Did Big O tires cut a hole in my floorboards? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so yesterday afternoon. Just had my tires rotated. Fixed a flat and had the alignment done.

Now. It sounds like there's a hole in my floorboards. Meaning the engine and or transmission noise is way louder on start up. But has a hollow sound to it, like you're listening to you're neighbors through a wall with a cup to your ear.

There's also a faint grinding noise on turns and accelerating from right front.
Like they lubed bearings with sand.

Any ideas?

They're closed to today. Taking back in tomorrow.

elevate each wheel independently and spin . If they only did what they were supposed to it's hard ti imagine an alignment and flat fix doing that.
.....unless they somehow pushed you to 15 deg caster and the u joint is binding.. not sure how they could do that. Faint grinding in turns could be a worn birfield....but just in case , check for that sand

Alignment? Given you can't easily change caster or camber on an 80... There's only toe-in they can touch and I bet that wasn't touched.

I assume you mean they balanced the wheels.

Pull the wheels off and check for monkey work. I presume you have some knowledge of what your brakes/rotors/etc should look like - in case there is something amiss?

Maybe they jacked up the vehicle by a prop shaft and/or unijoint :)

cheers,
george.

Hmm. No. They did some alignment.
And yes balanced tires.

Their print out reads.
Front right camber.
Before .2 Actual .4
They also did toe on front left
Before .2 Actual .08
Nothing in rear.

I looked under for signs of jacking. On the U and prop jacking. They did use a floor jack, but I think under the axles. I don't see any other signs.

Don't see a great disturbance in .25 inch a layer grease and gunk. I do see where they had jack stands on the axels.

I just drove around block. I think it might be exhaust related. Soundlng like a vibrating loose sound. But only in drive. Not neutral.

I don't think it's the birfs.

Will pull wheels later and spin and inspect.

For now have the soccer game thing with the kids.

On man, just read the service print too....they torqued lugs nuts to 108 too. SOB $&#%!!

Thanks so far.

There are holes in the foot wells that are plugged with those round, plastic disks. And if you dislodge the grommet in the body protection the wires going into the passenger door, you'll get surprising amounts of noise. Just two long shots from someone who currently has his interior stripped. :)

Hard to imagine they changed the camber on a straight axle rig, without bending something.

Me thinks they owe me some $$ back for the fake work they did.

I Pulled the front wheel off.
Can't find anything...odd. They def over torqued the wheel nuts.
But No grinding when free spinning. Didn't have time to check the other three.

Still have no clue what those monkeys fouled with. Grrrrrr.

:bang:

Gonna be a fun morning at big o.

Me thinks they owe me some $$ back for the fake work they did.

I Pulled the front wheel off.
Can't find anything...odd. They def over torqued the wheel nuts.
But No grinding when free spinning. Didn't have time to check the other three.

Still have no clue what those monkeys fouled with. Grrrrrr.

Gonna be a fun morning at big o.
Big 0 on L Street in downtown Sacramento?

Don't get me started.

:lol:

Ha. It's worse. @surfpig It's not actually a Bg O. It's a BiG O clone wanna be with he same branding, just no O. It's Big Discount Tire in alameda.

I just call them BiG O because I'm hating them so much right now now

camber readings can change if the alignment head is dislodged from the wheel. the camber itself cannot be easily changed on our trucks. tire rotation can cause noises as well. whup-whup-whup can come from tires that are cupped, which can happen from bad alignment, inadequate tire pressures, or from not performing rotations often enough.

According to the big tire bananas, camber reading, it's an error in their machine from putting rig on the rack. So @86tuning for the win (closest answer)

Drive noise. Appears to be they bent or dislodged rear brake shield. We'll see after another test drive.

Looking for a reason why noise is louder in cabin.

I got an oh s*** out of them on the 109 torque setting on wheel nuts.

According to the big tire bananas, camber reading, it's an error in their machine from putting rig on the rack. So @86tuning for the win (closest answer)

Drive noise. Appears to be they bent or dislodged rear brake shield. We'll see after another test drive.

Looking for a reason why noise is louder in cabin.

I got an oh s*** out of them on the 109 torque setting on wheel nuts.

That's the stuff nightmares are made of.

Did they ACTUALLY rotate the tires?

Your year should have shank style nuts and should only be torqued to 78 LB-FT if I recall correctly. (Factory alloy wheels) (Someone please correct my numbers if they're off)

How do you jack up a dust shield by rotating tires? Dear God! It's a simple job people!!!!! It never ceases to amaze me how some of these monkeys survive and are allowed to repopulate.

I have heard of shops intentionally yanking on exhaust pipes or wiring to cause "other issues" to bring in more work down the road...... If I caught some yahoo doing that on my truck, I'd........then I'd......... and then........

Yup. That's what they did. They twearked the dust shield. Shocking how much noise that can make. All back to normal.

Torqued to 76. Best part...at the top of the service slip it says "customer requests 76 ft/lbs" (was in the computer from my last visit). they just made up their own work order when the put the wheels back on.

Hope they are not doing that to all the LCs they work on.

I think 108 is the spec for steel wheels are not wrong, but just don't know WTF they are doing.

Today. I watched the guy "spin" on the nuts with the air gun, then "finish" it with the torque wrench. Only, the torque wrench clicked without moving a 1/32 of an inch. (I don't think he's THAT GOOD with and impact gun).

So I made them back off and do it all by hand.

Well. Thanks again mud!!!

Last edited:
image.jpg

Depends on the lug nut type (mine is a 1994). After a flat repair I had to have the guys at Discount Tire bump up the torque on my lugs to 108 ft/lb, the work order they handed me had the wheel torque at 80 ft/lb. The service manager didn't argue the point and took care of it before I left.

upload_2017-9-11_11-21-0.png

Not only are there differences with steel VS alloy wheels, there are differences with the shank style VS acorn nuts.

My 96 (made in 8/95) has allow wheels with acorn nuts. I think those are 95 LB-FT.

The 96+ with shank style nuts are the 76 LB-FT.

The steel wheels use acorn and should be 108 LB-FT.

The acorn VS Shank style changed mid-1996.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom