Diamond plate tub corner installation.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any pics of installing diamond plate tub corners? Is it easy, hard, how many banana job?

Do you use sheet metal screws? Is there any prep work that needs to be done?

A few things need to be prepped:

1) Wash fender corners, cut out all visible rust and/or use rust inhibitor on any area that may develop unseen rust.

2) Coat second surface of diamond plate with a product that will stop electrolysis. I used rattle can bed liner, but I'm sure there are many other products.

3) I would use something heavier than sheet metal screws for install. I used 1/4" thru bolts, but thats just me.

4) After install seal all edges of diamond plate w/ silicone to prevent water from seeping in.

Those are the basics. If I've missed something or anyone thinks I'm flat out wrong I'm sure it will follow closely behind.....

Good luck.

Use Stainless bolts and seal the tops and sides, but not the bottom with silicone. This way if it gets condensation under the panel it can seep out.
See the pictures below. If you have any bondo in the area make sure it is well sealed. If not, it could like mine when I pulled of the alum. diamond plate.
corner to post.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think you want to use stainless bolts with the aluminum. Stainless and aluminum dont mix- causes the auminium to oxidize.

I would use steel diamondplate corner protection if you have to go this route. but IMO, no diamondplate looks best.

-Dustin

dustin said:
I dont think you want to use stainless bolts with the aluminum. Stainless and aluminum dont mix- causes the auminium to oxidize.

-Dustin

sure about this?

I have used stainless hardwear installing floor panels on my 1965 series II rover, and this has not been an issue....10+years, salt, water, mud, etc.

-Steve

Guess we will see what happens the next 10 years....

A number of years back, 1/4" stainless button-head allen screws were all the rage for installing aluminum to jeeps and toyotas..

Have not seen the aluminum rot away from the stainless fastener as much as a mild steel one...

-Steve

Um, you DEFINATELY want to use stainless hardware on aluminum otherwise it WILL cause a reaction. Trust me. Use 316 Stainless. That is all we use on our all aluminum boats. 316 ONLY

Just incase you were wondering I am and ABYC Certified Corrosion Technician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom