Dick Cepek Mud Country - a year later (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
So it's been just over a year on the tires and here are the results:
About 25,000kms driven on them.
about 25-28% worn (the Detroit locker in the rear helped with chewing them up faster).

Had a chance to play in the snow and they still work great, no slipping, good traction, didn't have any issues with ruts in the snow. They still perform better than the old BFG M/Ts did (even when they were new).

Even on snow with ice under it it took a fair bit to get it to slide (intentionally) and that was in 2WD, in 4WD the truck did really well. Occasionally the rear full time locker proved once again to be a hindrance but it was manageable and not the fault of the tires.

On regular, dry pavement they still grab the ruts in the street and are a little hard to control that way, but that is an issue with almost all wider tires. I still recommend them.

At that rate you will get 100,000 km out of them ? Not possible on a 6,000 lb rig.

yeah it sounds too good to be true.
I am curious what other people are getting for the life of a mud tire....

Good to hear Mat, those tires are on my short list for my next set. Pretty much down to those vs the Cooper STTs.

FWIW, my 255/85R16 BFG MTs must have around 85,000 kms on them. I put at least 70,000 on them on the old 70, and now another 15,000 on the 74. They still have a fair amount of meat left.

pretty sure no one intends to run their tires to 100% worn.. sounds like a realistic measurement of wear to date..

This is a good bit of info Mat- maybe we should have a tire thread with similar info you posted and impressions?

I have the same tires 35x12.5R15 size.I got them 2 years ago (e-bay $190 each) , 65k on them now and still 60% thread left - open diffs.

About the only negative thing I have to say about them is that they only come in the usual load range, can't get them in a higher load range (like Glenn's or Mike McT).
No body with a brain runs theirs down to slick rubber, realistically you should get rid of them when they stop being useful for what they were designed for. I'm thinking I might get good use out of them until they're down to 25%.
In Marcin's case that's actually really good as he does spend a lot more time on pavement so it proves that the wear is actually rather good. Especially for a tire that performs really well off-road.

I'm about 12,000km on mine, and so far I'm very pleased. Only weak point in my opinion is on road in the slush/ice mixtures we get around here. OK for a mud tire I suppose though.

Excellent traction off road though, dig well in the soft stuff, and ride well. For the price I'd buy them again.

if they made those cooper stts in 255 i would concider going for them
i am thinking toyo m55s but i am wondering if i should just go bfg mt.
I am set on the 255 thing. I just don't want to pay out the ass.
The truck will be getting mild offroad, logging road and highway.

Does anyone know when a new tire spec says 19/32" tread depth (for example) is that down to the wear bar or the bottom of the tread? The effective wear range to pro-rate mileage should be down to the wear bar.

Pretty sure it's to the bottom of the tread.

In Marcin's case that's actually really good as he does spend a lot more time on pavement so it proves that the wear is actually rather good. Especially for a tire that performs really well off-road.

And with the amount of times Marcin goes off of pavement he could run them down to slicks. He should get lots out of them.;)

Nice feedback. They were on my shortlist...

gb

Getting them sipped would give better pavement wear, give them better manners on the slush, snow and the wet or on solid rock. I am not sure if they would be more prone to chunk out or not. I see they list Discount Tire as a distributor but Discount Tire does not list them on their web page. Les Schwab sells them and also does siping. I might have to look closer at them and check out Les Schwab for prices next time I go to Bellingham. I wonder if siped how they would compare to say a Nokian Hakka on snow and hard pack?

I would not sipe these tires, they already come with factory cuts in the lugs, sipping them would reduce their (or any other tire's) life span. Especially in scenarios where you do off road on rocks (like the Chilko trip we did), that terrain would rip chunks out of the tires. About the only time I would consider sipping would be with a tire like the original BFG M/T where all you have is large rubber lugs that have no additional cuts in them. Even with that (from what I've seen on tires that have that done) I think I would stay away from the idea. Find tires that have the pattern you need.
The Dick Cepek's did really well in slush this year, I can't complain.

I paid $288 per tire (ex mounting/balancing) for my Goodyear 315s after the online 10% rebate, which I got in the mail $160.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom