did a little jeep'n this weekend in the sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time on the trail with this setup. Next time I'll air down my tires a little more (15#) and try disconnecting the rear stabalizer bar. I'm addicted. need. more. mods =)

Vids, pano, pics here

5UMN7iol.jpg

That's a beautiful area you have there.

As far as the bars go, you'll see more benefit from disconnecting the front. Your rear has plenty of travel, but it's your front that needs help. In that second video, about 2/3 of the way up that climb, you can see your driver's front unloading while the suspension is barely flexing. Personally, I'd remove both.

Anecdotal reasoning: I removed both bars on my FZJ80 and even with 35s and a 4" lift, body roll is more pronounced but acceptable. Once the body rolls over and settles in to the turn, it's no less stable than when it had bars. Benefits include a much smoother ride on and off trail, and an approximate 3" gain of total travel (for me, at least; IFS probably won't gain that much).

Otherwise... it's really nice to see a Sequoia wheeling; I'm dancing around the possibility of ditching my 80 in favor of an '05-'07 Sequoia. Please post more videos so that I may be inspired.

Idea- Help increase the collective knowledge base by finding a loading dock ramp somewhere to flex out on with the sway bars installed. Drive up just far enough to pick a wheel up off the ground, and measure the distance from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of your fender arch on all four corners, as well as the distance you travel up the ramp. Remove your sways and do it again. Maybe get some pictures as well. This could help set the baseline on a future suspension thread similar to the suspension sticky in the 80 series section.

Thanks, appreciate the insight!

This was the first time I had ever used the center diff lock as well, which worked great. The guy in the white cherokee had quick disconnects on his bars, I like that idea... I'm pretty new to wheelin' and you're right there's not a lot out there for sequoias -- that's why I posted some content =)

When I get a free day on a weekend I'll get those measurements with video and pics.

Also the only time my tires rubbed with my setup is when we were going back down and was going too fast and the front would rub a little.

No problem, bud. I started out with a '98 Tacoma back in '05 and struggled with the lack of travel from the front. Pulling the sway bar helped enough and didn't induce enough body roll for me to bother with quick disconnects. Before you buy the QD's and go about adapting them to your truck, I would suggest just unbolting the links and safety wiring the bar up and out of the way to see how you like it on and off the street. If you end up liking how it performs on the road, simply removing them will save you a few bucks and some time at the trail head.

If you still have traction issues, a rear locker will go a very, very long way towards making up for IFS. Harrop makes a great unit for your truck; I have a couple in my 80 and they're far better than the OEM lockers. Unfortunately, they also make up for a lack of skill... IFS forces you to read the trail and be a better driver.

*edit- what part of the wheel well did you rub?

Last edited:
All I see are a bunch of green trees and some tail lights. ;)

Looks decent, but there's definitely travel to be found in that front end for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom