worried it was super low and if I shut it off I would be stranded on the side of the road.

Definitely drain some oil and while you're at it install a Toyota Oil filter if there's anything else on there.

The starter (if Denso) can be rebuilt (partially) by just replacing the contacts and plunger, Toyota sells the kits or aftermarket parts online. Been discussed here and on You tubby. If you buy a new starter most people go with either Toyota reman or Denso (Rockauto).

The fact that the pressure needle moves a little means at least the circuit is intact, but was it higher before and if so where was the needle?

Good to check the oil pressure directly, you'll need the BSPT 1/8 adapter IIRC for the oil pressure sensor port. if you replace the pressure sensor/sender the part # 83520-60011.

To be honest I paid $8500. It is definitely triple locked. I crawled under the completely rust free underside and clearly had front and rear elockers. I’m happy with the vehicle I just freaked out because “no oil” pressure and no start in 10 minutes I was worried. But after reading some other posts I’m assuming the lack of locker engament is do to the CDL sensor not reading. So got one today so we will see.
If it is rust free and triple locked and most everything else can be managed with maintenance you will be in good shape, even if worst case required major engine work it isn’t the end if the world!

They are great fun trucks, do require some dollars and mechanical effort along the way!

But worth it, Enjoy!

Last edited:
you sure it was the oil pressure light and not the oil level light? the FJ80 I just bought freaked me out at first because the oil light came on but it was the oil level light and even full of oil it would come on sometimes. i replaced the sensor (not cheap unfortunately, like $200) and now its all good

Looks like a clean rig, enjoy it!

What oil filter does it have? There were reports of wix filters causing issues. I would drain the oil and change the oil and oil filter with a Toyota oil filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom