Diagnostic help - (suspension/brakes/blinker) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured i'd try to save some time and post once on a few issues. Any help is much appreciated and earns you a beer if you're local to ATX. ;)

1985 FJ60
Manual w/OD
Chevy 400 small block

1 - When turning hard especially if clutch disengaged, I get a big Thunk, Thunk, Thunk, Thunk. I'm guessing CV joint, no? Pretty sure it's both sides but seems to be worse when turning left.

2 - Intermittent very soft braking. Cold/hot, doesn't seem to matter. Happens rarely but enough to notice. The pedal will simply go almost all the way to the floor. Pumping seems to rebuild pressure. Most of the time it stops like a champ. Had master replaced. No problems for a few weeks. Back again. Not losing any fluid at all. Thoughts?

3 - Here's a fun one. Blinkers work most of the time but occasionally just decide to make a constant buzzing sound when engaged and not work at all. Almost like they're not clicking but stuck. Relay? Signal switch itself? Where to start?

1. These trucks are solid axle so no CV joint. Rather we have knuckles that have our wheel bearings and what not in them. Probably need to do a complete knuckle rebuild. Many guys out there have done it, basically a Rite of Passage on these trucks. Very simply and VERY messy.

2. Sounds like a dying brake master. Check the bottom of the brake master where it connects to the booster to see if it is leaking. Check FSMs in my sig for other diagnostic items. Very easy job to do and do yourself a favor and bleed the brakes, could just be some bubbles in the lines.

3. Sounds like a ground issue somewhere... Start with the relay to ensure that there is not an issue, then move to the bulbs and their relevant housings to see that everything else is fine. Once done with that check the stalk on the steering wheel to ensure that there are no issues there.

1. These trucks are solid axle so no CV joint. Rather we have knuckles that have our wheel bearings and what not in them. Probably need to do a complete knuckle rebuild. Many guys out there have done it, basically a Rite of Passage on these trucks. Very simply and VERY messy.

2. Sounds like a dying brake master. Check the bottom of the brake master where it connects to the booster to see if it is leaking. Check FSMs in my sig for other diagnostic items. Very easy job to do and do yourself a favor and bleed the brakes, could just be some bubbles in the lines.

3. Sounds like a ground issue somewhere... Start with the relay to ensure that there is not an issue, then move to the bulbs and their relevant housings to see that everything else is fine. Once done with that check the stalk on the steering wheel to ensure that there are no issues there.

Thanks!

1 - Honestly, I meant knuckles. I've had my wife's car on the brain and therefore CV joints popped out. Good to know my assumption, albeit mistyped, was correct.

2 - Read a bit more carefully. We had that replaced. Brand new. No leaks, I swear. Has been bleed THOROUGHLY to prevent bubbles. Any other guesses?

3 - Yeah that was sorta the path I was going to take, but was curious if there was a "Oh the stalks die all the time on these things" or similar that might give me a shortcut. Oh well, off to get the multimeter.

1 - Yeah then time to probably do a knuckle rebuild. Look at one's that offer the Marlin Crawler Eco seals, much burlier than the Toyota OEM and most guys offer them. Call someone like Kurt @cruiseroutfit or Georg @ Valley Hybrid (@orangefj45) for a kit like that.

2 - What do your front calipers and the inside of your rear drums look like? Any leaks? This would be where I would probably start with an inspection of those items (which could result in the occasional soft pedal if it decides to leak suddenly) and then a subsequent replacement or rebuild of the calipers/wheel cylinders. Again not a hard job to do just something that is time consuming.

3 - These trucks are pretty bomb proof and there is nothing that "just dies all the time" on them. Try and determine WHERE the buzzing is coming from and that will be your first indicator of where to start.

Probably turn signal relay.

Check the Body Electrical chapter in the Chassis-Body FSM for procedure on how to test the relay.

Download FSMs here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fsms.743084/

Relay Block FJ60 from Chassis-body 1980 repair manual.png

Check your uni joints for number 1 also.

Number 2 could be a range of things but it sounds like seized calipers

Number 3 sound like the flasher relay is dying, the bimetallic contacts and cap hate moisture or can leak and its a pretty cheap easy to thing to change to check

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom