Did Fj40 Land Cruiser's ever come with a rear bench seat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indygbd

SILVER Star
Threads
Did Fj40 Land Cruiser ever come with a rear bench seat from the factory? I have never seen one, however a guy told me one he bought new had one in it. Was the a dealer option or something?

That is what I thought. It seems like some people claim it was a option and very few were ever imported that way. Trying to figure it out.

I am talking about a front facing rear bench not longer side facing jump seats.

Did Fj40 Land Cruiser ever come with a rear bench seat from the factory? I have never seen one, however a guy told me one he bought new had one in it. Was the a dealer option or something?

I am talking about a front facing rear bench not longer side facing jump seats.

Hell no... Nothing like that would have come from Toyota anyway.. (But dealers are free to fit non-Toyota ideas/options if they want to do so to suit certain customers.)

Lack of legroom would mean a rear forward-facing bench seat would be suitable only for small children, a dog, or similar.

:beer:

I can't recall if when the Early 40 had these or not with the FST or not... But... I suppose it is possible.

Factory rear foward facing seat for fj25 pic:

image.jpg

40's did have them elsewere however with the 'L' package and 'lx' package...

But... you asking for USA imported right?

I can't recall if when the Early 40 had these or not with the FST or not... But... I suppose it is possible.

Factory rear foward facing seat for fj25 pic:

View attachment 1031435

40's did have them elsewere however with the 'L' package and 'lx' package...

But... you asking for USA imported right?

I'd love to see a photo of 3 average size adults sitting in that seat Johnny :lol:

Edit: I guess if Toyota did it for the FJ25 then it's conceivable that they also did it for the FJ40. But I was around when they were new and never ever saw any. And furthermore I can't find any evidence of them in FJ40 parts catalogs.

And having said that ..... I just went to look at a 1965 USA parts catalogue (covering models FJ40, 40L, 42L, 43, 43L) that I have and it shows this:
RearBench.jpg

So does that mean I must take back all I've just said? :D

Last edited:
I'd love to see a photo of 3 average size adults sitting in that seat Johnny :lol:

Edit: I guess if Toyota did it for the FJ25 then it's conceivable that they also did it for the FJ40. But I was around when they were new and never ever saw any. And furthermore I can't find any evidence of them in FJ40 parts catalogs.

And having said that ..... I just went to look at a 1965 USA parts catalogue (covering models FJ40, 40L, 42L, 43, 43L) that I have and it shows this:
View attachment 1031446

So does that mean I must take back all I've just said? :D

Tom, nice find!
I'm sure we can source one of those bench seats in the Arabian Land Cruiser grave yard. :cheers:

Hi all
Yes Toyota did bring out a 6 seater 40 series FJ40 LX and the BJ 42 or was was it A BJ 40 LX here in Australia . The rear seats facing forward.
These labeled LX had the distinctive feature of the front windscreen being fitted with 3 windscreen wipers .
I under stand this was an Australian build only.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Looks like yes they did come with forward facing rear seat, I love the information here. 1 thing I have found out for sure, never say toyota never did that, seems 90% of the time they did.

Lx seats are awesome... they fold up just like the side jump seats... i think

On LX models, only the smaller right side seat folds down and then up and is secured by a small seat-belted catch--done to gain access to the seating area from the rear doors. The longer bench is fixed.
The center armrest is attached to the fixed bench and can be lowered or raised to help getting in and out.

Another available option was the seating in the BJ44/46: a continuous long bench spanning the entire rear over the wheelwells. The seat bottom parts over the wheelwells were fixed and the rear seatback bolsters for them were built-into the folding center seat back .

Seat backs on the LX models folded down, but not tuck-and-tumble like the 44/46 model, so unlike the standard rear inward facing jump seats, a large floor space was not fully useable.

For the 44/46, despite upholstery over the actual wheelwells, sitting forward over the wheelwell area was not practical, so the useable seat width was not as large as it seemed, despite how many persons the factory advertised as seating.

holy bat crap i actually had a 64 fj40 with a rear seat it sucked and it was hard to get in and out of so i tossed it for some side seats.there was no heater and it never had one installed when i got it ,had a crank tools and all the neat stuff .hubcaps were still in the wrappers in the glove box .it also had some wierd rear corner windows that i have seen here once or twice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom